Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

how do you get more comp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you get more comp?

im trying to do all the little things to get more compression out of my head? i know you can shave it, headgasket, valves, and i saw something on another thread about welding combustion chamber, what does that mean? im trying to do all the little things to the head without tearing into the block. ps its a h22a4.

Welding the CC means adding filler to the CC which reduces the volume, thus increasing compression.

Honestly the best way to increase compression is to replace the pistons with high comp pistons.
    Adding welds to the head and changing headgaskets isn't really the best way to go about it.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

the best way is to get high comp pistons, everything else will only raise it MAYBE 0.1 points. and cost way more.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

ewe...welding the combustion chamber??? That is...not something I would ever put stock in.
        ____

Comment

I heard of people taking out the middle layer from the head gasket to raise compression. Is that tru?
          Originally posted by steezyteg
          lmfao rota 5 star dude theyre called rota slipstreams

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
            ewe...welding the combustion chamber??? That is...not something I would ever put stock in.
            It's very common in serious builds. It's not a hack tuner method, but a very sophisticated (and expensive) modification.

Originally posted by Onebaddcb7 View Post
            I heard of people taking out the middle layer from the head gasket to raise compression. Is that tru?
            Modifying a head gasket is never a good idea. There are thinner gaskets on the market, but like shaving the head, changing the gasket thickness will do two things. 1) it will bring the valves closer to the pistons, and 2) it will change the cam timing.

The safest and easiest way to do it is to change the pistons. OP, you're avoiding "tearing into the block"... which means you want to build a performance engine using a 15 year old stock block? Not a very smart thing. You're going to put money into your head, and then send a piston crashing up into it.

Get some Mahle Gold Series pistons. They're not overly expensive, and they're made for the H22's FRM sleeves. Get some decent rods, and for added security, upgrade to ARP rod bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              It's very common in serious builds. It's not a hack tuner method, but a very sophisticated (and expensive) modification.

Modifying a head gasket is never a good idea. There are thinner gaskets on the market, but like shaving the head, changing the gasket thickness will do two things. 1) it will bring the valves closer to the pistons, and 2) it will change the cam timing.

The safest and easiest way to do it is to change the pistons. OP, you're avoiding "tearing into the block"... which means you want to build a performance engine using a 15 year old stock block? Not a very smart thing. You're going to put money into your head, and then send a piston crashing up into it.

Get some Mahle Gold Series pistons. They're not overly expensive, and they're made for the H22's FRM sleeves. Get some decent rods, and for added security, upgrade to ARP rod bolts.
              fresh 90 k motor just trying to do a few things for compression and i know with my f22 i did all the little things and got it up to 220 psi so i know it helped quite a bit. so about it only MAYBE only .02 is not correct. it helped alot and i only shaved the head .009 in and a ebay headgasket. so im trying to do all that with a h22 and spray it, not trying to have the same motor till im 60.

Comment

Ok, then do what you want. You're the expert, pal! Good luck.

Comment

fresh 90k motor

fresh

my 210k f22a6 in my coupe had 210 on all four cylinders and that was with nothing done(and when it got tore down there was no build up at the top of the cylinder walls before the deck)

you could have a good sealing motor or some carbon build up to create a whopping 220psi
                  ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Originally posted by crashandburn930 View Post
                    fresh 90 k motor just trying to do a few things for compression and i know with my f22 i did all the little things and got it up to 220 psi so i know it helped quite a bit. so about it only MAYBE only .02 is not correct. it helped alot and i only shaved the head .009 in and a ebay headgasket. so im trying to do all that with a h22 and spray it, not trying to have the same motor till im 60.
                    I highly suggest what the others are telling is 99 percent right. I just now understanding how an eninge works and yes they are right. And the most inexpensive way is pistons, (correct me if i am wrong) cams, better valves. Just my soapbox
                    The CB7 Collector.
                    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                    92 LX Coupe F22A1
                    2013 Toyota Corolla S
                    92 EX Sedan F22A1
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
                      I highly suggest what the others are telling is 99 percent right. I just now understanding how an eninge works and yes they are right. And the most inexpensive way is pistons, (correct me if i am wrong) cams, better valves. Just my soapbox
                      rob, cams and valves will not increase compression ratio, but yes they will help power. the only way to change compression ratio is to either change the stroke of the crank, or change the volume of the combustion chamber.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Flat faced valves would have a small effect... but nothing significant.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Ok, then do what you want. You're the expert, pal! Good luck.
                          if i claimed to be a expert i wouldn't be on here. just trying to get some compression without building my block. PAL!

Comment

Whatever. I told you what you need to know, as did everyone else... you want to take the "easy" way, and you're going to fry your motor. So I wish you luck... I'm looking forward to saying "I told you so". That is, if you don't get yourself banned befoe it happens. It's a race!

Comment

Originally posted by crashandburn930 View Post
                              if i claimed to be a expert i wouldn't be on here. just trying to get some compression without building my block. PAL!
                              ur playing with fire. clearly youre a noob and youre messing with deev. rule 1 on cb7tuner is Deev is god. If you plan on keeping your login to this site id stop where u are be for deev gives you the . just say thanks for the advice, and if you choose not to follow it and blow your engine dont come crying to us and leave it at that.

everyone else was right. the cheapest and safest way is to go with pistons or else youre going to kiss your piston and valves.

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
                              And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
                              Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

Working...
                              X