Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

EGR Block off Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AsheCb7
    how would a richer mix cuz higher exhaust temp? not to argue justwamt why you think it does. becuase the idea of the egr then defys your theory if youd like we could talk through PM
    i think running rich makes EGT cooler. Gas is supposed to be "cool". theoretically when u are at WOT u are dumping in more fuel and ur engine runs cooler. compared to running lean which makes EGT hotter. EGT is another way of measuring air/fuel mixture. the cooler the reading the richer u are running and the hotter the reading the leaner. i think that is the main reason for selling EGT gauges... more accurate air/fuel reading. by the way EGT mean Exhaust Gas Temperature if anyeone didnt know.

anyway i think nowdays the EGR closes at WOT and opens up at partial or something like that using engine vacuum or cpu signals or whatever. so pretty much nowdays using an EGR blocking plate will only decrease gas mileage and sometimes even hurt performance at low end. i dunno about our CB7s but newer cars are like that now i believe.
    Last edited by SenseiAccord; 09-17-2005, 01:38 AM.

Comment

hank you for the back up see i knew all that stuff i learned in school wasnt BS

Comment

so whats the final verdict here....is it worth the $40 or not? any noticeable gains?

Comment

Originally posted by acrophobia
          so whats the final verdict here....is it worth the $40 or not? any noticeable gains?
          unless someone shows us a dyno run with the egr plate not installed and then installed and shows some gains... dont get it. u might have to pay $40 for that and more at the pumps for nothing.

Comment

it actually is worth it... what most people seem to forget is that most of us are modding engines that are 10+ years old... many with from the factory EGR valves... which in many cases are so crudded up with years of carbon that they are either stuck open or stuck closed... all without throwing a code...

I've done it on my A1 with I/H/test pipe/bored TB/delta 272 and I noticed a bit of difference... nothing too major just less bucking on shifts...but a difference nonetheless.
            SM4 CB3 ACCORD 2.0Si______________________________________________

Comment

i would just use that 40 bux and find another 40 or so to motor vac my car. that way u can clean all that crap up, get better mileage and hope that everything is back to factory like new. to me aint it worth it. but everyone has their theories and i respect that.

Comment

Originally posted by SenseiAccord
                i would just use that 40 bux and find another 40 or so to motor vac my car. that way u can clean all that crap up, get better mileage and hope that everything is back to factory like new. to me aint it worth it. but everyone has their theories and i respect that.
                even though I run an aluminum block off plate now, when I first tried it, I cut up 2 soda cans (using the EGR valve as a template) and some copper sealant just to see what the effect was.

It's a good, cheap way to try it out to see if it works for you.
                SM4 CB3 ACCORD 2.0Si______________________________________________

Comment

just so you know..... the f22 egr is generic for a bunch of cars..... like.... when i went to advanced to get an egr gasket..... it fits almost any car between 90-96.....

SOLD!

Comment

So how many actually have done this and what are your personal results and opinions. I get a lil hesitation when accelerating and have heard its prolly from my EGR.
                    Eric
                    www.myspace.com/cb7tuner06

Painted but still "Under Construction"

Comment

good job well, to your dad anyways. but good idea, looks alot cleaner.

i wouldnt mind doing a mod like that, but im too worried about cops and getting smogged. mine has been chipped out, so its for visual purposes. last time i had to get smogged i got turned away cause i was missing a hose that goes to the egr... not tht it made a difference putting one on, it made the station guy happy.

Comment

nice looking block off plates.

the only time the egr causes a problem is when it is clogged, and the valve is not working right. the egr system is ONLY engaged when cruising at part throttle, at that point it allows exhaust gas back into the combustion chambers to cool the burn, allow the computer to run very advanced timing, and reduce emissions and increase fuel economy.
                        when the egr system is cloggedit will cause issues at cruising speeds and very light acceleration.

anyway my experience shows that the gains from a block off plate are best seen on a high milage car (150k or higher) where the driver does not want to clean the egr ports. the gain is the hassle/price difference between fixing the problems or putting the plate in. i would argue that there is absolutely no power gain to be made comapred to a working egr system. and you typically do lose some fuel economy.

Comment

Working...
                        X