Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Header+Injector Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header+Injector Questions

I was wondering two things, the first is what is the best way to coat a header to keep the temperature cooler under the hood? I've seen a fiberglass wrap, ceramic coatings, and powder coating all used to keep the engine cooler, does anyone know what's best for that? I'd really rather not wrap a header with the fiberglass wrap just because it doesn't look the greatest IMO, but if that's what works best it's what I'd end up doing

My other question is, since I see so many people use DSM injectors, are they a completely direct swap, I just got all new injector seals since I replaced my intake manifold with the h23 manifold, but then I realized that since I paid like 30 bucks for all new seals and I can get 4 450 CC DSM injectors for only like 60 bucks, maybe I should just replace them now and not have to buy another set of seals? Also, how big of injectors are people using for how much horsepower they have? I've read what some people are using but I have no idea what's overkill or when their injectors are too small, etc.
    Last edited by Sarthos; 02-01-2010, 05:25 AM.

Here's what I did to my DC Sports 421 Ceramic header. Brought down the engine bay temps a ton:

^^^thats what it looks like after the engine's been started and it's undergone its first heat cycle....turns a nice copper color

^^^thats what it is, Thermotec heat wrap, about 12 bucks per 15ft roll, I needed 2 rolls, and I recommend getting their snap straps too, even though they're pricy, but they work, they won't ever break on you. So total it cost me about 50 bucks

Be SURE to use gloves when putting it on, that fiberglass in your hands isn't the most fun thing to live w/
    Last edited by Losiracer2; 02-01-2010, 05:31 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

That one actually doesn't look bad, I've previously just seen the fiberglass kinda stuff. How cool does that make it, is it actually cool enough you can touch the wrapping and not get burnt?

I know, I've worked with fiberglass before for speaker boxes, no fun to get on your skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
        That one actually doesn't look bad, I've previously just seen the fiberglass kinda stuff. How cool does that make it, is it actually cool enough you can touch the wrapping and not get burnt?

I know, I've worked with fiberglass before for speaker boxes, no fun to get on your skin.
        yeah, actually the header was cool to the touch after the engine was off. You can't hold onto it forever, but if you accidentally brush your arm or whatever, it won't melt your flesh haha

There's a noticeable reduction in under hood temps though. Even when the engine is running you don't feel heat radiating off the header, it keeps heat in...which is actually better for exhaust flow and does improve power by a little bit since it has a scavenging effect, I think, haha I'll let you know after this semester after I take my Thermofluids class
        Last edited by Losiracer2; 02-01-2010, 06:06 AM.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

as for the injectors, yes they are a direct swap, other than the tight fit in the seals.

BUT, there really is no need for them unless your making like 220+ hp.
          and it would probably require a tune for them to work correctly.

you might as well just replace with stock. or just have yours cleaned.

Comment

Be aware that header wrap will void any warranty on most headers and may cause premature weld failure. Ebay headers are known for poor weld quality and you'll very likely cause it to fail if you wrap it. DC Sports is usually good, but you may find a few that have sub-par welds and will fail when wrapped.

Here's my DC header that failed ~1 year after header wrap.

Also, wrap will slightly reduce under hood temps but don't expect it to perform miracles. As stated, lightly, quickly brushing against the wrap won't burn you but there's no way you can hold on to it, it gets HOT but the fabric doesn't transfer heat as quickly as bare metal does.
            Last edited by 19dabeast85; 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM.
            My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Has anyone tried ceramic coating or powder coating? I'm planning on coating the header if I go turbo, in which case I'll make sure to get a decent header. I also just don't wanna risk overheating my alternator, I like a loud stereo, don't wanna go through alternators just because of header heat.

As for the injectors, I was planning on getting a chipped ECU so I could tune them properly, I just figured having the injectors now while the fuel rail is out and everything would make it easier to install them, and I'd save on the money for new seals if I put those ones in now rather than later, and 450 cc I think would make my car pretty much future proof in case I do eventually turbo or build the head on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                Has anyone tried ceramic coating or powder coating? I'm planning on coating the header if I go turbo, in which case I'll make sure to get a decent header. I also just don't wanna risk overheating my alternator, I like a loud stereo, don't wanna go through alternators just because of header heat.

As for the injectors, I was planning on getting a chipped ECU so I could tune them properly, I just figured having the injectors now while the fuel rail is out and everything would make it easier to install them, and I'd save on the money for new seals if I put those ones in now rather than later, and 450 cc I think would make my car pretty much future proof in case I do eventually turbo or build the head on my car.
                Ceramic coating will not significantly reduce under hood temps, at least not as much as wrap does, it does make a great looking, strong finish for the header though. If you're that worried about the temps, a custom heatshield would do the best job (stainless steel sheet metal, metal cutter, a drill, and rivets will have you in business).

Personally, I would save the hassle and cost of finding an ecu, chipping & tuning it (about $400 easy), and invest that money towards a quality header. If you're planning to go turbo in the somewhat near future then why not leave the stock exhaust setup there and just focus on collecting turbo parts? It'd be much cheaper in the long run instead of buying N/A parts that'll be replaced when you go turbo. If you're doing a mild setup (dsm log manifold or similar) then you CAN header wrap those to increase efficiency.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

I already have the header, I'd only do anything to the header if I go turbo, just planning ahead as far as the header goes.
                  I'd be getting a used chipped ECU for less than that, and I'd work on tuning it myself, besides, I'd end up needing or at least wanting a chipped ECU should I go turbo, the ECU would be good for future-proofing the car.

Comment

Okay, I opened up my injector seals, and there are 5 seals in each box. Does anyone know what to do with all 5, I can only find 4 seals listed. There's the o-ring, cushion ring, seal ring, there's a ring that sits in the intake manifold, what's the 5th one?

Comment

I hate to drag this thread up, but why are there 5 injector seals in each box for the injectors, but only 3 seals I can find listed? Does anyone know where I can find a DIY or something with illustrations to make sure I'm using all the right stuff? I haven't been home hardly at all so I haven't finished this anyway.

Comment

well what ever seals you take out, replace with the new ones.

Comment

Working...
                        X