Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Steering Wheel Shaky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Wheel Shaky

today while going to an interview i get there fine but i smell this burning smell don't know what it, is seems like a electrical burn smell, after that i got there i could see smoke from under my car in the front fender wells
    and after letting my car set for about 1/2 an hour i get in it and drive home and about 10 mi from the place my car starts shaking real bad like a alignment problem or something, but i'm sure it wasn't alignment because i have brand new front tires.
    i pull over to a gas station and look under my car i am confused of what was going on and couldn't find anything wrong so i take the car home about 5mi away from my house i could feel the steering wheel shaking again
    and as i slow down as well wtf is goin' on here?
    can anyone help me??
    <

(129)Transactions and counting

it might be that they didnt balance your tires correctly so go back to the tire shop and mke them do it again
    92 accord dx....traded
    97 accord ex....traded
    93 civic si ....stolen
    96 tercel ....sold
    97 ek hatch b17 ..traded
    97 civic 4door b16 sold
    04 tsx traded ...for a honda coupe (top secret)

Comment

Originally posted by zoomspeed05
      it might be that they didnt balance your tires correctly so go back to the tire shop and mke them do it again
      could that lead to smoke coming out of the wheel wells? or a smell that is kinda like something burning? i could smell it in the cabin of the car
      correct me if i'm wrong but i thought it was something like an electrical thing but that wouldn't normally be related to balancing would it?
      i'm soo stumped on this
      <

Comment

Wheel balancing would not cause smoke to come out of your wheel wells. I know a bad axle would cause shaking because i had it bad once when i messed my axle up. It shook the steering wheel really bad. Dunno what else it could be but i dunno what would cause the smoke from the wheel well unless something is rubbing on somethin and it is melting it such as maybe a fender liner rubbing on the tire. I would like to know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by vtec93accord
          Wheel balancing would not cause smoke to come out of your wheel wells. I know a bad axle would cause shaking because i had it bad once when i messed my axle up. It shook the steering wheel really bad. Dunno what else it could be but i dunno what would cause the smoke from the wheel well unless something is rubbing on somethin and it is melting it such as maybe a fender liner rubbing on the tire. I would like to know what it is.
          idk because my car was fine b4 this evening when i left and just as soon as i got about 10 mi from my destination i started to smell something burning, i know my wheels are aligned properly, but i dunno if they were balanced cuz i just got new front tires i will bring it to sears where i got them from and have them do it anyways, i'm pretty sure the're supposed to after installation but i'm running out of ideas, so i will do that tomo to see if it fixes anything ,but right now i'm kinda pissed cuz idk wtf or where it is comin' from.
          mayb while it's under the lift he/ or i can see what's goin' on i hope i find out soon cuz this is scarin' me.
          <

Comment

i found out what was goin' on with my car it turns out that the rotors are badly in need of replacement, hoses calipers replaced, also the caliper was stuck so it jus' clamped onto the rotor making it super hot and the ball joints are completly shot so mo' money needed to spend that i don't really have.

i had it checked out by Sears and they came up with a estimate of $360 on labor and $450 on parts so
            <

Comment

Why not fix it yourself?

Comment

shit dude that same thing happened to me. it fuccked up my whole rotor and the brake lines too. it cost me 500 because i was lazy and didnt have time to work on it. i will never let a shop fix my car again fix it yourself man
                ]

Comment

Originally posted by RoCknRicEr037
                  shit dude that same thing happened to me. it fuccked up my whole rotor and the brake lines too. it cost me 500 because i was lazy and didnt have time to work on it. i will never let a shop fix my car again fix it yourself man

i would but i don't know what the fuck i'm doin' even if i had the time and the manual i would not have the right tools to tackle this job nor do i have any experience to even tear anything apart and put it back together that way.
                  <

Comment

Originally posted by tommi
                    i would but i don't know what the fuck i'm doin' even if i had the time and the manual i would not have the right tools to tackle this job nor do i have any experience to even tear anything apart and put it back together that way.
                    yay! i got my ball joints replaced today and boy am i pleased
                    the ride quality has greatly increased and i spent under 100 bones to do it next is my brakes but they are actin' fine right now so... i need to get some chedda b 4 i do my brakes and in the future do the rear 5 lug/disk swap
                    but that is where i'm at currently guys jus to let y'all know.
                    <

Comment

wait it only costed you 100 bucks for both ball joints, that seems a bit iffy man, together my two ball joints costed me over 100 bucks not including labor
                      Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by williamsvt
                        wait it only costed you 100 bucks for both ball joints, that seems a bit iffy man, together my two ball joints costed me over 100 bucks not including labor
                        yeah it was a friend that installed it for me plus i got used balljoints installed that are almost new.
                        <

Comment

Working...
                        X