Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Do I have a freak motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
    Put it on a dyno and that will tell you. Some people have gotten freak h22a where stock with just bolt ons they pull 198whp. One of the members did that here.
    That is more likely due to differences in dyno, the tuner, air temp, and a lot of other things
    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
      That is more likely due to differences in dyno, the tuner, air temp, and a lot of other things
      Also stock. With bolt ons. (Which makes it not stock.)

Comment

Also you when comparing a "freak motor" to a normal motor, you are doing it on a car that is 15-18 years old. There is really no way to ever be sure if there really is such thing unless you have a pretty much brand new motor that you think is a freak, and a brand new motor that is not a freak, and you test them on a engine dyno. There are a lot of factors that can make one car quicker then another even if they are stock besides the motor. Besides the driver, axles, brakes, gear condition, being properly oiled, suspension condition, cooling ect. I also think a engine has more of a chance of being under-powered due to a poor assembly then to somehow be better then another of the same model (but then again it would probably be tested and not meet the requirements and Honda would not put it into the car). However, maybe it is possible that something like the cams get mixed up at the factory somehow and say a A6 cam ends up going into a A1 or A4 motor.
        Last edited by AbsurdNY; 10-27-2008, 05:19 PM.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
        Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
        My member's ride

Comment

Freak motors do exist!

Alot of parts are cast iron or aluminum.... Cores shift, sometimes there is extra casting flash filling up ports.....

Just because machines make the parts doesn't mean they are going to be correct.

Its not like everything is billet and cnc machined...

Comment

Originally posted by ATS666 View Post
            Cores shift, sometimes there is extra casting flash filling up ports.....
            I don't see how that would make a motor better. If anything it would hurt performance. The cast mold is not going to just grow and make the cylinders bigger. Nothing else would work with that block then and Honda would melt it back down. Sure I'm sure that parts do get fucked up in the casting process, but they don't use those parts. The parts that get messed up would need other parts to be messed up just to line up with them and the chances of that happening are pretty much not possible. If a intake manifold somehow comes out bigger, what about the gaskets? what about the ports on the block? If cylinders come out bigger, what about the pistons and rings? I just don't think its possible. If anything, parts can get mixed up. Different gears could be put in a tranny then what are supposed to be in the car, a different throttle body or a cam gets mixed up and put into a engine its not intended for.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
            Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
            My member's ride

Comment

Originally posted by AbsurdNY View Post
              I If a intake manifold somehow comes out bigger, what about the gaskets?
              You've never actually compared an intake manifold to a gasket have you? Parts are not gasket matched at the factory. Some pieces may match better than others, which results in better performance.
              Originally posted by sweet91accord
              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Or because the car is 15-20 years old, it could already have had parts swapped w/o knowing.
                Eg the head got warped or cracked previously, so they put on a F22A head.
                As to which head it was, who knows.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I have a a4.. I guess I have a "freak" motor as well then huh

Originally posted by Juice21
                  thnx pimpette, your car inspired me to go lower
                  Originally posted by GameChewer
                  Shiit i heard that, you heard the queen!

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    you probably have a healthy motor. i remember my A4 with 212k miles being pretty quick.
                    Word up

Health makes a huge difference

One of my friends has a 91 EX w/just bullshit I/H/E and a lightened flywheel, and it definitely has some pep. Feels faster than my car when you dip into the throttle in low gears.

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

the healthiest motor ive seen was phatdoughnuts h22. that shit was pumping nearly 200hp to the wheels on a bare motor.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
                        no such thing as freak motor. Like previously stated, machines make the parts, not humans. How healthy the motor is, how good the driver is, tires, weight, maintence..... those are the things that count.

You think your car has a more aggressive cam? tune? tb? im?? no.

Go talk to a SCCA race team with money, they will buy 5+ engines and Dyno them all, just to find the one who has the extra 2 HP hid in the manufacturing. When you are racing spec classes its all the same suspension, tires, ect. and stock engines!.... so those few little ponnies are a great gift from the guy who got a BJ before work.

If they where equal, why waste the time choosing your race engine and your backup.

That would be like saying that the day your car was made dosn't matter... "Never race a car from friday's production run"
                        Last edited by GreenMadness; 10-31-2008, 11:37 AM.
                        Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMadness View Post
                          Go talk to a SCCA race team with money, they will buy 5+ engines and Dyno them all, just to find the one who has the extra 2 HP hid in the manufacturing. When you are racing spec classes its all the same suspension, tires, ect. and stock engines!.... so those few little ponnies are a great gift from the guy who got a BJ before work.
                          That's a "freak" motor? So 2hp is big gains now? One that puts out 2hp more than normal? WOW.

Saying a car must have a freak motor is how people lie about race results.
                          - Ghosty
                          WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
                          FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostyman View Post
                            That's a "freak" motor? So 2hp is big gains now? One that puts out 2hp more than normal? WOW.

Saying a car must have a freak motor is how people lie about race results.
                            Did you have anything worth while to contribute along with that giant pile of spew?
                            Originally posted by sweet91accord
                            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                              Did you have anything worth while to contribute along with that giant pile of spew?
                              Yeah, just reiterating the point of the knowledgeable people on this thread who understand that freak motors don't exist. Sorry I wasn't clear enough for you.

And seriously, "giant pile of spew"? Lets not go overboard here, homeboy. This is the internet, I could have spewed a lot more.
                              - Ghosty
                              WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
                              FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

let it go foamy, he dosn't know. Racing exist on a track, not on streets, where the distance a shifter is from the steering wheel MAKES a diffrence and where 2hp could be and extra .1 sec/lap
                                Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

Working...
                                X