Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

2 step ecu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 step ecu?

Has any one heard of a 2 step ecu?...or know what's the benefit of having one?

Its not a ecu its a feature on the tuning software you have. And you use it say you have a Turbo car you will use it to have your Turbo spooled and ready to go. I would go in depth more but I'm on my phone.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

I have an Jdm h22 with a skunk2 intake manifold with mugen header...will it do ant help for what I got?

Comment

it's called launch control.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          it's called launch control.
          I have it and it does wonders, I just wish it would bounce more....

Mines at 2500~3200 RPM
          The CB7 Collector.
          Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
          92 LX Coupe F22A1
          2013 Toyota Corolla S
          92 EX Sedan F22A1
          Originally posted by deevergote
          Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
            I have it and it does wonders, I just wish it would bounce more....

Mines at 2500~3200 RPM
            Set a harder cut. What launch control do you have? I hope not crome...its not good for the engine if it only cuts fuel.
            There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

OR, for a lot less money, you could do what we did before computers would fit into a car, and LEARN TO DRIVE. It's WAY easier on the engine and gives you an advantage over those people relying on a computer to do everything for them.
              Honestly, if you can't hold your revs at a certain point (besides WOT, which results in tirespin when you launch) with your foot while waiting for the lights to drop, you shouldn't be behind the wheel at all.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                OR, for a lot less money, you could do what we did before computers would fit into a car, and LEARN TO DRIVE. It's WAY easier on the engine and gives you an advantage over those people relying on a computer to do everything for them.
                Honestly, if you can't hold your revs at a certain point (besides WOT, which results in tirespin when you launch) with your foot while waiting for the lights to drop, you shouldn't be behind the wheel at all.
                If launch control is calibrated properly, its actually faster.

Comment

ECU-programmed launch control is a fuel cut. It is VERY bad for a turbo engine, as turbo and extremely lean conditions are a dangerous mix!
                  It is a feature included in most of the common tuning software. I have it on my ECU, which was programmed using Uberdata. As stated above, Crome will do it as well.
                  It keeps your RPMs at a certain level when at a stop, so you can hold the pedal down and launch, without having to worry about how much gas you're giving it.
                  rubennebur, if you don't know what it is, you clearly have no need for it.
                  Honestly, it is very bad for your engine.

2-step is mainly used to refer to an ignition cut... the term comes from MSD's product bearing that name. The spark cut is a bit safer, but still not great. This is not a part of the ECU.

Some expensive standalone fuel management systems may have a combined fuel/spark cut, which would be ideal... but I'm sure you don't feel like spending 4 figures on an engine management system that you don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                    If launch control is calibrated properly, its actually faster.
                    I'm not trying to start an argument, but when the clutch comes up, do your tires spin with a properly calibrated system, or does it control the throttle to avoid that? Every time I see someone running launch control, they roast the tires off the line and if the tires are spinning, power isn't getting to the ground.
                    All the computerized aids for driving are ruining the skills of younger racers and younger drivers in general. Why not just race fully computerized cars with robot drivers?

Comment

I wouldn't use any type of launch control on a vehicle that is making less than 250hp. There in no point to it, Like visualpoet said, learn to drive your car. Generally launch control/2step is used on boosted cars in order to build boost at the line so you can launch better faster stronger. Of course if your on street tires your just going to blow the tires off and it is pointless, you really do need some sort of slicks to be able to put the power down on the track.

Launch control and 2 steps are EXTREMELY hard on your valvetrain and i wouldnt suggest its use for anyone that does not have upgraded valve springs and retainers. I learned the hard way, i had a retainer crack in half dropping a valve on my old setup while on the 2step.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                      member ride thread
                      11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                      People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                      I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                      John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                        I'm not trying to start an argument, but when the clutch comes up, do your tires spin with a properly calibrated system, or does it control the throttle to avoid that? Every time I see someone running launch control, they roast the tires off the line and if the tires are spinning, power isn't getting to the ground.
                        All the computerized aids for driving are ruining the skills of younger racers and younger drivers in general. Why not just race fully computerized cars with robot drivers?
                        The goal is a controlled amount of wheel spin...it actually results in a faster launch. People roasting tires are the ones that probably have the launch control calibrated poorly.

Do you think that gear change ignition cut, and shift without lift are also making cars slower and spoiling drivers? So much more of track time is attributed to the suspension and the line the driver is taking...so if he can focus on that more, he is going faster.

Comment

So The 2 Step Isnt Good For The Set-up I Got Then...it Will Do More Bad Than Good

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                            The goal is a controlled amount of wheel spin...it actually results in a faster launch. People roasting tires are the ones that probably have the launch control calibrated poorly.

Do you think that gear change ignition cut, and shift without lift are also making cars slower and spoiling drivers? So much more of track time is attributed to the suspension and the line the driver is taking...so if he can focus on that more, he is going faster.
                            I understand the goal, your tires should be just barely slipping, resulting in a series of chirps. I just haven't seen anyone at the track achieve it yet.

I do think that think there is a place for assists in racing, but I also believe that entry level drivers that learn to drive or race with those devices don't acquire the skills that define the pure experience of driving. In a situation without those aids, they're unused to what needs to happen and when.

A driver who learns to drive and control his vehicle without all the computer assistance is going to be a better driver. Once those skills are learned, those assists are fine where they improve upon skills instead of replacing them in the first place.

My apologies for typos or incorrect words. I typed this on my savantphone.

Comment

People need to learn how to use launch control, just as they would need to learn how to feather their clutch to eliminate wheelspin. You can arbitrarily set your launch control to any RPM you want, but it doesn't mean that it's the ideal launch RPM for your tires and suspension.

It's a useful system, especially in higher-powered cars, where 200rpm could be the difference between a perfect launch and an uncontrolled wheelspin. However, the driver/tuner needs to understand the system, as well as their car, to use it properly!
                              It is a tool that is all too often used as a crutch.

Comment

Working...
                              X