Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Pocket Romulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pocket Romulator

http://xtronics.com/memory/pktROM.htm

My goal is to use that to tune my P28... Seems really good. An alternative to an expensive standalone system.

Has anyone worked with this thing before? Is there anything I would need to be aware of? I mean, for $180 plus the cost of a chipped and socketed P28, it seems to offer a VERY cheap method of tuning!

Deever why the FUCK would you want to change the chip image AS you are driving LOL that can be very bad.
    To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Yo, deev its kind of a waste of money if your only planning to use it for urself. It'll make changing the maps easier but it really won't take too long to street tune an h22 at all. Romulators are normally for ppl who use the unit alot and need to save time to cut down costs to the customers. The only things i can think of that would benefit you only using this for urself be not having to turn the car off and u would get to your final tune a bit more quickly.
      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
        Yo, deev its kind of a waste of money if your only planning to use it for urself. It'll make changing the maps easier but it really won't take too long to street tune an h22 at all. Romulators are normally for ppl who use the unit alot and need to save time to cut down costs to the customers. The only things i can think of that would benefit you only using this for urself be not having to turn the car off and u would get to your final tune a bit more quickly.
        Yeah, that's pretty much why I would want it... I mean, I hate the idea of burning chips over and over again to get a good tune. With a setup like this, I can run any program I want, and burn it to a chip if I choose to do so.

Also, I like the idea of being able to change programs easily. I hope to come up with a program for power, and another for fuel economy. When I'm driving to work or school (which will possibly be a 3 hour round trip every day) I don't need power... but saving a few bucks in gas would be great! I don't want to have to yank the ECU every time.

I'm also planning an in-car computer system (just need to find a good, heat-free place for the motherboard to go!) This would go nicely with it!

Also, since I have the hatchie to work on as well, I was thinking that I could use the romulator on both cars.

What makes a romulator/chipped ECU setup different from a real standalone like Hondata? Doesn't Uberdata do pretty much everything Hondata can do? (I'm learning, but still pretty new to this stuff...)

John, what makes you think I'll want to tune while driving?

Comment

Haha...u called hondata a real standalone. Anyways the only things that i've found that hondata can do that uber can't is switch to closed loop at a certain vac or boost setting and comes with customer service. Power and good gas mileage aren't even on the same vac lines so u can tune for both on one map. The only thing i can think of that u'd need a second map for would be for race gas when your at the track and your running like +*2-6 degrees of timing. Download uber and you'll see what i mean. When cruising ur usually at like 20-6 in/hg of vac and wot(power) is 0 vac. Even if u do get the romulator and finish with it quickly you can always sell it back easily.

On my very first real street tuning session at 6psi it took me 2 burns to get the a/f ratio competely flat...all of a 10 minute process.

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Really? Hmmm.... maybe I don't need it afterall. Antoine, I will definitely have to talk to you more about this when I actually get my P28! I've been trying to read pgmfi.org, but it's so much info that seems rather directionless now. Perhaps I'll have a direction when I have the ECU.

Comment

just holla me when ever and i'll give u a tutorial, i won't have u wasting any money. Although it really won't be a waste seeing as u can sell it back not to long after u get it

Comment

The Pocket Rom is what I use for street tuning. An excellent tool but not intended to be left in the vehicle instead of the actual rom. It's for temporary use only.
                My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Cool. Thanks Antoine... I'll definitely hit you up soon! Since I'm done school (kinda) I'll be working harder and hopefully getting something done on my car (and saving for a ring... I can't let the car interfere with that!)

Jose, thanks. I was hoping you'd see this! I know you definitely know your stuff when it comes to tuning. Would you say the Pocket Rom would be overkill for someone like me? I mean, I don't plan on much dyno time any time soon, and I don't NEED every last bit of power. Just a good tune...

Comment

Working...
                  X