Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Clutch and Flywheel time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch and Flywheel time....

I'm looking to get a new clutch and flywheel and have it down to the following options:

Clutch:
    Exedy OEM,
    Exedy Stg1,
    eClutchmaster stg1

Flywhl:
    F1 Racing OEM(19lbs),
    F1 Racing light(12lbs)
    Fidanza light(8lbs)

I drive alot in town and could benefit from a heavier flywheel, but I don't want OEM heavy. I have my eye on the F1 Racing OEM because it's still supposedly 4lbs lighter than stock. Two big question I have:

1. Is there any reason why NOT to buy an F1 Racing flywheel? They have good prices but I am willing to pay more if they're not good quality.

2. For an N/A setup like I have, is the Exedy OEM competent? I doubt my car will see over 200 whp in the next 3-4 years. Can the Exedy OEM handle 180+ whp? Granted right now I probably have ~125 whp.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Exedy OEM, IS the OEM Honda clutch. I would shy away from the cheap flywheels, I had a bad experience with them.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

a cheap flywheel may have runout.

think of this: cheap flywheel are all production line. metal is its own property which means it reacts with everything especially temperature.

As these things are being produced throughout the day, the temp changes. this moves the metal and i highly doubt they center and indicate each flywheel before they surface them.

it is definitely no bueno however i have bought a XTD flywheel for a friend and he says that the clutch engagement was tits.

why buy a new oem one when you can get one resurfaced?
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
        why buy a new oem one when you can get one resurfaced?
        I would but I don't want OEM weight (I think 23lbs??). The Exedy OEM with Fidanza 8lb kit can be had pretty inexpensive on ebay. I'm just worried about such a light flywheel with an oem clutch when I'm already pushing more than OEM power and plan on adding in the future.

Ideally, I like the sound of the eclutchmasters stage1 with an F1 Racing flywheel. I think the two would make a good combo. I've seen good reviews on both products on this forum but looking for personal input on them before purchase.
        My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

cheap=nightmare.

fidanza or resurface to oem, pm sunburn if needed...he is running the fidanza 8 with an oem clutch and its perfectly fine.

im still going to say fux no to the eclutchmaster too, im sure they will be junk like xtd was/is.

and the gentleman that said no to the flywheel had an f1 if i remember correctly, and it warped.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

I've got the Exedy stg 1 and Fidanza 8lb w/ my H22 M2A4 trans, just swapped in about 2 weeks ago. You gotta kinda keep the revs at like 1500 from a stop to get in motion but everything else is great. I'm still a beginner at 5spd though, so I have stalled a couple times. The pedal feel is awesome, although I do have a SS braided line from the CMC all the way to the slave so that might affect it. I love shifting 1-2 and chirping second. Sometimes even third. It handles my mods nicely as well. I/H/E and my P13 is chipped so I usually go to like 8k when i shift. If you miss a gear though, the RPMs kinda skyrocket lol, so be careful of that.

The clutch on Ebay was 260 shipped and the flywheel was like 154 shipped both brand new. The clutch comes w/ a Koyo TO bearing and plenty of stickers lol. Whats good about the flywheel is it has replaceable friction pads, so you don't have to resurface it.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
              I've got the Exedy stg 1 and Fidanza 8lb w/ my H22 M2A4 trans, just swapped in about 2 weeks ago. You gotta kinda keep the revs at like 1500 from a stop to get in motion but everything else is great. I'm still a beginner at 5spd though, so I have stalled a couple times. The pedal feel is awesome, although I do have a SS braided line from the CMC all the way to the slave so that might affect it. I love shifting 1-2 and chirping second. Sometimes even third. It handles my mods nicely as well. I/H/E and my P13 is chipped so I usually go to like 8k when i shift. If you miss a gear though, the RPMs kinda skyrocket lol, so be careful of that.

The clutch on Ebay was 260 shipped and the flywheel was like 154 shipped both brand new. The clutch comes w/ a Koyo TO bearing and plenty of stickers lol. Whats good about the flywheel is it has replaceable friction pads, so you don't have to resurface it.
              yeah i dont have to rev quite that high, just a quick blip makes taking off much easier.

youll get better as you go man

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

I'm still thinking 8lbs is too light for a DD that doesn't rev very high (6500 max). Are there any good flywheels out there in the 12lb range other than XTD and F1?
                My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                  I'm still thinking 8lbs is too light for a DD that doesn't rev very high (6500 max). Are there any good flywheels out there in the 12lb range other than XTD and F1?
                  serious?

id say fidanza or nothing still.

it really isnt that difficult to drive, nor will it make it not dd-able...have ya driven one?

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

wear your clutch out faster.
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

wear your clutch out faster.
                      how?

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4thgen View Post
                        how?
                        because you have to rev higher for engagement. a stock flywheel will have more inertia to get the car moving.

like in a truck with torque, you dont even have to rev the engine to engagement. the slower the flywheel turns, the less wear it creates. same concept comes with higher speeds and braking.
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

because you have to rev higher for engagement. a stock flywheel will have more inertia to get the car moving.
                          maybe at first.

as with anything, you get used to it...and the benefits outweigh the 3 days it will take a retard to learn how to drive it(especially with a stock clutch).

only thing ive noticed..(which is obvious) is the lack of torque storage, but if you know how to drive it isnt an issue.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                            ACT Streetlite are 11.9lbs.

http://www.raceinspired.com/pc-2807-...1990-2002.aspx

i had one on an old Civic. I liked it, but awhile after i had it installed I wished i had put my money elsewhere. It's not really worth the gains in a DD IMO.
                            Last edited by RiceKillinSi; 08-25-2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4thgen View Post
                              maybe at first.

as with anything, you get used to it...and the benefits outweigh the 3 days it will take a retard to learn how to drive it(especially with a stock clutch).

only thing ive noticed..(which is obvious) is the lack of torque storage, but if you know how to drive it isnt an issue.
                              I know how to drive a manual....Even my XTD stg1 clutch grabs much quicker than oem and requires higher revs or a VERY slow engagement which burns the clutch. I think my XTD clutch is "OK", it's the XTD flywheel I have that I hate and makes me never want a product by them again. I'm ok with my current setup as far as weight goes for DD, the flywheel is just a piece of crap. (can I say that enough).

I think Fidanza needs to make a mid-weight flywheel, I know they are very high quality but I'm not sure I want to DD an engine around town all the time that has no potential energy stored in the flywheel. Having to rev all the time to start burns more fuel. It would also make it easier for my wife to drive it since her DD is a Ford Taurus and we never know how reliable that thing is.
                              My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X