Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Header installed weird noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header installed weird noise?

I bought a megan ss header and installed it about 700 miles ago and now when im in first gear and i floor it it makes a bad noise from almost right under me. But its only when i floor it and only in first. Could it be a gasket leak?
    My Cb7. Slow work in progresshttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...80#post2247580

It wouldn't hurt to get a new gasket, especially if you used the one that came with the header. Go to an auto parts store and get a better quality gasket.

You'd have an exhaust leak at all RPMs, but it'd be louder the harder you push your car.

But, I'm not sure about the "only in 1st gear" issue. What's the "bad noise" you hear? Does it sound like an exhaust leak? Considering that's it's "right under you", it could be something as simple as an exhaust leak.

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
      It wouldn't hurt to get a new gasket, especially if you used the one that came with the header. Go to an auto parts store and get a better quality gasket.

You'd have an exhaust leak at all RPMs, but it'd be louder the harder you push your car.

But, I'm not sure about the "only in 1st gear" issue. What's the "bad noise" you hear? Does it sound like an exhaust leak? Considering that's it's "right under you", it could be something as simple as an exhaust leak.
      yeah its right under mean and it makes multiple noises very quick as my engine speeds up almost like a grinding noise but not quite.
      My Cb7. Slow work in progresshttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...80#post2247580

Comment

I think I know what your problem is. I kinda had the same thing going on after I replaced my entire exhaust system. If your getting a pop when accelerating, then that's a gasket issue. if your getting a metallic rubbing noise when accelerating then you need to adjust the exhaust hangers.Be sure to sure to check the position of the hanger at the right rear wheel, that's where I had the rubbing issue occuring, It felt as if it was right under me, but after adjusting the hangers the noise was gone.
        Last edited by 4U2H8ME; 12-23-2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4U2H8ME View Post
          I think I know what your problem is. I kinda had the same thing going on after I replaced my entire exhaust system. If your getting a pop when accelerating, then that's a gasket issue. if your getting a metallic rubbing noise when accelerating then you need to adjust the exhaust hangers.Be sure to sure to check the position of the hanger at the right rear wheel, that's where I had the rubbing issue occuring, It felt as if it was right under me, but after adjusting the hangers the noise was gone.
          Should I replace all three gaskets that came with it? and if so with what gaskets?

Comment

it could of fell off the hanger and be touching/rubbing against something

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

I had this happen to me once also .. damn flex pipe (it was even brand new) had a smaallllll lil tear in it ... drove me nutzoid!

Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewNe View Post
                Should I replace all three gaskets that came with it? and if so with what gaskets?
                Well if it's the popping noise that your getting, then yes replace your gaskets. I had bought a replacement set from ebay that worked out good. But I recommend you find out which one is bad and replace that one, It's what I did. Put the car on a lift or on stands, run the engine and check the exhaust at each connecting point for the exhaust leak.
                Last edited by 4U2H8ME; 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I cant find this gasket anywhere. tried autozone and a few other places. Where can i get a quality set of gaskets?

Comment

I cant find this gasket anywhere. tried autozone and a few other places. Where can i get a quality set of gaskets?
                    if its the gasket that goes between the header aand the downpipe go to summitracing.com they have a gasket there you can use. i dont have the exact link to it so youll have to search for it but i know they have one. if its a aftermarket header then you wont find that type of gasket in the normal parts stores as i have been told when i went to try and find one.

Comment

No its the one right after the flex pipe

Comment

No its the one right after the flex pipe
                        those ones you can find all over the internet very easily. you just have figure out the size of your gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordcb7ex View Post
                          those ones you can find all over the internet very easily. you just have figure out the size of your gasket.
                          Do you know what the name for that gasket is and a good place to get it?

Comment

Working...
                          X