Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmm .. Difficulty and Conflicting Opinions on Mounting Depth for Front Doors ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm .. Difficulty and Conflicting Opinions on Mounting Depth for Front Doors ...

Ok .. I'm in the midst of searching the A/E Section here on CB7T and have run into a wall ..
    The mounting depth on the 90 LX is what I refer to ..

I'm looking at the Rockford Fosgate Punch P163C 6.5" mount depth: 2-3/4" .. however,
    it appears that wont fit without some sorta kickpanel .. (who, or .. what is .. *q form*??)
    So I go to eBay .. and see the Rockford Fosgate T162C 6.5" mounting Depth 2.5" ..
    I go to Crutchfeild .. and see that the same Rockford Fosgate T162C has a mounting depth
    of 1-11/16" .. and .. they say it fits .. ok .. so before I myself have a fit .. lol
    I'll continue my searching here at CB7T along with looking at Crutchfeild .. BUT ..

Has anyone got a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" speakers in their LX doors
    that did NOT do any modifying ?? Or having added any kickpanels to accommodate
    such a depth? Or .. wtf ? lol

And once again .. who is, or what is .. q form? As reffered to by gloryaccordy in this thread ..
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=kickpanel

Thanks dudes ..
    Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Q-Logic/Q-Forms

http://www.qlogic.ws/2003/home/
    Last edited by casterX; 06-18-2006, 04:10 PM.

Comment

LOL .. Thanks Caster .. I guess I coulda looked that up also ..

Just so engrossed in trying to figure out if I can actually use a speaker that is 2-3/4" deep ..
      I have found posts that suggest the use of *spacers* .. so .. hmm .. I think the safe thing
      to do is to call my boyz at the shop tomorrow and see what they say .. I'm sure that they'll
      have alotta input and perhaps know what to do ..

I just dont wanna end up with some cheap lightweight magnent speakers up front ..
      I blew my pass/side Cerwin Vega 6.5" out today) so .. I wanna replace them with something
      strong and something that will complement the 6x9 Infinity's in back, along with the
      alpine tweets that I have in the front doors .. and after reading all the posts .. while researching
      I've kina settled on the Fosgate's .. and now I run into a wall with conflicting depths ..

Ha! .. story of my life .. lol

A Hui Hou !!!
      Tomi

Comment

If you want speakers that have a larger depth you will need to cut the back piece off the speaker pod. That way the magnet will go through and you will still be able to screw up the speaker onto the pod.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
          If you want speakers that have a larger depth you will need to cut the back
          piece off the speaker pod. That way the magnet will go through and you will still be able to
          screw up the speaker onto the pod.
          Thanks .. that I understand from the searching and reading that I'm doing but as I asked
          on another thread I found on the subject .. is .. how far back til I touch glass when the window
          is rolled down ? lol

Or to be more specific .. whats the *maximum allowable depth* that I can get away with?
          I really wanna get this pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch P163C 6.5" for the fronts ..
          but they show a mounting depth of: 2-3/4" .. and quite frankly ... that kina freaks me out!

How far away is the basket's back .. from the window when its rolled down?

And I'm assuming that the basket is there for a reason .. no? lol .. ummm sorta to protect it
          from the wet and wild rains that Florida is so well known for?

A Hui Hou !!!
          Tomi

Comment

Just have your window rolled all the way down when you install, so that way you cannot possibly install them to where the window would hit.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
              Just have your window rolled all the way down when you install,
              so that way you cannot possibly install them to where the window would hit.
              Wellll .. that's what I'm trying to avoid before I make the purchase ..

But check this out .. I have two other Cewin Vega's, just like the one's that I have in
              the front doors right now .. yep .. I bought two more because I knew how rare they were,
              and if I ever did have a problem .. (like I do now with the 3rd blown one) that I could
              simply remove one and install the other .. no down time and no hassle .. yayyy ..
              Anyway .. I grabbed one of the old blown one's just now .. and took two straight edges
              and measured them with my ruler .. from the back of the magnent .. to the back of
              the screw mounts .. it's 2-1/4" .. now me thinks that I should have atleast another 1/2 inch
              before I run into problems .. therefore .. I might get the Fosgate's .. and take my chance's .. LOL !

Ug .. ok .. I'm rippin one a the door panels off tomorrow, and measuring how far away
              the back of that basket is from the window .. and or, the back of the speaker is ...
              Sigh .. this should be so simple .. but noooo .. How could Mr Honda in his wildest dreams
              know that there would even be a CB7Tuner.com .. let alone after market speakers
              being installed in his masterpiece's known after his demise to be the CB7 itself!??? lol

I hope he's looking down at all of us .. specially me .. and havin a great laff ..

We love ya too Mr Honda !!!
              Tomi

Comment

I know this is a really old thread, but I couldn't find any answers. Does anyone know the maximum mounting depth for the front door? Or what is the biggest speaker anyone has put in without using a baffle/spacer?

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe
                  I know this is a really old thread, but I couldn't find any answers. Does anyone know the maximum mounting depth for the front door? Or what is the biggest speaker anyone has put in without using a baffle/spacer?
                  Well I'll give you the closest answer possible. I have RF T162-C Speakers. They have a mounting depth of 2.5". I took out the black plastic housing that was on the original speakers in the front doors. Using 1/2" MDF I created spacer rings which screw into the door and the speakers screw into them. I also have soft rubber baffles for the speakers surrounding the speakers so they don't get wet. So lets see

Speaker Depth - Mounting ring + Baffle thickness = Total mounting depth.

2.5" - .5" + 1cm = A little over 2"

With my setup, the windows do roll all the way down, but when they get near the speakers they slow down quite a bit. This means that the glass is coming in contact with the speaker baffle slightly but still clears it. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                  Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Do you happen to know how close to the door panel it is with that 1/2" baffle? I'm guessing 3" deep speakers is just out of the question in our doors....

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe
                      Do you happen to know how close to the door panel it is with that 1/2" baffle? I'm guessing 3" deep speakers is just out of the question in our doors....
                      I'm not sure how close it is to the door panel, but I don't think it's very close. you could try a 1" baffle and see if that works Don't know how close it would be, but you could aways just test fit them to see if it would work, nothing to loose.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                      Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn
                        I'm not sure how close it is to the door panel, but I don't think it's very close. you could try a 1" baffle and see if that works Don't know how close it would be, but you could aways just test fit them to see if it would work, nothing to loose.
                        I don't have the speakers or I'd try to fit them in somehow, but I guess it would be easier to find a different speaker. Thanks for your help though.

Comment

Working...
                        X