Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Lifter tick...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifter tick...?

Howdy,

My lifter in Cyl#3 is ticking *sometimes*. Does that mean I should drive it really easy? Or is it not really even a big deal?

Thanks guys.

Also, how hard is this to fix?
    2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
    JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
    My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

is it a ticking??? or a sorta like a popping??

because i've rebuilt a few h22a's.. top to bottom.. and those 2 sounds mean 2 totally different things...

a "ticking" could just mean you are in severe need of a valve adjustment...

a "popping" could be the result that your lost-motion assemblies are starting to stick.. since you have an h22a...

^^ we could rule that out if you had a stock motor since non-vtec motors do not have lost-motions..

1990 Accord EX-R 4door
    5speed, *H22a Power*

-4 Doors are better because there is more of me to pass you with!-

++Proud to be Powered By Honda++

Comment

Valve adjustment for you

Comment

I see. Another intresting thing that I noticed. If I rev the motor a little, to say...2.7k...then take my foot off the gas...some times the ehaust hickups...like a small pop...? Is this in advocation for a vavle adjustment?

What all is involved with one of those? Is the motor safe to drive sorta hard? Is this something I need to get done tommarow?

Thanks guys for the awesome help.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTempest
          I see. Another intresting thing that I noticed. If I rev the motor a little, to say...2.7k...then take my foot off the gas...some times the ehaust hickups...like a small pop...? Is this in advocation for a vavle adjustment?

What all is involved with one of those? Is the motor safe to drive sorta hard? Is this something I need to get done tommarow?

Thanks guys for the awesome help.

exhaust hiccups.. COULD be a result of poor valve adjustments.. or below/above spec.. since the valves might be opening or closing too much or not enough.. but it could just be that ur motor is running alil on the rich side

step by step instructions for valve adjustment... (if you feel you can do it yourself) if not.. take it to a shop.. or someone that knows honda motors very well...

use SHOPKEY 5 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=19673

if you havent used it before.. log in.. choose your vehicle. h22a would be a 97+ prelude

then click on REPAIR.. in the list find ADJUSTMENTS (first one).. then on the right side bar.. choose VALVE CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENTS..

then once the page loads.. scroll up just a tiny bit to see the step-step instructions..WITH pix.. PLUS.. the OE specification for the adjustment..

thats alil easier than typing out everything to do..lol good luck

1990 Accord EX-R 4door
          5speed, *H22a Power*

Comment

Originally posted by 4genaccordfreak
            exhaust hiccups.. COULD be a result of poor valve adjustments.. or below/above spec.. since the valves might be opening or closing too much or not enough.. but it could just be that ur motor is running alil on the rich side

step by step instructions for valve adjustment... (if you feel you can do it yourself) if not.. take it to a shop.. or someone that knows honda motors very well...

use SHOPKEY 5 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=19673

if you havent used it before.. log in.. choose your vehicle. h22a would be a 97+ prelude

then click on REPAIR.. in the list find ADJUSTMENTS (first one).. then on the right side bar.. choose VALVE CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENTS..

then once the page loads.. scroll up just a tiny bit to see the step-step instructions..WITH pix.. PLUS.. the OE specification for the adjustment..

thats alil easier than typing out everything to do..lol good luck
            Oh wow!!!! just found the problem with my car.... I always wonder why it would hiccup.
            Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
            registration is free

Comment

thanks for the link. shopkey5 = that shit! =)

Is the motor safe to drive as is?

Comment

^^ yes it is... but be sure to make the proper adjustsments soon.. or the noise will eventually get worse and worse..

be sure to adjust ALL the valves.. not just the ones that are making the noise..

1990 Accord EX-R 4door
                5speed, *H22a Power*

Comment

Originally posted by koolkoreanked
                  Oh wow!!!! just found the problem with my car.... I always wonder why it would hiccup.
                  mine hiccuped too... so i adjusted the valves and it still hiccupeded... i eventually figured out my intake tube was arching on my plug wires coming off the dizzy... so i zip tied it outta the way

Comment

Working...
                  X