Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

How do i get better mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i get better mpg

Currently i get bout 21 mpg, i live in the city and i have a Auto.

I use mid grade 89, should i begin to use 87 regular?

and my egr is cloged, could that be causing the poor MPG.

Thanks for all the help.
    <br>
    new sig coming soon. Ive done a lot since i was last on here.!

No need to use 89, actually could give you worse milage(or at least i've heard that). Just do the basic maintence (oil, air filter, plugs, clean tb, etc.) and drive very smooth. Don't aburtly come off the gas or go on, tey and find a sweet spot that your not flurting the throttle. Also a trick I use in our jeep is throw her in neutral and coast, then just ease her back into to drive and continue on.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
    "The Turtle"
    DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

you also could up your tire pressure a bit. look on the sidewall of the tire for a maximum pressure. maybe go a few pounds under that? im running 36psi in mine.

yeah, and take it easy on the gas pedal. it is tempting to run it up the rpms but try to resist.
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

oh, ok sounds good
        ima go fill up on regular ^^ and ive been wondering what does that button that says push in for sport on my console do? should i leave it on normal?

ive been doing the neutral coast thing but i didnt know if it was hurting my engine or not.
        <br>
        new sig coming soon. Ive done a lot since i was last on here.!

Comment

Just stay off the throttle. I'm not shure that the neutral thing is helping neither. And just use 87 octane or whatever yalls regular is. What is your current mpg?

Comment

ive gotten as low as 22mpg in the city so it isnt horrible. stop and go kills your mileage.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Rearm91 View Post
              1) Currently i get bout 21 mpg, i live in the city and i have a Auto.

2) I use mid grade 89, should i begin to use 87 regular?

3) and my egr is cloged, could that be causing the poor MPG.

Thanks for all the help.
              1) Automatic and city drivving will always create a high mpg, but there are always ways to improve it.

2) I say stay on 89, its a little more expensive but usually creates a higher mpg.

3) Yes the EGR can affect your mpg.

I suggest you do as stated above - Oil and filter, plugs, airfilter fuel filter - Just a general tuneup and you should see some results

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Also how many miles do you have? you may need a valve adjustment that also helps your mpg

Comment

my 93 lx motor with 190000 miles auto tranny gets 28-29 mpg delivering pizza in the city. keep the rpms below 3k, change your pcv valve even if it doesn't need it,plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor, oil, fuel and oil filter, gas cap, and put lucas fuel stabilizer & injector cleaner every fill up
                  ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Originally posted by quaidum View Post
                    put lucas fuel stabilizer & injector cleaner every fill up
                    omg i can't believe you do that every time you fill up the car!! really?!
                    96 mx-6, needs work...
                    91 accord lx sedan, needs work...

Comment

o2 sensor?

Im also AT and i was averaging 24 city and once my CEL came on for the o2 sensor, ive seen a good decrease in mpg.

Pretty much everything said thus far;
                      Plugs/wires
                      cap/rotor
                      tire pressure
                      oil/fuel filter
                      EGR

That Neutral coast might help your mpg but it isnt doing alot of good for your trans. A big gas killer is coming to a red light and almost stopped, then it turns green and you accelerate from a 2/3mph roll.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                      Originally posted by Jarrett
                      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by nope View Post
                        omg i can't believe you do that every time you fill up the car!! really?!
                        yes really and i usually put around 6 ounces of it or a little more.

why?what makes u say that
                        ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
                          ... Also a trick I use in our jeep is throw her in neutral and coast, then just ease her back into to drive and continue on.
                          DON'T DO THIS! it is not very smart, automatics have a fuel cut off point when u take u foot off the gas it makes the car lean out incredibly high almost to the point where no fuel is going in. if u put it in neutral then back into drive u are risking ur tranny and not saving much money in gas
                          ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Working...
                          X