Better Sound Quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Sound Quality?

Ok I have a problem I just brought a new JVC AR960 headunit pictured below, which is great as it has many features such as sirius satellite radio, mp3 playback, sd card slot etc. But the only problem is the sound quality is not what I expected. No matter how much I change the equalizer settings it just doesnt sound right as it will play R&B music good, but Hip hop will just sound sloppy. I was wondering if I brought an amp for the speakers will that help, or do I need a seprate equalizer or something.

my set up is:

Pioneer 4 way's in the rear
    Alpine Type S 2 way's in the front
    MTX 10" sledge hammer subwoofer

Last edited by TDUBZ; 01-15-2006, 07:36 PM.
    92 accord lx sedan

Phantom Grey Crew #6
    MY ACCORD

How are you feeding the sub?
    Is there a crossover involved at all?
    Last edited by SteveB; 01-15-2006, 03:48 PM.
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

what do you mean by not sounding right?

What is the problem? Speaker sounding bad or subwoofer? In what ways does it sound bad?

Comment

if the 2-ways are just powered off the HU, then they arent receiving the nominal wattage...you are underpowering them and they arent playing to their full potential..and they arent getting loud and clear enough to hear over the lower frequencies that the sub belts out...does your music feel murky? like you cant really hear the voices and percussion that well? if so, that is prolly ur problem
        get an amp for your speakers

Comment

Once you explain in detail what your music sounds like I can help... so far you have to answer all of the questions presented to you in this thread...

Are you using an Xover?

Running anything off the HU?

What equipment?

How did it sound before you used the new HU?
          My CB7

Comment

No im not using a crossover for the subwoofer, the sub is connected to the amp which is connected to the RCA outputs on the headunit

As far as the sound quality before this headunit I had an Aiwa and it sounded wonderful but I wanted something new. But with this headunit the sound kind of sounds mushy, and murky like mondojackal said sort of like the sound is being distorted like its underpowered and not playing to the highest it probaly could.
            92 accord lx sedan

Phantom Grey Crew #6
            MY ACCORD

Comment

Originally posted by TDUBZ
              No im not using a crossover for the subwoofer, the sub is connected to the amp which is connected to the RCA outputs on the headunit

As far as the sound quality before this headunit I had an Aiwa and it sounded wonderful but I wanted something new. But with this headunit the sound kind of sounds mushy, and murky like mondojackal said sort of like the sound is being distorted like its underpowered and not playing to the highest it probaly could.
              Then its just that you dont like your new HU, if it hasnt been 30 days i'd go back and pick something you like more.
              My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

Then its just that you dont like your new HU, if it hasnt been 30 days i'd go back and pick something you like more.
                I like the headunit it's just that the sound is lacking, and is not as clear as I want it to be.
                92 accord lx sedan

Phantom Grey Crew #6
                MY ACCORD

Comment

I like the headunit it's just that the sound is lacking, and is not as clear as I want it to be.
                  So basically your HU is what is going to produce the clear sound that you want, you could get an EQ but in the end it can only make so much of a difference, there is a pretty good difference in sound quality when it comes to HU I had a kenwood and it was ok, then I put in my alpine and it completely changed the way I was hearing my music. Just my .02
                  My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

looks like a cheap deck.

Comment

Well, that'll sound like hell.
                      Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.

Comment

Well, that'll sound like hell.
                        You need a crossover when connecting a sub to the amp?
                        92 accord lx sedan

Phantom Grey Crew #6
                        MY ACCORD

Comment

You need a crossover when connecting a sub to the amp?
                          Subs aren't designed to reproduce the full frequency range, yet that is what you are forcing it to do.
                          Please stop.

Comment

Subs aren't designed to reproduce the full frequency range, yet that is what you are forcing it to do.
                            nah the sub is not the problem everything is fine with the sub it has a LPF on the amp, and a equalizer setting on the radio to cut off frequencies from either 55hz, 85hz, or 112hz. The problem is the speakers inside the car not sounding as clear as they could. I think it has a problem to do with the built in amp on the radio.
                            92 accord lx sedan

Phantom Grey Crew #6
                            MY ACCORD

Comment

I think jvc hu's are just like that, or maybe i just had bad experiences with em
                              Last edited by sonikaccord; 01-15-2006, 08:32 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                              X