Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Lightened flywheel....chatter.???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightened flywheel....chatter.???

I'm running the XTD 12lb Prolite flywheel with XTD stage 1 clutch. Is it normal for lightened flywheels to chatter when trying to feather the clutch for a smooth start from stop or is it my crappy flywheel/clutch?

It is EXTREMELY difficult to start from idle with my setup, I assume because the lightened flywheel doesn't provide near as much momentum as the OEM heavy one. If I give it 1500 rpms and slowly release the clutch it chatters like crazy. If I rev to 2000+ and release medium-quick while laying progressively on the gas it takes off very smooth and very quick, but burns alot of gas too.

Any thoughts? I think next time I'm going for an Exedy OEM clutch with possibly F1 flywheel.....
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

I think you may need more time with it. Mine doesn't chatter with an 8lb and 4 puck disc.

L8r
    Turbo H23a3 build has begun
    01-01-2019

Comment

the setup has over 3000 miles on it so it's well broken in. And I've driven plenty of manuals in my life including the oem 5spd my tranny swap came from and this isn't a "me doing it" thing.
      My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

I had problems like that with my old H22a with a F1 flywheel (12lb) and a Gripforce clutch, It went away after about 5kish, and never happened again.

As for F2 being cheapy, I love there flywheels, as well as gripforce clutches, I couldnt get my stage 2 to slip for the life of me. I just made sure i had the clutch/flywheel assembley ballanced together!
        -RIP Eric Hall. Miss you brother-
        newskoolhippy (10:53:37 PM): i want to see a pic of you with a hard-on to prove thats your cock
        newskoolhippy (10:53:56 PM): i need to see your face in the pic
        newskoolhippy (10:54:07 PM): with todays paper in the picture to prove your taking it now

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
          the setup has over 3000 miles on it so it's well broken in. And I've driven plenty of manuals in my life including the oem 5spd my tranny swap came from and this isn't a "me doing it" thing.
          It is the XTD clutch. It sucks, lol.
          Ever since I put the Exedy in mine with 8 lbs flywheel back in July I can't get it to chatter. I think I have put like 7 or 8k on it too. Damn, I drive a lot.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter
          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
            It is the XTD clutch. It sucks, lol.
            Ever since I put the Exedy in mine with 8 lbs flywheel back in July I can't get it to chatter. I think I have put like 7 or 8k on it too. Damn, I drive a lot.
            Gonna try and wear this one out asap so i'll have a reason to replace the setup.....how important is it to balance the flywheel/clutch assembly and where would I get this done if I decided to?
            My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Gonna try and wear this one out asap so i'll have a reason to replace the setup.....how important is it to balance the flywheel/clutch assembly and where would I get this done if I decided to?
              Well, I did absolutely nothing except R&R my clutch and flywheel. It should come balanced.
              Gary A.K.A. Carter
              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                Well, I did absolutely nothing except R&R my clutch and flywheel. It should come balanced.
                Yeah that's what I always thought. Should be fine, especially since we aren't revving our F22 above 6k.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

I'm running the XTD 12lb Prolite flywheel with XTD stage 1 clutch. Is it normal for lightened flywheels to chatter when trying to feather the clutch for a smooth start from stop or is it my crappy flywheel/clutch?

It is EXTREMELY difficult to start from idle with my setup, I assume because the lightened flywheel doesn't provide near as much momentum as the OEM heavy one. If I give it 1500 rpms and slowly release the clutch it chatters like crazy. If I rev to 2000+ and release medium-quick while laying progressively on the gas it takes off very smooth and very quick, but burns alot of gas too.

Any thoughts? I think next time I'm going for an Exedy OEM clutch with possibly F1 flywheel.....
                  I had the same clutch, I got the alignment off a little bit when I put it in, and the chatter was unreal. After a realignment, it was much better, but it still chattered. Now I have a excedy stg 1 and it is smoother than a baby's ass.
                  spin city

Comment

the clutch is garbage that's why. i used to get chatter with my exedy but it's fairly worn now so it is just right
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                    X