Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Removing cat and stripping trunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing cat and stripping trunk?

Someone said something about removing my CAT for a free modification. How would i go about this...any DIY?

Also something about removing stuff from the trunk for sound deadening or some crap.

Anyone know more information on either of these statements?

Yes. You can remove your cat from your exhaust system. I recommend using a "test pipe" if you do not want to run a catilytic converter. Or you can "gut" the cat. Be aware, when utilizing the test pipe, or gutted cat your exhaust tone will increase, and you will loose some low end torque, not a lot though, and gain more high end hp, also not a lot. As far as removing items from the trunk, you can take out the spare tire, trim panels, and carpet. This will shed a few pounds off of your car.

Comment

also remove sound deadener from trunk. that shit weighs a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door
        also remove sound deadener from trunk. that shit weighs a lot.
        Werd...

and a bitch to get off too...
        RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

actually i have seen peeps use paint scrapers that u use on houses to remove paint, get a shapr one from home depot they work wonders. also when scraping that shit off heat up the scraper untill so hot it almost turns red. that will help a lot. theres a lot of that shit. use a torch to heat of the scraper. if u have an old dull scraper at home sharpen it with grinder. and if u dont know what the sound deadener is its that shit that looks like tar. should be painted over with the samecolor of your car but ya never know. good luck.

Comment

How do i remove the converter, do i need to weld anything? can anyone write up a DIY or link me to one...what should i buy to do it and all that. i wanna do it.

Comment

How much does the trunk tar weigh, and would it like affect sound or cold/heat coming into the car a lot?

Comment

the shit weighs a lot i am not sure of the total weight but if u get it all out its probably 20+ pounds. and it will effect the noise a bit but not the cold. and as far as removing the cat its just 6 bolts. if its the stock cat than there probably rusted to shit, i got mine off and gutted mine and when i put it back on i used stainless bolts/nuts. hasnt rusted. if your just gutting it just remove 6 bolts/nuts, remove cat, bang out all the insides, reinstall cat. its that easy. just use lube on the bolts/nuts and you mayhave to heat up the bolts to remove them. mine were so bad u couldnt even tell there were bolts in because they were rusted over.good luck.

oh ya the tar stuff is also under the carpet in the car, its under the backseat etc. thats why its atleast 20+ pounds. the only thing it will effect is maybe you';ll have a little bit more noise but not much.

Comment

sweet, i'll do the cat tonight. and as far as the the sound thingin the trunk...what sound does it change, or make louder etc..if i take it out? exaust sound?

Comment

well mostly you might here more exhaust sounds, ,my friend did this but he said he didnt notice a differeance. so its only something to keep in mind. if anything youll get more sounds coming from the trunk since that were the tail pipe is. nothing to worry about. and when u take off your cat or attempt too dont be surprised if your cats bolts are rusted so bad to the nuts that u cant even see the nuts. they get rusted so bad that they actually bond together. if that happens break out the sawzall/cutting wheels.

Comment

can you pass emissions without a cat? or do you cheaters just put the old cat back on just for the MVD and swap back when you get home?

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
                      We got something to say!
                      Police this, condemn this, damn this
                      We'll be heard anyway!
                      Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

Originally posted by evol90accord
                        can you pass emissions without a cat? or do you cheaters just put the old cat back on just for the MVD and swap back when you get home?
                        My secret is that my car is registered in a no smog county...

But I have a friend that works at a little smog check place and we were sitting around bored one day and tested our cars just to see the readings and if they'd pass...

neither one of us did...by alot...

His car IS registered in a smog county though but he IS the ultimate hookup in that dept...

I won't mention his name for fear that I might need to use his under the table services one day...pretty good deal if you ask me... He charges $50 if you know you won't pass then $30 every year you come back to him... been doing it for years...
                        RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

I'm glad we're so environment conscience!

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
                          We got something to say!
                          Police this, condemn this, damn this
                          We'll be heard anyway!
                          Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

I rolled my car up on those two wheel thingies to get under the car. The bolts were impossible to get off, and i have no money to buy solvent solutions or whatever to get them off. I tried hitting them with my wrench, but brute force only left me with dirt in my eye. So i was out of time, and decided i'll just try it later. even though i want this done NOW =(

Comment

not to sound synical but if you dont have money to buy solvent($5) to loosen the bolts then how do u expect to put a test pipe on(+$20)
                              it just goes to show that almost any mod people do to there cars is gonna cost some money. wish there were actual free mods
                              94 accord lx
                              JDM H22A auto swap, aem cai, apexi WS2 exhaust, modified dc sports header,random tech. cat.
                              http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468060

Comment

Working...
                              X