Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

is v-tec nessesary for street/track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is v-tec nessesary for street/track

Hey so I learned alot about valve timing by retarding and advancing a cam. My question is why would people prefer vtec, over building a head with a more aggressive cam?
    Originally posted by Gummiegorilla
    Damn CBs are like a Rubix Cube sometimes !!!!

VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) basically has 2 cam profiles in one cam giving you the best low end and high end power. If you have a large non-vtec cam it would give you high end power but would lack low end, where you need it for better street-ability.

Comment

v-tec works best on a street to strip car. alot of top race teams remove it all to together cause the car is built for a specific power band.

Comment

Anybody remembers the "Toda vtec killer cams"? I remember watchin a vid on youtube where Keiichi Tsuchiya was testing it. I believe it was that they changed the camlobes to some BIG A$$ ones where it made it seem as if a vtec controller was used to set the vtec at 0 rpm but there's heap of power to be had from low down. I believe they said street-ability was sacrificed as well as some top end. So for an everyday person. it would only be for the guys that like having the aggressive behaviour at the blimp of the throttle.
        '91 Concord Metallic Blue. Status: under construction

Comment

I'm experiencing some of this with auto-x. I have an H22A, but with a stock USDM H22A4 tranny I hardly even hit my vtec x-over point before having to slow down again. I plan on upgrading my tranny to a taller final drive which will get me to that point a lot sooner, and keep me in that powerband longer.

My .02

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

OP, go get a huge nonVTEC cam and put it in your F22. Drive around on it a while in the city and you will learn to appreciate VTEC. If you're not sitting at stoplights and negotiating stop and go traffic then you do not need VTEC.

With a big single cam profile low RPM throttle response suffers dramatically, vacuum assist brakes suffers, fuel economy suffers, emissions suffers. VTEC is a good idea for a reason. I drove a 'hot' nonVTEC for 6 years. I eventually went back to VTEC. 20 more whp, 10 more ft/lbs, stock idle over the old cammed F22 head..

-P
            VTEC G27? = ???whp ???wtq
            VTEC G23 = 220whp 191wtq
            nonVTEC G23 = 200whp 183wtq
            K24 iVTEC hybrid = 260whp 210wtq

Comment

cool cool cool the reason i asked was because i am planning a monster street car build in the future, some thing that is trackable, yet still can drive on the street, by than ill have a seperate daily. If i can remember correctly, can i set the vtec point when i chip and program an ecu? Would an f22b dohc head bolt on to an f22a block, What is the flow difference between the f22b dohc and the h22 heads?
              Originally posted by Gummiegorilla
              Damn CBs are like a Rubix Cube sometimes !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jamaicancb3 View Post
                Anybody remembers the "Toda vtec killer cams"? I remember watchin a vid on youtube where Keiichi Tsuchiya was testing it. I believe it was that they changed the camlobes to some BIG A$$ ones where it made it seem as if a vtec controller was used to set the vtec at 0 rpm but there's heap of power to be had from low down. I believe they said street-ability was sacrificed as well as some top end. So for an everyday person. it would only be for the guys that like having the aggressive behaviour at the blimp of the throttle.
                Not low-down... that cam makes high end power. They get rid of the VTEC stuff to save on valvetrain weight, and keep things simple. Such a cam is really for a drag car only. Once the car is staged, it will get up to the higher RPM range and stay there for the duration of the run.

VTEC is fantastic on a street car, or a road race car. It makes for a very wide powerband. The high-RPM lobes on the cams of Honda's more performance-oriented motors are essentially mild race-spec profiles.

Comment

Working...
                X