Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

p12 vs pt6 and f22a6 cam and intake mani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p12 vs pt6 and f22a6 cam and intake mani

Surely someone on here can answer this question.

I have a p12. I also have a pt6, a6 cam and a6 intake mani. Which ECU is going to be more beneficial to the cam and mani? Is the p12 going to be aggressive enough for the cam and mani, or will it actually hold them back? I'm still putting the p12 in until I decide whether or not I'm going to overcome my laziness and do the cam swap. (Which won't matter if someone buys the cam.)

Can I swap the intake mani, keep the p12 and hook the secondaries up to operate by vacuum, thus giving me more airflow in the upper range, but not requiring the pt6 to open them? Or could I hook the secondaries up to an old school choke cable and open them by hand when I need the extra air flow (That's a joke, folks.)

p12 is for a F22A1 prelude right? the A1 doesn't have the A6 IABs therefore the p12 won't activate them at high RPMs, but the PT6 is meant for the A6, therefore it would activate them.

A6 has 140 hp stock
    A1 w/ p12 has 135 hp stock.

so idk its a toss up. but the IABs wont work if you choose the p12 route since the ECU isn't programmed to have them.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Get a cheap shift light set it to 4000k and hook the IAB to that.
      wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7
        Get a cheap shift light set it to 4000k and hook the IAB to that.
        I started to chuckle over that, then thought about it.

What about removing the butterflies? How bad will it affect things?

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet
          I started to chuckle over that, then thought about it.

What about removing the butterflies? How bad will it affect things?
          You will lose a hefty chunk of low end torque.
          Originally posted by sweet91accord
          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Screw that then. That's the best part!

Comment

Screw that then. That's the best part!

lmao.

if you hook the IABs up to a vaccum sorce, you should be ok. my and black_soul tested this out. at WOT and at about 4500rpms the IABs open up with just vaccum. but if you have the p12 installed it'll give you that extra HP with the cam and IM. i would say this

p12
              a6 IM
              and a6 cam.

so if the a6 comes with 140hp and you have the p12, shouldnt the p12 logicly put the a1 with the a6 IM and a6 cam push it to 145hp?

Comment

I would run the intended PT6 with its own respective cam and IM. This is how Honda designed it from the factory, it is the best setup since you are using the stock components. IMO, get some actual performance upgrades for gains and then get some sort of engine management to back it up if you want real gains. Common sense says, if you use stock components of a slightly better motor setup, then use its respective ECU as well!

The best thing to do for the PT6 setup people try to do, is get the rest of your motor running correctly because most people DO have problems with their motors. Fix those, give it a tune-up and swap the stock A6 parts over and/or go with H23 plenum & TB or just get an entire H23 IM.
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                  I would run the intended PT6 with its own respective cam and IM. This is how Honda designed it from the factory, it is the best setup since you are using the stock components. IMO, get some actual performance upgrades for gains and then get some sort of engine management to back it up if you want real gains. Common sense says, if you use stock components of a slightly better motor setup, then use its respective ECU as well!

The best thing to do for the PT6 setup people try to do, is get the rest of your motor running correctly because most people DO have problems with their motors. Fix those, give it a tune-up and swap the stock A6 parts over and/or go with H23 plenum & TB or just get an entire H23 IM.

what about the ones who dont have the stock a6? i know i dont have the wiring that goes to the IAB box. thats why im asking about the gains you could get by hooking up the IABs to a vacuum source. and putting in a wiring harness or doing that pin in the ECU aint the easiest thing the wrold to do. lol

Comment

Well, since I have everything, and I know I can swap in the a6 cam and intake with a vacuum line for the IABs. It's not going to be a big deal to run with the pt6, gather some data and then make some runs with the p12 and compare. I've got a beltronics fx1 accelerometer, so getting the numbers will be accurate. I'll probably have to ask where to tap my vacuum from for the IABs at some point. My engine is already running as well as I could expect, no stumbling, no missing, only a little rich when it's first started. I realize that vacuum vs electronic actuation of the IABs isn't ideal, but it should work better than not having IABs.

Comment

Well, since I have everything, and I know I can swap in the a6 cam and intake with a vacuum line for the IABs. It's not going to be a big deal to run with the pt6, gather some data and then make some runs with the p12 and compare. I've got a beltronics fx1 accelerometer, so getting the numbers will be accurate. I'll probably have to ask where to tap my vacuum from for the IABs at some point. My engine is already running as well as I could expect, no stumbling, no missing, only a little rich when it's first started. I realize that vacuum vs electronic actuation of the IABs isn't ideal, but it should work better than not having IABs.

there should be 2 nipples coming from the front the IM. one goes to the fuel pressure regulator and the other might be blocked off or leading elsewhere. i know for the sure the other one isnt needed. i plugged mine up to that nipple and got it work right.

Comment

Running the IABs via vacuum source is worthless. Under any appreciable load, vacuum drops, and they open. AKA...you are taking off quickly, you put the pedal down. Guess what happens? You have no vacuum in your intake and the butterflies open, and there goes your torque.

Watch these videos in this link, and tell me how much good these butterflies would actually do ON the car...

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=IAB+wot
                        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
                          Running the IABs via vacuum source is worthless. Under any appreciable load, vacuum drops, and they open. AKA...you are taking off quickly, you put the pedal down. Guess what happens? You have no vacuum in your intake and the butterflies open, and there goes your torque.

Watch these videos in this link, and tell me how much good these butterflies would actually do ON the car...

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=IAB+wot

well the p12 should help out with the tourqe loss problem. being that it riches up the fuel map it'll give you a little better off the line acceleration shouldnt it? or am i thinking of it wrong.

my main thing is it shouldnt really matter. if you have a few mods to help with better acceleration the loss in tourqe from the IABs opening up should get canceled out right?

Comment

Trust me, IABs help a ton, even with mods. I've got an H23 IM, 2.25" catback, and a CAI and with the IABs unplugged, the car lacks a lot of low end power.

Also, with PT3 runs the car very rich at WOT as it is, causing a reduction in power, as the extra fuel cools down the combustion chamber, causing less heat, which leads to less power. I can only imagine how rich a P12 would make it.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
                              Trust me, IABs help a ton, even with mods. I've got an H23 IM, 2.25" catback, and a CAI and with the IABs unplugged, the car lacks a lot of low end power.

Also, with PT3 runs the car very rich at WOT as it is, causing a reduction in power, as the extra fuel cools down the combustion chamber, causing less heat, which leads to less power. I can only imagine how rich a P12 would make it.

well i thought that cooler temps ment more HP. wtf? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X