subwoofer wiring options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

subwoofer wiring options

new to the board and my accord.. lol. 1990 accord lx coupe, got it about a month ago, so far my ice consists of a pioneer cd/mp3 head unit, soundstream 4 channel amp, 2 rockford fosgate hpc 6.5"s in the front, 2 crappy kenwood 6.5's in the back (soon to be replaced by another pair of rockford fosgates)

ok so im going to get two 12" alpine type r's next week along with a rockford fosgate 601s amp. i plan on installing them myself, so i would like some advice on how to wire them to be as power efficient as possible.

now on to the specs..
    the subs are 4 ohm dual voice coil, so i can wire them to 2 ohm each, right? and i could also wire them in parallel @ 4 ohm?
    ok and the amp is a 2 channel that puts out 300x2 rms @ 2 ohms, 150x2 rms @ 4 ohms OR i can bridge it and have 600x1 rms @ 4 ohms..

so (with my limited knowledge) it seems that i would be best off either wiring the subs seperately to their own channels at 2 ohms and get 300 rms each, or wire them im parallel at 4 ohms and split the 600x1? seems like it'd be the same to me if these are plausable setups..

You could bridge them...I remember when i had my system what i did is i hade...

Profile Clarus 800w amp
    Alpine Headunit
    2 12' Alpine type E's Or S's I forget

Anyways I wired the power from the battery to the back...
    For the ground i used the screw from the rear seat.. It's hard to get at but it's hidden....

I had 2 wires comming from each sub then i connected them to the amp and bridged them then i fine tuned the system with the bass , gain, Hi/low/full

Until i got what i wanted... and i loved it.. Ill get a system again once i get my car on teh road

Comment

Re: subwoofer wiring options

Originally posted by djestouff

now on to the specs..
      the subs are 4 ohm dual voice coil, so i can wire them to 2 ohm each, right? and i could also wire them in parallel @ 4 ohm?
      ok and the amp is a 2 channel that puts out 300x2 rms @ 2 ohms, 150x2 rms @ 4 ohms OR i can bridge it and have 600x1 rms @ 4 ohms..

so (with my limited knowledge) it seems that i would be best off either wiring the subs seperately to their own channels at 2 ohms and get 300 rms each, or wire them im parallel at 4 ohms and split the 600x1? seems like it'd be the same to me if these are plausable setups..
      One way you can do it is wire each sub in parallel making it 2ohm and having it one sub per channel. so it'll get 300 watts rms. This is the route i would take.

Your second choice is wiring each sub parallel like above then wiring the both subs together in series leaving it at 4ohm. You would bridge the amp for this leaving you with 300 watts rms. So it's pretty much the same

Comment

so is one of those options better than the other? would it be easier on the amp to run it in two channel mode rather than bridge it?

Comment

yea Blk EX Coupe..i have the same question..

Will the amp stress more in bridge or 2-channel

Last question, which method is better and why?

Comment

anyone?

Comment

whats ur amp stable at?

Comment

its stable down to 2 ohms.

300x2 rms @ 2 ohms
                or
                600x1 rms bridged @ 4 ohms

so its the same power.. is one way any better than the other?

Comment

Originally posted by djestouff
                  its stable down to 2 ohms.

300x2 rms @ 2 ohms
                  or
                  600x1 rms bridged @ 4 ohms

so its the same power.. is one way any better than the other?
                  I don't know if ones better then the other. i just prefer doing the 300x2@2ohms because if i wired both of them together and one blows...im kinda screwed. but if its 2 channel then when one blows the other will still work

Comment

providing that each sub is in a separate chamber, ran off 2 channels. If one blows, the other will still work. IF you have them in the same chamber, then when one blows, it won't work as well. You'll basically have a passive radiator as your blown sub. lol

Doesn't matter how you wire it. You're going to send each sub the same amount of power anyways. Close your eyes and pick a method.

Comment

yeah actually the box i have has seperate chambers for the subs so i suppose i'll run them seperately.
                      Last edited by djestouff; 03-07-2004, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X