Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

How long of an interval for Royal Purple and K&N oil filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long of an interval for Royal Purple and K&N oil filter?

Just curious, how long do you guys think the Royal Purple Oil combined w/ a K&N oil filter will last? Would it be okay to run it more than 3K/3months? I was thinking at least 5K.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

you could probably do 7500 and do oil filter changes at every 2500.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

in idea conditions you only need to change oil and filter every 7500 miles, it sales that some where in the accord manual.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
        you could probably do 7500 and do oil filter changes at every 2500.
        even on the K&N filters? I thought they had more filter media so they'd last longer?

member's ride thread
        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          even on the K&N filters? I thought they had more filter media so they'd last longer?
          Don't know if that would make it last longer and to be truthful if you want it to last longer get a filter relocation kit so you can change it easier and get one that has re-usable metal filters, but if you are trying to save a couple of bucks an oil change i would consider going to a cheaper price oil, like Valvoline, Castro, or you can upgrade to Motul the only oil I know to last 10,000 mile no problem, but one thing to remember oil doesn't wear out, it just get dirty and the additives wear out.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

I thought K&N said there filters are a million miles you just have to clean them so often.
            -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

that applies to air intake filters only I'm sure^

I'd follow the max interval in the manual for oil, like wed3k implied, and 3k for the filter

I found this web page was relevant

Oil Change Intervals
              Oversized filters offer you the chance to use extended drain intervals with your motor oil.

Honda recommends that you change the oil in your Prelude every 7500 miles. Many dealers attempt to get you change the oil in your car every 3000 miles. Changing your oil every 3000 miles is basically a complete waste of your money, and bad for the environment. (That used oil needs to go somewhere...)

Even the worst of oil filters will last for 3000 miles without any problems at all, and almost any motor oil will last for 7500 miles.

If you use Redline, Mobil 1, AMSOIL, Royal Purple, or Valvoline synthetic motor oils you can easily run your oil in your engine without any problems for the OEM recommended change interval of 7500 miles.

The only time you have to consider changing your motor oil at shorter intervals is if your car is not a daily driver, and will not warm up to full operating temperature for at least 30 minutes a day. The reason for this is that small amounts of moisture (water) in the air tend to soak slowly into your motor oil. (The oil system is not truly closed, even though you have an oil cap.) The water mixes with the oil and other matter in the oil system and forms acids that can eat your engine parts over time. Warming up the engine causes the moisture to leave the motor oil. If you are changing your oil every 3000 miles (because you drive the car once a week) or at a specific time intervals (every 4-6 months because you aren't putting 3000 miles on the oil), then it's not as import to use synthetic motor oil.

Some people will disagree with the above, but the fact is that just about every brand name non-synthetic oil (or "dino") will last 3000 miles and have almost no significant wear to the oil or engine. It is not cost effective to use synthetic oil if you car sits for long intervals with low mileage.

The chief advantages to using synthetic motor oils are typically considered to be better at extended drain intervals, have better thermal stability, better cold flow characteristics, superior additive packages, and a lower coefficient of friction (resulting in lower engine wear and better gas mileage).

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
              where you been, is something wrong?
              i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by customchord View Post
                I thought K&N said there filters are a million miles you just have to clean them so often.
                yeah thats true but I've got their OIL filter lol.
                Last edited by Losiracer2; 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM.

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

just throw your oil filter in the washer and dryer!
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I'd change the filter at least every 5k miles. The oil will probably still be good in 12-15k miles, but its your call as to when you wanna change that. bobistheoilguy.com is a good place to go.
                    spin city

Comment

Originally posted by dbsharp View Post
                      I'd change the filter at least every 5k miles. The oil will probably still be good in 12-15k miles, but its your call as to when you wanna change that. bobistheoilguy.com is a good place to go.
                      yeah 5K sounds like a good interval. Since this filter has double the pleats and I'm assuming double the filter media than lets say an STP or Fram Tough Guard, what I was using previously, I think it could hold up to that task.

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I went to 4.5k on royal purple and a fram, oil was still relatively clean. No chunks or sludging.

That K&N filter is HUGE! I run a tiny little HAMP now lol.
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        ..It's not cheap to build a fast CB7, especially NA. However, if you're willing to put the money into the car, it's well worth it in the end. There ARE faster cars out there, but some people, like me, want THIS particular car to be fast!...
                        Sold to:tanNn2koo,9tAkord,ThrakBarts,nahmo,andrizzle,or anger
                        Bought from:93a-lude, bruno8747, soysauce

1993 H22A cb7 <3 miss you
                        04 WRX stg 2 sedan
                        Current - 02 WRX stg 2 wagon

Comment

Originally posted by myk View Post
                          I went to 4.5k on royal purple and a fram, oil was still relatively clean. No chunks or sludging.

That K&N filter is HUGE! I run a tiny little HAMP now lol.
                          yeah they claim they have double the pleats for filtration, and I kinda believe them, its like 58 vs 34 compared to the Fram ones. So if the fram ones go til 3k w/o any major problems then i'd assume I could go to at least 5k miles. I'm thinking about doing 6k miles and just changing the filter and running the oil for like 12k miles...periodically checking the condition of the oil?

you think that would be wise?

member's ride thread
                          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I would go about 7500 mi on the oil (though in reality it probably lasts longer) and change the filter at 5000 mi
                            FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

7500 seems long to me, I might consider running my oil to 4000 miles now that I am completely switched over to mobil 1 and mobil 1 filters. I do it at 3500 miles now. but i would probably never consider goin past 5000 miles on an oil change, thats just me

all in all synthetics FTW

-sean
                              Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                              Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Working...
                              X