What's up with the enclosure design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with the enclosure design?

Anyone know why there is this funky shaped contraption for the speaker enclosure?

Image part #'s 16 & 18 (left & right).
    It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

because those are separetly amplified speakers(each front speaker has its own amp. im not sure which factory option it is but i wish i had those kind!)the enclosure part at the back of it is the miniature amp part!
    10th anniversary crew #1

Comment

Originally posted by 93 10th anniv.
      because those are separetly amplified speakers. the enclosure part at the back of it is a miniature amp!
      There's an amp inside of the enclosure?
      It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

yup at least thats how a nissan maxima i saw had those big enclosuers like that were amps
        10th anniversary crew #1

Comment

i dont think theres an amp for the accords, unless you get the bose system, optional on SEs and no you dont wish you had them, sucky
          FA1

Comment

Thats the Speaker pod thats standard on the EX model. It has the 5" speakers in them and when most people change speakers they user the DX or LX speaker pods because it uses 6.5 inch speakers. And there is no amp inside the encloure its just a seperate chamber to make the 5" speaker sound better.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
              Thats the Speaker pod thats standard on the EX model. It has the 5" speakers in them and when most people change speakers they user the DX or LX speaker pods because it uses 6.5 inch speakers. And there is no amp inside the encloure its just a seperate chamber to make the 5" speaker sound better.
              Well said. The front uses the pods. I took mine out when i installed new 5 1/2 speakers in the front I just tabed into the metal with self tapping screws.
              "form follows function."
              Louis Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by 93 10th anniv.
                because those are separetly amplified speakers
                False.

It is a ducted enclosure.
                2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

I am going to have to replace the factory speakers because the AMP I am going to install will blow them right out. Have you guys had better results modifying the 5.25" hole, using the LX enclosure, or some other way? If it is relevant the speakers I am buying are the Infinity Kappa 63.7i

Comment

The EX pod is worthless to manipulate because when you get the diameter the size that you want then you might have issues with the depth. And I do believe that most speakers these days are designed to work better in free air rather than an enclosure like the ex pod. When I took out my EX pods I just made a plate out of MDF and cut out the opening for my speaker and then screw the plate in the holes that the stock speaker pods were in.

And if you are going to use the LX speaker pods you most likely will have to cut the back off of the pod to clear the new speaker.

Comment

The EX pods are flippin useless if you want bass from yer fronts. One of these days I'm gonna make enclosures for the 7's I put there, and toss my subs.

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

so the dx lx front speakers pods are made to fit 6.5 speakers correct? or do u have to modify them? im gonna be ordering all new speakers here soon and an amp to run them all, and i really dont wanna put the 4 inch speakers or wutever sixe the ex pods are up front because u cant run as much power through them?
                        are my deductions correct, and if so who wants to sell me sum dx/lx front door speaker pods?

My Members Ride Thread
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Originally posted by mcdizzle
                          so the dx lx front speakers pods are made to fit 6.5 speakers correct? or do u have to modify them? im gonna be ordering all new speakers here soon and an amp to run them all, and i really dont wanna put the 4 inch speakers or wutever sixe the ex pods are up front because u cant run as much power through them?
                          are my deductions correct, and if so who wants to sell me sum dx/lx front door speaker pods?
                          Yes, your correct. I don't know why the premium trim levels would get the smaller speakers and the base and basic trim level would get the bigger one. I don't know that all 6.5" speakers fit the DX/LX enclosure. Usually the magnet is too deep for the pod. Others have recommended making a spacer ring out of MDF.

Comment

I'll have to disagree with the factory pods sounding "not good" I just got done replacing my head unit to the original Bose cassette ($50) and the rear 6x9s with new Bose replacements ($110) (for those who dont know, I own an SE). I have never heard a better sounding system in any car (without some sort of sub) that was stock. Albeit, yes it wasn't in all accords, but for the people who say "All highs, no lows.. Bose" and that "Bose sucks" haven't heard what the system can truly do with it's engineering.

Sure it's not going to compete with a very well done aftermarket system, not alot of stock, or premium sound systems will.

And to re-iterate the fact... the front door pods are NOT amplified. I would also like to add that the front speakers put out a nice amount of bass for being a 4" speaker. I haven't even hooked up the cd changer yet, and am very excited to. I've bought a couple tapes just to test it out and so far I'm more than impressed with the soundstaging of music and the clarity of instruments and vocals.

This is all just my own opinion, but I'm pretty damn picky about how my audio sounds, car or not, and I think if anyone heard it would agree.. for stock it's good.

I'm done now, go on with your regularly scheduled program.

-tweakit
                            My Ride

Comment

Working...
                            X