Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

C20AT Turbo on C27A???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C20AT Turbo on C27A???

This is an amazingly rare part!
    OEM Turbocharger for the C series
    And aparently it had some sort of Variable Turbine Geometry that was like an i-VTEC for the turbine...constantly variable.

This turbo made a little ass 2.0 V6 make 190hp!!!!!
    The USDM 2.7 makes...what? 170!?

It one of 3 engines honda has ever offered turbo in a production car.
    Its beautiful. Its on EBAY right now, the engine doesnt come with an ECU....that was the critical part! The ECU controlled the turbo and everything....

The engine seems to have similar dimensions of the USDM C27

Cool?

Your man for wiring solutions!
    CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
    CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

VERY COOL

i was researching these things lately ha.

BUT i highly doubt a turbo meant for a 2.0 L isnt going to work well with a 2.7 if thats what your asking

But none the less great find!
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Installing a turbo and planning to tune later is kinda like having sex and planning to put the condom on afterward.

Comment

You get all the weight plus some of the 2.7L, w/worse throttle response and 20 more HP. Plus u might have to get the ECU + harness, and of course the harness is made for RHD cars....

I like the idea of the motor and wish Honda had gone more into turbocharging.... but between the complexity of actually swapping and the mediocre chassis available that this would mate to, I would have to pass...

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

If the ECU controls the turbo then how would you swap the turbo? You either A wouldnt have the turbo working right or B wouldnt have the engine working right. Other then the cool factor of having a OEM honda turbo the engine is kind of weak if you ask me. Its turbo'd but only makes 190hp when an h22 makes 200 n/a

Comment

Well if somehow this turbo went on the C27, you would have quite a bit more power than an H22, as well as more torque
          Im sure some sort of programming could be done to the ECU, or perhaps a piggyback.
          You could disable the variable function of the turbo, make it open all the time just like a regular.

But to me a 2.0 V6 is cool as hell, most 4 bangers are 2.0 lol
          What would win a N/A 2.0 v6 or N/A 2.0 4-cyl? In the same car ofcourse.

But $1400 for an engine isnt something I would do lol
          Last edited by CB7Man; 04-01-2010, 01:36 AM.
          Your man for wiring solutions!
          CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
          CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

C20 - Turbo

The C20 was a destroked C25 used to fit in Japan's 2 liter tax bracket. The 190hp was not so much for sport as it was to haul the heavy Legend chassis. I am not going to digress into a lengthy explaination as to what level of technological innovation Honda had achieved by the time this motor went to production, but suffice it to say, the turbo was NOT controlled by the ECU. Yes, you can swap the turbo, the only down side is there is not much you can use off the C20. You would do better to use the C20's design, and not its parts.

First, perform a manual swap from a 5-spd Legend. Then fabricate exhaust manifolds to route exhaust gases to the same spot you see on the C20. Then fabricate an intake manifold to reverse the intake stream (note the C20 intake is facing the opposite direction compared to the C27). Now you can work with something tried and true such as a T3/T4 and even add a top mounted intercooler (such as that found on Subarus). After upgrading the fuel system, and a tune, you should be ready to blow your motor.

Why do I say blow it? 'Cause unless you have money to pay someone to forge and cast custom low-compression pistons and connecting rods, you are going to have to settle for stock internals. You cannot breeze into your online retailer and order low-compression pistons for the C27. Having internals custom fabricated is the least expensive option, others include using modified C32 heads.

If I had the money to fabricate custom internals, I would not limit myself to the C20 design, I would use two T3s and make it twin turbo.
            1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
            C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
            MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
            ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
            You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

Working...
            X