Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infinity Reference Speaker Owners: Has this happened to you? (Large pics inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infinity Reference Speaker Owners: Has this happened to you? (Large pics inside)

I've had these speakers for about 5 years now, and one day when I playing the stereo, not even that loud (honest!) the bass disappeared and became crackly. This is what I found when I opened them up.

The car is always garaged, and I have tinted glass. Because the rubber is in perfect shape still, I think it's a manufacturing defect since I can see concentric circles which promoted the untimely failure of my Infinity's.

If any of you have these pearl coned speakers check to see if you have this problem too.

I got some of their subs and the are going strong for about 4 years. Are they still under store warranty or the Infinity company warranty..... I know that shit has to suck big time.....

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

No, no warranty. But 6 years is crap for a speaker that wasn't abused. Hell the oems in terms of longetivity were far superior to these. By the look of the cones, it appears that this failure was a long time in the making, but didn't materialize until after some time had passed. The cone material is very, very brittle now and crumbles in my hands like weak eggshell.
      Last edited by Prez808; 12-18-2006, 07:52 PM.

Comment

i used to have a set of infinity reference speakers in the rear. they had an issue with the rubber surround getting all warped. ended up coming apart and the speakers sounded like poo. wish i took a picture of it. on the other hand ive had 5 1/4 infinity kappa series in the fronts for 3 years and they are amazing!
        F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
        Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

see what theyll do for you...and email that picture and this thread to them.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

thanks again for the warning erik... ill be buying polks

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang
              thanks again for the warning erik... ill be buying polks
              damn, i've never seen a speaker like that or heard of one 'crumbling'...

and off-topic, but polks are freakin amazing.
              Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Get the Kappa Series!!

I would recommend getting the Infinity Kappa Perfect Series Components or Coaxials, these are by far the best as far as clarity and performance is concerned. The Reference Series is Ok but, don't hold up to well as U can see.

Comment

Ive got the Kappa's and LOVE THEM!

kappa FTW!

ESP with my UPS crazy discount!

Comment

Reference speakers shouldn't even do this. At least not that early. Maybe after being out in the sun for 10 years. I do love Kappas, but... at the impedence they run at, isn't an amp required? An installer buddy of mine says it's the only way.

Comment

not so sure about the wetness, since the trunk is always dry. It's also a very uniform pattern, so that doesn't seem too likely.

Comment

Manufacturing defect maybe? The rings that formed just look to uniform to be anything that just happened, it had to be some flaw that the speakers already had.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                        Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

So I had to fax, that's right FAX Infinity a letter explaining what had happened and asking nicely that the situation resolved in a "favorable manner."

A week went by and Infinity e-mailed me saying something to the effect of: Please Prez don't hurt us! We're sorry for being bitches and making subpar speakers. As a token of our appreciation for endorsing our brand, please accept a brand new pair of our 3 way reference speakers!

Ok so they didn't say that, but they are sending new 3 way references! It pays to speak up.

Comment

Good job.

I say defect or water.

The OEM speakers in mine (at 13 years) looked good for there age, the surrounds still had some life in it, and the cones weren't very rigid, but they they weren't bad either. Problem was that the right side ones were partially seized. I was planning on replacing them anyways. I like nice sound.

And I would love to have a complete set of the Kappas, preferably components up front. I love the green.
                            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Thanks. Definately not water as the 6x9's are mounted high up, and I have no trunk leaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X