Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

H23 IM upgrade....still get good mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23 IM upgrade....still get good mileage?

I have a spare H23 intake manifold that's not being used. But I'm wondering if adding that to my F22A1 would hurt the great mileage its getting right now. I'm averaging 29mpg every tank including rush hour traffic. So I really don't want to drop below that....too much.

I know it'll bump up the power which is what I'm going after somewhat. I just don't want it to hurt my gas mileage. Think I should add it to my otherwise stock DD, just has a AEM Cold Air intake on it since it helped my mileage by 3mpg.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

MPG is also dependent on driving habits. If you're stuck in rush hour, do alot of city driving
    as opposed to all freeway, cruise control, conservative driving .. your mpg may vary ..

But seeing as how one of your cb7's gets 37mpg, I'm assuming you're not sitting in rush hour,
    and gunning it all over the place in the city.
    I've been dealing with strong head winds lately, and I've noticed that even though I'm on the high-way,
    my mpg has suffered .. and I haven't thrown the H plenium in .. yet.

Many varibles contribute to good mileage. I doubt that most folks who have done the swap,
    will come in stating that they've seen a considerable decrease in mpg, unless of course
    they're simply jack-rabbiting off of every green light or doing alot of performance driving.
    I'd be willing to bet that a cb7 with the H mani swap, along with a properly tuned motor,
    a conscience and responsible driving habit, could get considerbly better mpg
    than a cb7 without the swap, and a poorly tuned motor.

I don't believe you'll notice much at all, if anything .. I know when I put mine in,
    I'll be using the same driving habits to see what, if any differences actually show them selves.
    Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 06-13-2012, 04:29 PM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
      MPG is also dependent on driving habits. If you're stuck in rush hour, do alot of city driving
      as opposed to all freeway, cruise control, conservative driving .. your mpg may vary ..

But seeing as how one of your cb7's gets 37mpg, I'm assuming you're not sitting in rush hour,
      and gunning it all over the place in the city.
      I've been dealing with strong head winds lately, and I've noticed that even though I'm on the high-way,
      my mpg has suffered .. and I haven't thrown the H plenium in .. yet.

Many varibles contribute to good mileage. I doubt that most folks who have done the swap,
      will come in stating that they've seen a considerable decrease in mpg, unless of course
      they're simply jack-rabbiting off of every green light or doing alot of performance driving.
      I'd be willing to bet that a cb7 with the H mani swap, along with a properly tuned motor,
      a conscience and responsible driving habit, could get considerbly better mpg
      than a cb7 without the swap, and a poorly tuned motor.

I don't believe you'll notice much at all, if anything .. I know when I put mine in,
      I'll be using the same driving habits to see what, if any differences actually show them selves.
      yeah i figure if anything the 2-3x plenum volume should help boost mileage since there'll be more air capacity for the engine at any time. Oh and the 37mpg car is the one I'm talking about. Thats what I ususally get all highway, but when driving to work and back in downtown phoenix and hitting rush hour there and back it drops it considerably to that 29mpg figure. All city I usually get about 27mpg

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I'd definitely give it a go if you have it lying around. But something I think would help it even further would be a plenum spacer. The extra long runners will help low end torque. That higher low end torque will cause the engine not to be in as high of a rev range to produce the same speed on the freeway. That's my opinion, anyway.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          I'd definitely give it a go if you have it lying around. But something I think would help it even further would be a plenum spacer. The extra long runners will help low end torque. That higher low end torque will cause the engine not to be in as high of a rev range to produce the same speed on the freeway. That's my opinion, anyway.
          h23 runners are shorter than F22A6 runners, so you're saying to add another spacer below the IABs to furthur increase the plenum volume? I think if I put it above the IAB plate, that it'll cause some turbulence in the intake manifold by forcing the air in that pocket caused by the 4 ports of the spacer.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

If you define the plenum as the space that contains the initial volume of air before it gets divided then no, it won't increase the plenum volume. I simply mean it as a way to effectively increase runner length. It won't matter if it's above or below the IABs. The range that you'll be improving mostly is during a period when the butterflies are closed anyway. It's the primary runners that you're concerned with when considering fuel economy. Adding a spacer will increase the runner length after the plenum and produce more low end torque.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

soo...
              h23 throttle body+plenum+runner
              +extra spacer(gutted iab)=more low end torque?
              RIP 4/23/12...lets not forget, the 88" Z31 turbo, are my dailys

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                That's wrong. Engine speed vs. vehicle speed is directly dependent on the gear ratios of the transmission
                Gary A.K.A. Carter
                [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

The h23 runners are longer then the a6, so using the h23 runners will provide more low end torque then their a6 equivalent. Adding the spacer to an a6 runner setup effectively lengthens the runners to be equivalent (or damn near close to) to having an h23 runner setup. Personally I didn't notice a different in mileage with my swap, but I noticed the added power and intake noise that can turn heads from 3 blocks away using a stock airbox
                  PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
                    The h23 runners are longer then the a6, so using the h23 runners will provide more low end torque then their a6 equivalent. Adding the spacer to an a6 runner setup effectively lengthens the runners to be equivalent (or damn near close to) to having an h23 runner setup. Personally I didn't notice a different in mileage with my swap, but I noticed the added power and intake noise that can turn heads from 3 blocks away using a stock airbox
                    na I think its the other way around, H23 are shorter and F22A6 are longer.

member's ride thread
                    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

f22a6 short runner small plenum.

h23a long runner big plenum.

i think thats why they hybrid the a6 bottom with a h23 up top/ short runners big plenum= high end power.

Comment

Read both threads. Should answer some questions.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ht=h23+runners

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=H23+F22A6

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                          That's wrong. Engine speed vs. vehicle speed is directly dependent on the gear ratios of the transmission
                          Understood, but the torque produced plays a big role in how much the engine is working achieve a given engine speed. If the two factors you gave were the only considerations then we would have found the magic ratios for X engine and have all of us getting 1000 miles to the gallon now.

Comment

I think that MPG change was what the question was about.

To OP:
                            I have an h23 upper laying around that I have had for sale for a while. I am about to do a tune up on my dd accord which averages about 32mpg. I have wondered if the MPG would change with this. I don't need/want the mod, but I do have the part just laying around.

So my setup for my dd accord woud be f22a6 runners, standard iab butterfly plate (operational), h23 upper plenium, f22a6 throttle body.
                            -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                            -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                            -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                            -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

The F22A throttle body will not bolt up to the H22/H23 upper plenum.

Comment

Working...
                              X