Front or back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front or back?

I've seen a lot of installs where the subs are facing towards the back of the car instead of towards the rear seat. Does this increase bass response? I've got mine facing towards the rear seat, but if this helps I might just turn them around.
    "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

I have mine facing out, and the response is dead on. I've had no problems.

Comment

Why don't you try it? I have found that I get different bass response when I have it in different posistions...heck I have even turned my box so that the subs are pointing up toward the 6x9s (but mainly so luggage didn't hit the subs.) You may find that you like the way it sounds better pointing toward your seat rather than pointing toward your trunk...experiment. For the record though, I am pointing mine toward the trunk.
      "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

This is how I have mine for the time being. It has impressed many-a-people when they sit down and they turn their head backwards to see where the bass is coming from. I still have to seal the sides up so no air will escape to the trunk.
        Attached Files

A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
        Frost White CB7 Crew - Member #4
        Official Ebay Whore Crew #9

Comment

Long ago when I had my system, I experimented with every direction. I liked pointing the subs at the rear seats the best. It looked cleaner and was less prone to damage when putting stuff in the trunk. It also looks cooler when you're driving with the back seat down. If I had a really custom fabricated box with neons and the like, then I would probably point it towards the back.
          -'93 Accord EX 5-speed F22A6
          -DIY mesh grill, DIY stealth intake

Comment

Theory is that when you point your subs towards the back and push them up against the seat your trunk becomes a sound chamber.

Gives the bass wave (which is very long) more time to develop before it bounces back into your car.

You may also want to try FatMat, DynaMat or something. Me, personally, I used the gutter tape from Home Depot ($15 for a 20' x 12" roll) and have been really happy. In fact, had to move the crossover on my 6x9s in the rear deck because they became too bassy.
            Bart: What's your name?
            Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

Well I finally turned my box around. I must say it sounds a lot better. I can turn it up with out it distorting now. I was able to turn down the gain, but with the box turned around it sounds like I have more bass and no distortion.
              "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

Working...
              X