Wiring Basics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Basics?

hey can anyone help me out with maybe a website or good book or something of that sort that could show me some basics to wiring? like not really just audio wiring like general automotive wiring? like soldering, splicing, tapping into a another power source? things like that...
    im new to it and i need to learn some basics for some things im planning to put in

any help is appreciated
    thanks

It would help to know what you're trying to do so we can give you some specific insight...

Comment

well at the moment im gonna put neons in my footwells or under the front seats and ive read all the installs and it all requires soldering and such if i want to like tap in my cigarette lighter power wire. BUT i really just wanted to know if anyone knew a sight that could shows the basic to general wiring or where people learned to do this...so if not its ok ill find out somthing that can show me but just thought someone might have a good link

Comment

anyone got something? where did yall learn it?!?!

Comment

http://www.bcae1.com/
          get the solder that doesnt need flux. fusing is always a good idea. finding a power source is easy. get a digital multimeter not a crappy test light.
          http://the12volt.com/ has a good forum as well as info.
          FA1

Comment

ok thanks guys...if i have any questions ill def hit u up man thanks

Comment

I went to a school in new jersey where I learned pretty much all I know about car wiring. The first thing I would tell you to do is get a digital multimeter and look for a 12v source I believe for the cig lighter is a white and blue wire but don't take my word I haven't look at that in a while.
              1993 Accord EX
              2011 Subaru STi

Comment

smae here im "getting" all of my wiring knowledge in high school right now. Even though the shop teacher is a prick!

"Up Down, Slide To Slide"

Members ride thread- ]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=63019]

Comment

which school in jersey? i went to mobile dynamics in az. ive worked at best buy for about 8 months. worked at 2 other audio shops. best way to learn is practice... i recommend to get started, buy a 12v test light, you can get them at sears for about 20 bucks. get a digital multimeter, i have a fluke, one of the top 2 brands. buy crimpers, strippers and a grabber (or wire puller as i call it). pretty much all that stuff can be bought at any tool store, namely sears or harbor freight. your best bet is to become framiliar with your tool. dont just go probing shit that you dont know aht it is. but in a cb7 you can get ignition, starter and constant batt all at a harness in your driver kickpanel (i forget which plug) it will be larger wires than the rest of the other harnesses. in a 12v auto system any metal point in your chassis is a ground assuming its welded. you can use your meter or test light by attaching or connecting your ground to the chassis. i would say start at your radio harness so you know what wires are what and you can practice testing them. ignition is basically the on posistion your car is in while driving, accessory is just the first turn of the key where your electrical system turns on, starter is when you crank the engine. once you start to get a feel for the electrical system you'll see its very easy to understand. one thing tho, if your going to tap wires under your dash, ALWAYS fuse them just to be safe. if your unsure how to do this just PM me and i can help, i usually check on here everyday, a few times a week at the least. oh, car electronics are DC, direct current systems. speaker output and home electricity are AC current, alternating current. if you wanna do some research check out more on here or go to the12volt.com or 12volt.com ...... i forget which it is. and as always u can ask me or many other people on this site are well researched in electrical knowledge. im always down to help a fellow tuner. have fun, be safe, and if you fuck up... it aint my fault lol.

Member Ride Facebook
                  XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
                  SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
                  For Sale Thread

Comment

Working...
                  X