Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

DC Sports header FAILURE!! WHY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been hearing an exhaust leak under acceleration constantly and started actually smelling the exhaust today so finally decided to take a look, here's what I found:

I can see the welds breaking from a combo of heat and vibration, but it looks like that one part is "peeled" away?? Any experiences with this sorta problem and think it's ok to have an exhaust shop reweld it or should I call this header's time of death?
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

i would try to see if a local welder/ muffler shop can weld it for you, it should NOT be expensive at all.

If not, get another Header. IMO i think "DC header's" are crap anyways.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
    -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Originally posted by ibr_adam09 View Post
      i would try to see if a local welder/ muffler shop can weld it for you, it should NOT be expensive at all.

If not, get another Header. IMO i think "DC header's" are crap anyways.
      x2, they just make the same header with different flanges for different cars. IMO the only thing that separates them from an ebay header is the quality of the work that put them together. neither of them do any actual engineering into the product.

and yes, a welding shop would definately be able to do it. they'll probably bend it back together, weld it shut, then maybe weld a small plate over it. that's what i would do at least.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Wonder how thick the primary walls are, looks thin. Was that primary tube bent in the past at the 2-1 joint end? Seems like a stress fracture to me, as a result of some bending moment.

You have engine mount/movement issues in the past? Do you have a flex-pipe on the header? Is the header downpipe rear engine block bracket utilized?

The front-to-back motion of our motors can stress the area mentioned, assuming your exhaust manifold flange is properly tightened to head and your header intermediate flange fasteners are tight.
        Last edited by HondaFan81; 10-05-2009, 04:13 PM.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
          Wonder how thick the primary walls are, looks thin. Was that primary tube bent in the past at the 2-1 joint end? Seems like a stress fracture to me, as a result of some bending moment.

You have engine mount/movement issues in the past? Do you have a flex-pipe on the header? Is the header downpipe rear engine block bracket utilized?

The front-to-back motion of our motors can stress the area mentioned, assuming your exhaust manifold flange is properly tightened to head and your header intermediate flange fasteners are tight.
          I'm running all 3 ESP black poly mounts with no front torque mount so the engine doesn't move. Flex pipe is in good condition, however, I have broken two rear block-to-collector brackets and am currently not running anything there. This always worried me, but I couldn't keep them from breaking for some reason....guess I could have hit something putting pressure upward on the collector, breaking that weld...I can see the physics working there to cause this break now.
          My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

It could have cracked because the header was wrapped. They recommend not wrapping them, and they don't warranty cracks on headers that are wrapped.

I've had a flex pipe break before on my DC, but I've never seen one crack like that.

-Kyle
            SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
            -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
              It's a sign to get your name on the group buy list for Bisi's F22 header.

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                It's a sign to get your name on the group buy list for Bisi's F22 header.
                I know right, trust me I've thought about it, I'd be on there if my budget could at all afford even the half-priced header, just can't at this time.

I'll be changing the oil soon so I'll check the collector for collision signs and see if it's scraped on something. Really the only thing I can remember running over that could have hit the collector happened just a few days ago....I've been hearing the leak for a month almost.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
                  Which picture are you seeing a bend in? Having trouble finding what you're referencing.

EDIT: Here's a couple pictures I found when I first got it (used from reputable member here):

Last edited by 19dabeast85; 10-05-2009, 09:28 PM.
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

how long have you had those headers for?
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=154842

Comment

Is it me or does it look like the wrap has deformed the header over time

I can see marks where the header wrap was tightened to the metal.

Is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by ebethonda91 View Post
                        how long have you had those headers for?
                        I purchased it used from a member here in 2007. Installed it November, 2007. Header wrapped it September, 2008.
                        My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                          I purchased it used from a member here in 2007. Installed it November, 2007. Header wrapped it September, 2008.
                          oh ok cus i read on one of the comments your not suppose to wrap it and i just bought an new one and it came in today and i was reading this i was all man what should i do return it but i need it for smog cus i dont have my origanal one and the one i have now its not smogable lol if thats a word
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=154842

Comment

DC sports headers................ CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have H22A and, same problem with mine, same spot, and mine was cracked all around.

Drummersteve said the same thing, with his old one too.

I agree on the part that they all look the same. the only difference is the flange thingy.
                            JDM Parts for sale

Comment

I just took a look under the car and nothing on the exhaust is scraped up except the resonator way back mid-car that always scrapes slightly on larger bumps. The flex pipe&flange is fine, catalytic heat shield in perfect condition, collector-to-oilpan clearance appears to be same as it always has, etc. And here's one more picture I just took that shows a definite long and pretty wide crack:

My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X