10 vs 12 inch subs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 vs 12 inch subs?

I was wondering what difference I will notice between identical models of 10 and 12 inch subs. I know the 12 will play lower notes a little louder and cleaner, but what about other differences, like overall crispness and responsiveness?

A 10 will probably sound cleaner, and have quicker responses. But you should also take into consideration what kind of enclosure the sub is in. Also different brands have different qualities so if you got a shitty 10 then a good 12 would sound better.
    Magnaflow exhaust for cb7's for sale

Comment

Between the same brand and model, the difference between a 10 and a 12 would be a twelve playing a bit deeper, a bit louder, with the 10 being a bit more responsive. A 12 will usually require a bigger enclosure, sealed or ported. But, once you get em in your car, you probably couldn't really tell the difference. you really can't lose with either size. Just buy what fits your budget and space.

Comment

i'd say that there is a respectable difference between a 10 and a 12. And if you really wanna narrow it down to specifics. You can even pick a sub judging from the type of music you listen to

10inch: the main two characteristics are that 10s are extremely responsive and punchy. They are able to pound out high and mid bass notes better then a 12. Id recommend a 10 if you listen to rock and alternative and stuff like that. Mind my friend has a 10 and listens to hip hop and dance and it sounds good.

12inch: Is your basic all around sub. it hits your highs mids and lows with general quality and is your most common sub because itll sound good with ne thing.

After hearing my friends 10inch type x (alpine) im definetely leaning towards possibly throwing in a 10 but im still a big fan of shacking stuff with a 15
        I look...You look
        I rev...You rev
        I win...You lose

vspooled

Comment

If it helps any, I prefer SQ over SPL, and the sub would go in a sealed box (1 cubic ft or so). I listen to mostly rock (punk, classic rock, and alternative mainly), with some Dave Matthews thrown in for good measure. Specifically, I'm looking into either a Boston G2 12" or 10", with dual voice coils either way (G212-44 or G210-44). I'd be amping it with an Alpine MRD-M300 (300W RMS, 600W peak at 2ohm, 14.4V).
          Last edited by cjv998; 12-01-2005, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I've got a friend with the 10inch version of what your looking and i like the sound i'd recommend it for sure
            I look...You look
            I rev...You rev
            I win...You lose

vspooled

Comment

If sound quality is your game, I would recommend the Image Dynamics IDMAX10D2/D4 V.3. I recently sat in a car that had one 10, with 300 watts or so. Wow. It sounded great. They are reasonabley priced as well. Can't lose with any Image Dynamic products.

Comment

ok...what the guys above said is pretty accurate...
                10's are lighter, therefore they respond more quickly...(punchy in some's vocabulary)...and they are cheaper, require smaller enclosures (normally, and all of this is talking about the same brand and type of sub, the only difference being the size)
                while 12s generally respond with lower frequencies, and hit lower, usually used for heavy bass beats...stuff like rap, and some hip-hop, depends on your taste

personally, i have two kicker s12c solobarics, and they are great for any kind of music that i listen to, they respond quickly enough, and they get very low...
                just don't get the square kickers if you want sq...mine are round...

personally, i recommend going to www.reaudio.com

the XXX sub is great for SQ and SPL...fantastic sub for the cost...but thats a pretty steep budget, and i bet that you are lookin for something cheaper

we need to know:
                1- what you listen to
                2- how much money you have
                3- what you want out of your system

Comment

Go Big

I have two Stroker 18's in my cb7 and its loud ass fuck and sounds great down low and I still have all my trunk space Ill post pics later oh and I can turn a 145on the termpro meter
                  Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

Originally posted by 1991acclude
                    I have two Stroker 18's in my cb7 and its loud ass fuck and sounds great down low and I still have all my trunk space Ill post pics later oh and I can turn a 145on the termpro meter
                    cerwin vega's? are they the older ones?

Comment

I've never really heard a Boston acousitcs sub myself. But I'm also inexperienced in the speaker department. I do, however, know what sounds good. The above points about the 10 in. vs. 12 in debate is exactly what I was going to say, so there's no point in repeating it. I'd look into maybe getting a Polk MOMO sub. Polk always makes quality equipment. On the other hand I'm looking into getting one 12" Alpine Type R for my car. It sounds like my taste in music is very similar to yours, so the Type R would definitely do. Besides, then you can say that at least part of your car is Type R!
                      Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                      D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                      ┴─┴
                      ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

I'll be the devil's advocate and say 10s aren't quicker than 12s.

I would explain, but no one really cares.

Comment

Originally posted by GSteg

I will agree with you. More than size..the size/material of magnet, coupled with the size/material of the voice coil, design of the spyder, and the weight/rigidity of the cone make up the sound of a sub. I have heard a 15" that had the "speed" of an 8". Go to a stereo shop, go to a sound-off. Try to sit in as many cars as you can and see what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                            ok...what the guys above said is pretty accurate...
                            10's are lighter, therefore they respond more quickly...(punchy in some's vocabulary)...and they are cheaper, require smaller enclosures (normally, and all of this is talking about the same brand and type of sub, the only difference being the size)
                            while 12s generally respond with lower frequencies, and hit lower, usually used for heavy bass beats...stuff like rap, and some hip-hop, depends on your taste

personally, i have two kicker s12c solobarics, and they are great for any kind of music that i listen to, they respond quickly enough, and they get very low...
                            just don't get the square kickers if you want sq...mine are round...

personally, i recommend going to www.reaudio.com

the XXX sub is great for SQ and SPL...fantastic sub for the cost...but thats a pretty steep budget, and i bet that you are lookin for something cheaper

we need to know:
                            1- what you listen to
                            2- how much money you have
                            3- what you want out of your system

i agree with him ^^^^^^^ yea RE is quite expensive lol
                            My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by GSteg

true...a light-coned 15 with a stronger magnet structure could move that lighter cone faster than a havily-coned 12 or even a 10....it just all depends....but yeah...talking the same kind of sub, the chances of that happening are slim to none..

Comment

Working...
                              X