Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

XTD flywheel after 16k miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XTD flywheel after 16k miles

As I've said in other posts, my XTD stage1 clutch & 12lb flywheel setup has been slipping badly. I replaced it yesterday and wanted to post some pics to keep anyone from buying XTD products:

Can you say hotspots???

You can see where the friction disc wore into the flywheel surface:

The groove cut into the flywheel by the clutch disc was matched on the pressure plate surface, exactly the same depth. The depth ranges from .02"-.03". Surprisingly, the clutch friction disc did not appear overly worn. It was close to but not all the way down to the rivets. So the XTD clutch friction disc is just as tough as whatever metal they use for the friction surface. They all wore down about the same amount!

Also, the groove cut into the flywheel was deeper on the outside than on the inside (~.02" on inside & .03" on outside). Evidently the pressure plate putting pressure on the clutch plate actually pulled the outside of the flywheel slightly out of square. Either this or it was warped from the factory.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

not to be a dick but thats what happens when you get cheap shit. only good thing i see about this is the mileage

Comment

Indeed, stay away from xtd, I support ACT all the way.
      2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
      2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

I personally like Fidanza and Bisimoto flywheels, and I just went to a Fidanza 4.3 clutch in this build because of my XTD clutch. I was very disappointed with them as well.
        Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord View Post
          not to be a dick but thats what happens when you get cheap shit. only good thing i see about this is the mileage
          Oh I know. I found that out soon after installing the flywheel and then realizing it had no timing marks. At the time I swapped to the 5spd this was the one thing I cut cost on that I shouldn't have, I'm not one to cut corners normally and really can't remember why I went this route....oh well. The Exedy setup feels awesome! Extremely smooth.
          My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

learn how to use a clutch.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              learn how to use a clutch.
              The clutch was never burned until it just started slipping from wear. A lightweight flywheel and alot of city driving didn't help matters.
              My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
              X