Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

what stones to use H23 cylinder walls (Fiber Reinforced)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what stones to use H23 cylinder walls (Fiber Reinforced)

I am rebuilding an H23 and am not sure what stones to use to hone the Fiber Reinforced cylinder walls.

thanks

you cant use stones for a finish.

only to get to size but you'll need to polish the walls with a lapping compound in a honing machine.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i rebuild engines for a living you use stones on a honing machine....you dont want a polish or the rings will not seat properly...if you dont really know the answer then please dont just guess..thanks for the input though

Comment

so if you do this for a living, why are you asking us?

this is how we do FRM's in the machine shop that I work at. good luck trying to get an answer out of anyone else.
        I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by Accordtyper91 View Post
          i rebuild engines for a living you use stones on a honing machine....you dont want a polish or the rings will not seat properly...if you dont really know the answer then please dont just guess..thanks for the input though

Shots Fired!

My Cb bad, Cb bright and the cops can kiss my Cb lights - I’m gone!
          Frost White Member 13
          My Ride
          "Girls are like a new car... lease w/ option to buy"

Comment

To hone FRM liners, perform the following:
            · Use a rigid hone (not a ball hone) with GC-600-J or finer stones for nonferrous
            metals. The honing pressure should be 200-300 kPa (2-3 kg-cm2, 29-43 psi).
            · Use an oil type honing oil.
            · Hone at 45-50 rpm to a 60 degree-crosshatch pattern.
            · Do not stroke the hone more than 20 cycles.
            · After honing, thoroughly clean the engine block of all metal particles by
            washing with hot soapy water, then dry and oil them immediately. Never use
            solvent; it will only redistribute the grit.
            · Some light vertical scoring and scratching is acceptable if it isn’t deep enough
            to catch your fingernail, and doesn’t run the full length of the bore. (rm,sn)

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by icedplaya123 View Post

Shots Fired!
              Lol. I think he was asking because he has never done an engine with the FRM sleeves before.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
              "The Turtle"
              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

that is correct..i have never had to deal with frs before so i was not sure...i just know that you never want a polished finish...i got the information i needed.. thanks for the help..

thanks everyone

Comment

that info is wrong, you need to finish with lapping compound. even check the honda tuning article on FRM sleeves this month.
                  I <3 G60.

Comment

That info is straight from the manual.

Comment

manual is garbage.
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

or maybe your shop is wrong...I know plenty of big name shops that do it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                          or maybe your shop is wrong...I know plenty of big name shops that do it that way.
                          I think your wrong.
                          I <3 G60.

Comment

I think you're asian.

Comment

I always thought he was white till I met him.
                              3 CB's gone....
                              1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X