Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

VTEC vs. NON-VTEC: Pros and Cons For Both.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VTEC vs. NON-VTEC: Pros and Cons For Both.

Enlighten me please, and possibly sticky.
    My CB7

not to be vague, but i dont see a con to vtec... other than lower gas mileage from smashing on it too much.

i see a vtec engine as the best of both worlds. when youre just cruising around town, shifting like an old lady... you can get great mileage. but when you need the power, its there. just rip on it till 8k.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang
      not to be vague, but i dont see a con to vtec... other than lower gas mileage from smashing on it too much.

i see a vtec engine as the best of both worlds. when youre just cruising around town, shifting like an old lady... you can get great mileage. but when you need the power, its there. just rip on it till 8k.
      ^^Im gonna have to agree with that!!^^, but hey im still gonna rock the JDM F22a!!! GO SOHC non-VTEC engine GO!!! hahaha! its ok at the end of next week ill be able to keep up with some of those VTEC engines! muahahaha.... it just sucks that i had to pay $$$$ to get there, when i coulda bought a H! but hey, i got love for the F seriesd!

-Sean
      F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
      Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

w3rd. i really cant bash on vtack. its mad jdm. the heads flow better. im sticking to non vtack though cuzz im from compton and ill steal your shit.

Comment

i think vtec burns more oil than non-vtec motors. dont ask me how cuz i dont know. possibly oil capacity is more? not really a con but maybe on money when u gotta buy more oil LOL. also ur car gets louder when vtec kicks in... con to ppl who dont like loud cars. also one more thing to fix if it breaks. rumor has it vtec doesnt engage when the check engine light is on... which could mean less power in upper range but still maintain the good gas mileage on daily... but depending on what code is being thrown out.

Comment

Originally posted by SenseiAccord
            i think vtec burns more oil than non-vtec motors. dont ask me how cuz i dont know. possibly oil capacity is more? not really a con but maybe on money when u gotta buy more oil LOL. also ur car gets louder when vtec kicks in... con to ppl who dont like loud cars. also one more thing to fix if it breaks. rumor has it vtec doesnt engage when the check engine light is on... which could mean less power in upper range but still maintain the good gas mileage on daily... but depending on what code is being thrown out.
            Weeell....i dont think ur engine should be burning soo much oil that you need to top-it-off all the time inbetween oil changes....so unless the engine has serious problems u shouldnt have to add any oil inbetween changes, therefore ur not spending any more money then u need to....i never have to add oil inbetween changes! VTEC isnt all that much louder....ubless ur turbod cuz that ish gets hella loud! but other then that id just say the sound is more distinct than loud. Usually when ur check engine light comes on...it isnt a good think so i dont think they should be mashin on their motors with a CEL on anyways....

Sean
            F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
            Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

my friends k20 ek throws a c.e.l.... and we strait dog on that shit...... but yea.... vtec>non vtec.... even tho i'm a little biased to non....

SOLD!

Comment

vtec does burn more oil IMO because it runs off of oil pressure. i dont think this is a coincidence and yes the h22 does take more oil i changed mine today it took 5.5 quarts cost me 35$ just to change the oil
                92 Accord LX coupe

JDM H22A w/lsd
                I.H.E <nuthin to pricey
                stage3 dual friction CF clutch
                fuel pressure regulator
                tokico blues all around
                eibach SL's in front/PK in back
                16'' Konig Holes wrapped in Kuhmo 712's
                Powerslot rotors in front w/ebc pads

Comment

WTF!!! 5.5 quartz!!! ummm due big block V8s take that much oil! ur only 2.2 liter......hmmm are u sure about that! too much oil isnt good for ur engine!
                  -Sean

Comment

well i think the real question is DOHC vtec DOHC non-vtec. Its to hard to compare SOHC and DOHC. But two DOHC one vtec the other not. that is a better question.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNKiNUTS
                      well i think the real question is DOHC vtec DOHC non-vtec. Its to hard to compare SOHC and DOHC. But two DOHC one vtec the other not. that is a better question.

yea....i rode in a sohc vtec civic today... it was pretty strait..... umm.... now.... if your dohc.... h23>h22

not really..... but i <3 my h23 head

SOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
                        VTEC = All of the lag, none of the turbo

Comment

Originally posted by SMseagren83
                          WTF!!! 5.5 quartz!!! ummm due big block V8s take that much oil! ur only 2.2 liter......hmmm are u sure about that! too much oil isnt good for ur engine!
                          -Sean

Yes, that is absolutely correct. I used to work at a local honda dealership and that is what we were required to put in. 5.5qts (h22's only) does sound a bit crazy but it is in fact true.
                          Honda-Tech Username: Lostcb7
                          The cb7tuner.com OG.

Comment

does that actually make your engine perform better, or why does it need so much? I use only 4 - 4.5

Comment

i have a 3.0L V6 and i only put in 5 but it says 4.5. So i run my oil a bit longer to maybe 4-5K rather then 3K

Comment

Working...
                              X