Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Oil filter drainback seal...Amsoil vs others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil filter drainback seal...Amsoil vs others

I just changed oil and switched from Amsoil synthetic filter to a Royal Purple synthetic filter and wanted to post up one major observation.

6,000 miles ago when I first switch from Purolator PureOne to the Amsoil I noticed my oil light always blinked at me once right after startup when the engine had been sitting for 1.5hrs or more. (this was something new)

I did a bit of research and found quite a few complaints about the Amsoil anti-drainback seals performing poorly and allowing oil to drain back out of the oil passages after shutoff and hence the second of low oil pressure on startup I was seeing. My oil light was EXTREMELY consistent in that it would ALWAYS blink at me once immediately after startup when the engine had been sitting for 1.5+ hrs.

I just changed the oil last week with a Royal Purple filter and the oil light magically no longer blinks at me, even after sitting overnight. The Purolator PureOne filters also never caused the oil light to blink either which leads me to believe that the Amsoil filters have inferior drain-back protection. If this is important to you, don't waste your money on Amsoil. FYI.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Awww, good to know!
    My light does the same thing when I start it up, but only when its been sitting overnight. Hmm I need a oil change too, looks like I might look into some RP filters!
    Cappuccino Member #9<--- click for thread

^click for MRT^
    CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
    Coupe MRT

Comment

I'd think the anti-drainback valve is probably the most important variable between filters.

To be honest, though, I've never experienced the low pressure oil light blip, even when using Frams and Purolators. Good to hear your experience!

Comment

Just wanted to make sure people understood what I said about Purolator.....the Purolator filters never gave me any issues and are a high quality filter imo.
        My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

i get the same with really cheap filters aka fram and stp. if i use honda oem or better, i dont notice it however my light actually stays on sometimes (after a really cold startup)
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

The Purolator filters are like half the price of the Frams, so I'm not quite sure what to think of them. I guess I should just look up how much OEM filters run for, but 10 bucks for a Purolator filter and four quarts of basic Mobil 1 has been luring me in for the last 5 oil changes.

Comment

oem filter is about $7 at the dealer ship. a lot of guys use s2000 oil filters for some reason.....
              are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                The Purolator filters are like half the price of the Frams, so I'm not quite sure what to think of them. I guess I should just look up how much OEM filters run for, but 10 bucks for a Purolator filter and four quarts of basic Mobil 1 has been luring me in for the last 5 oil changes.
                I always used the Purolator PureOne series....filter housing is yellow with a grippy texture....they're a really good general use filter and not too expensive.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

i ran all kinds of filters in my F22 and never experienced any of that oil light blinking you guys do. I used the crappy orange frams, K&N, Mobil 1, the fram tough guards. Mostly the Fram Tough Guard though since it had a better efficiency rating of I think 99%. My F22 had 179k when I did my swap though so it was pretty "young"

I only use Honda filters on my H22 now. Still no issues w/ the oil light.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

stick with oem filters. i think the s2k one has a bigger capacity?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland View Post
                      stick with oem filters. i think the s2k one has a bigger capacity?
                      With a 1" thick oil filter adapter plate to allow sensor ports, a longer filter isn't really possible.....my oem size one is already rubbing slightly on the PS pressure sensor back there.

For normal use though, a longer filter should work great for extended drain intervals.
                      My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

it isn't that big of a deal honestly but good to know, when I bought mobile 1 filters I wouldn't get the blink, mine just stays on for a fraction of a second but the rpm's also haven't hit over 300 yet either...I'm using wix filter right now.

Honestly the filtering ability and construction is way more important...but...still...good to know.

How much to those babys run you a piece?
                        ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                          How much to those babys run you a piece?
                          Amsoil eao20 was around $20 shipped. I used it once strictly to test its filter quality over the Pureolator PureOne and I'm now doing the same with the Royal Purple filter (cheaper at ~$8). If they aren't a significant improvement over the PureOne's then I'll switch back.
                          My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

***had to edit my filter prices***

$20 for an oil filter? That's a bit much.

mobile one is around $13 and has that valve, great construction, excellent filter media. That's still too exp. imo though. Wix are about $7, it also has the valve in it and it works well...but wix/mobile one is as cheap i'de go personally.

and btw
                            Originally posted by amsoil.com
                            AMSOIL also offers high quality products from other manufacturers such as Twin Air, Donaldson and WIX
                            They also feature a silicone anti-drainback valve that stays flexible in extreme temperatures
                            they are cheaper than mobile one filters (price wise) but offer as good or superior filtering and "valve" action...which is why I use 'em.

of course I don't have to add in shipping as wix, mobile one are offered at oreilly/autozone/other
                            Last edited by bcjammerx; 11-09-2009, 02:52 AM.
                            ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx
                              ***had to edit my filter prices***

$20 for an oil filter? That's a bit much.

mobile one is around $13 and has that valve, great construction, excellent filter media. That's still too exp. imo though. Wix are about $7, it also has the valve in it and it works well...but wix/mobile one is as cheap i'de go personally.

Yup...X2..
                              I used moible one all the time and never paid that much.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X