Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

black smoke on WOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black smoke on WOT

hey guys, im curious on why i have black smoke on WOT? some insight on my engine and mods that may deal with this. (167k f22a6, AEM FPR, i/h/e, slightly advanced timing)

my thoughts on the problem is my fpr may be turned up to high. but can this cause the problem? im hoping to fix this soon, cuz well. its embarrasing...lol. prolly will save me some cash if i stop running so rich. any suggestions will help! thanks

Michalob's CB7

sounds like the fpr is up to high, just like you said.
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Sounds like its running way to rich...

No projects at the moment... danm

2k20:
      For sale Demon+ tunerview RD2 Make offer brand new in box

Comment

welp adjusted it today, and it was wayyy up there. not sure if its still smoking or not (gotta find someone i know to follow behind me) but my only thought about it is some punk kids that were working on my car thought it would be funny to do that. (i sometimes take my car to my school for some annoying suspension work)

also did a good look around of all suspension bolts and such. found quite a bit loose. our future mechanics at hand! just goes to show you that ya cant trust anyone. im sadly gong to be forced to do everything myself.

Michalob's CB7

Comment

hopefully you figured out the problem. now why would you bring your car to school to some "punk kids" who are not trained to work on your car?! unless they are being trained. in this case you should really stress how important it is to have all the bolts and nuts tight .
          1cor10:31
          - 92 LX coupe
          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

you're running rich
            I hate thieves!

Comment

Originally posted by iamanonymous
              you're running rich
              lol.... i know this man. thats something quite obvious. just was wondering "why" as in what can cuase this.

still not sure if its the FPR.... but i know its a bit quicker. wish i had a air/fuel ratio gauge so i could know what i was running at.

Michalob's CB7

Comment

don't let anyone else work on your car unless you trust them with your life. otherwise, that's what happens, bolts aren't tightened, things aren't properly tuned, etc. I had my mechanic do my engine swap, the thing was running full rich((:1 a/f maybe? maybe worse...) and said it was just the tps being broken. he actually left the vacuum box off. Lesson- don't let others work on your car.
                Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Michalob
                  lol.... i know this man. thats something quite obvious. just was wondering "why" as in what can cuase this.

still not sure if its the FPR.... but i know its a bit quicker. wish i had a air/fuel ratio gauge so i could know what i was running at.
                  excessive fuel pressure causes alot more fuel to come out of the injector. The injector pulse widths and duration are the same but the pressure coming out of the injector is alot higher thus theres alot more fuel being injected. Its actually lowering your duty cycle but then again ur not even close to maxing them out anyways. Your probably in the 70-80 psi range. Theres no point in a fpr if u don't have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up. Its like driving with no speedo and no tach in a 60
                  And an a/f gauge wouldn't do jack shit. Please find a thread called "Fuel 101" and read up
                  Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                    excessive fuel pressure causes alot more fuel to come out of the injector. The injector pulse widths and duration are the same but the pressure coming out of the injector is alot higher thus theres alot more fuel being injected. Its actually lowering your duty cycle but then again ur not even close to maxing them out anyways. Your probably in the 70-80 psi range. Theres no point in a fpr if u don't have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up. Its like driving with no speedo and no tach in a 60
                    And an a/f gauge wouldn't do jack shit. Please find a thread called "Fuel 101" and read up
                    umm just to let you know. i do have b&m fuel pressure guage. i have the fpr set to roughly 48psi (stock... and unplugged vacuum hose) and yes a air/fuel ratio would help me out a tad just so i know if i should turn the psi down, or up some. and i have read up on that thread before on several occasions...

Michalob's CB7

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                      simple as this, swap the OEM fpr back on.......hondas run rich anyway, so mods that add air to the equation usually help lean it out to ideal levels instead of going lean on you.....VTEC hondas are REALLY rich.....you can basically tune the AF ratio on any honda and make a bigger jump in power than most cars......and pick up a couple of MPG......that's why they respond so well to mods.....rich is safer, and since cheap gas often goes into most cars, it's how they safeguard against that since most don't use knock sensors

but put your honda FPR back on, and then update us......if you don't have one, gimme your address and i'll send you one tomorrow that i know is good and you can have it.......
                      thanks fizzbob, very true too about how honda's are richer than most cars. i think im just gonan try turning the fpr down for now (well i had to cut up the stock fpr for the B&M one). no need for a stock one at the moment. tweaking of pressure is needed. appreciate it much though. thanks

Michalob's CB7

Comment

umm just to let you know. i do have b&m fuel pressure guage. i have the fpr set to roughly 48psi (stock... and unplugged vacuum hose) and yes a air/fuel ratio would help me out a tad just so i know if i should turn the psi down, or up some. and i have read up on that thread before on several occasions...
                        48psi no vac is not stock... That's high for even an H22...

42-45 psi WOT is a little on the high side even... but I'd try starting there...
                        RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Originally posted by ZigenBallZ
                          48psi no vac is not stock... That's high for even an H22...

42-45 psi WOT is a little on the high side even... but I'd try starting there...
                          really?... the hanes manual i got says 40-48 without vacuum connected. hanes were never really that good of a manual anyways. The only reason why i set it at 48psi is because i have all the other bolt-ons that help air flow. yeah im gonna lower it down tonight and see what the story is. cuz it still isnt burning the fuel like it should. thanks for the info Zigen!

Michalob's CB7

Comment

hope i didn't come off wrong on my previous post. If i did i didn't mean to. Zigen beat me to saying that 48psi is even too high. If stock is 38-39 at WOT then u really only want 1-3more psi for ur application. And i stand by saying the a/f gauge will do nothing except tell you your rich...which u already know. It won't tell you or even give u a general range of how much to adjust.
                            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Working...
                            X