Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

SR20 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SR20 swap

I've always been a big fan of nissans and I'm just wondering if an SR20 swap has been done/attempted before in our cars? I ran a brief search but I didn't find much.
    Being normal is probably the lamest thing you can try to be

Theres a guy doing a rb so it can be done. Anything is possible.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

Actually it can be done, you can either go hardcore and do a SR20DET swap (RWD) or you can get a SR20DE non turbo and turbo it if you like, that is already FWD. Be aware though it's very different from the DET model.

Good idea yes, unique yes, worth it no.
      But if you got the knowledge and money you can do anything.
      Current:
      2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
      1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
      1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Nub View Post
        Actually it can be done, you can either go hardcore and do a SR20DET swap (RWD) or you can get a SR20DE non turbo and turbo it if you like, that is already FWD. Be aware though it's very different from the DET model.

Good idea yes, unique yes, worth it no.
        But if you got the knowledge and money you can do anything.
        OOORRRR!! He could go SR20VE (nissans high compression engine) neoVVL! when that kicks in, people would still think its vtec.

@ OP: BUT thats treason!...i'm just messin
        '91 Concord Metallic Blue. Status: under construction

Comment

I've seen lot's of people swapping motor for just a try on advance performance, promblem with is....you don't want the cops peeking underneath lol
          VS

Mercyboy: I rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

MERCYBOY THREAD:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158241
          1990 RHD Honda accord si CB3 Canada http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196287
          MY CB7 ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJID_IxwiNY

Comment

Guess it's a good thing I live in Wyoming eh? Lol but when I move to Phoenix that's another story

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
            1992 Accord EX Coupe
            My FS Thread
            Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
            Originally posted by deevergote
            Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

I've never seen a nissan engine in a cb.

Sounds lil weird just sayin it.
              **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
              Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
              Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

I would like to see "it done" to go RWD anything on a CB. I dont doubt that someone thinks their going to do it, or that maybe one engineering genius actually did do it.

I would really love to see anyone document this like its doable though. Its not. Theres alot of issues that you will run into, ALOT. Alot more then just some fabrication issues.

To the OP;

Just about any FWD swap COULD be done. They are all hard and require an equal amount of custom fabbing, some easier then others. I would completely rule out any RWD conversion's, but consider a FWD swap.

I dont really think theres any value in doing so though, unless you just want to be able to say you did it.

The money spent vs cost of a quality/reputable build/swap just isnt worth it(my opinion).
                Originally posted by wed3k
                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

there is a 94 integra up my way that drifts my friend has it ..... crv ftw

Comment

You know, we have a SWAPS section for questions like this.

When you can't find the bathroom, do you piss in the fridge?

There is a turbo FWD SR20DET in Japan. It came in a number of cars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sr20det. Some of those there are AWD, but they're FWD based transverse engine layouts.
                    It can be done easily enough. It would most certainly fit. It would just take lots of creative wiring, custom parts, and a LOT of patience.

Honestly, if you want a turbo SR20DET in a FWD vehicle, get a 1st gen Infiniti G20. It'd be a much easier swap.

Comment

Sorry Deeve, the thought didn't even occur to put this in swap section
                      Being normal is probably the lamest thing you can try to be

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                        I would like to see "it done" to go RWD anything on a CB. I dont doubt that someone thinks their going to do it, or that maybe one engineering genius actually did do it.

I would really love to see anyone document this like its doable though. Its not. Theres alot of issues that you will run into, ALOT. Alot more then just some fabrication issues.

To the OP;

Just about any FWD swap COULD be done. They are all hard and require an equal amount of custom fabbing, some easier then others. I would completely rule out any RWD conversion's, but consider a FWD swap.

I dont really think theres any value in doing so though, unless you just want to be able to say you did it.

The money spent vs cost of a quality/reputable build/swap just isnt worth it(my opinion).

doing anything as significant as a RWD conversion is only for personal reasons like bragging rights. Or to be able to make what you like a lot into the only thing that could make it better....

i have a thread about an F20c swap/RWD conversion im researching. Its not going anywhere fast yet because im kinda studying up right now. thats what half of my work on my 240sx is for. in the past year i've spent around the 240 scene has gotten me thinking a lot about it and i've learned tons about what im gonna have to do.

but ANYTHING is doable with enough drive to get it done. honestly, in what i've seen. the hardest part is going to be mounting the rear sub-frame/differential in a sturdy enough position to handle any power delivery. getting it in straight and even is just a matter of measurements, adjustments and a basic trial and error ideal. figuring out the weak spots and reinforcing them well is the trick.

all that and keeping weight somewhat reasonable. im mean, if the bitch holds together then cool, but if she cant gtfo out her own way then what really was the point right?

but in all honesty, if someone can take the FRONT of a car and get that shit in the back of a 3g accord, to make it RWD then why cant someone put the rear of something where it belongs? Just need a plasma cutter, good MIG welder and have at it.

ill be buying another accord after i sell my truck

Comment

I wouldn't MIG a rear subframe... I'd only trust something that important to TIG. MIG for quick tack welds, maybe...

Comment

That's exactly what I'm going to do I'll tack it all together with the mig then tig it all together

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
                            1992 Accord EX Coupe
                            My FS Thread
                            Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

here in JA...the AMOUNT! and i mean A-M-O-U-N-T of nissans running SR20s out here with FWD layout (DE, DET & VE), not longitudinally though. B12, B13 and B14 nissan sunnys (y'all might call them sentras, there's a vid on youtube VVL vs VTEC pretty insane, vvl putting vtec to shame). sedan nissan pulsars, nissan lucinos. From what i've heard their pretty heavy engines though, i don't know how truthful is this.

@F20A_CB7: ITS TREASON I TELL YA! Here in ja, transplanting CERTAIN manufactory engines in a total different car is frowned upon by enthusiasts. Like a friend of mine would say "us honda folk don't mix with any nissan *cough-ehem* i mean pisspan...and toyotas *cough, i'm sorry* i mean tomatoes. Old germs, the whole lot of you, yuck"

@Deevergote: as i read your comment about pissing in the fridge, i couldn't help but say this. There's a episode of the simpsons (i don't know if you would have seen it). Where homer comes home drunk with two beer bottles, one in each hand. Stands over the kitchen sink and sings/remixes the song by Chumbawamba "Tubthumping"...the one that goes--->"i get knocked down, but i get up again". Well homer goes. "i drink some liqour, and i drink some more liqour, and when i wanna pee, I USED THE KITCHEN SINK!". i swear Deeve you have the best analogies LOL
                              '91 Concord Metallic Blue. Status: under construction

Comment

Working...
                              X