Is this a good idea...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a good idea...?

Is it safe to connect the ignition power wire to the constant power wire, I know bout having to turn the deck on and off manually.

My deck kicks off randomly at times, its a wire on the drivers side kick panel. with a very large white thick one with a black stripe and its with two or three others one's yellow and i forget the other. its in a little plug harness. and everytime its moved, we hit a bump, or even randomly, the deck kicks off with a clicking noise comming from the dash.

so can i fix it by using the constant power? or what is this problem?

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

If you use the constant wire your battery will constantly drain.

Comment

Originally posted by haibane
      If you use the constant wire your battery will constantly drain.
      but the radio isnt going to be constantly on

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7
        but the radio isnt going to be constantly on
        Actually it will... If the battery line is connected...

Comment

Actually it will... If the battery line is connected...
          do you know by chance what wire im talking about?

its a thick white wire with a black stripe, its connected to a connector along with a solid white and solid yellow. the connector is brown and is a rectangle shape, not square. it has slots for more wires but it only has those three wires.

its plugged into the driver side kicks panel.

do you any any one else knows?!

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7
            do you know by chance what wire im talking about?

its a thick white wire with a black stripe, its connected to a connector along with a solid white and solid yellow. the connector is brown and is a rectangle shape, not square. it has slots for more wires but it only has those three wires.

its plugged into the driver side kicks panel.

do you any any one else knows?!
            If it is connected to your battery... your battery will eventually die. I didn't memorize all the different cars and their color code wires. Sorry

Comment

Eh. as long as the deck isn't on, then it's not going to use the battery much (just enough for memory; like preset buttons and clock). I use to do that in my dad's old car (ignition wire from the car fried)

Comment

If it is connected to your battery... your battery will eventually die. I didn't memorize all the different cars and their color code wires. Sorry
                thats true, eventually.
                but "eventually" in this case means weeks. with this radio, there would most likely be no excess parasitic drain if you do that, as long as the radio is turned off.

and not memorizing all the colors for different cars is one thing, but this whole forum is dedicated to one car only. LOL.

i had a problem just like this in my CB7, and it would go off, and come back on if i kicked the kick panel. i found out it was just a loose connector when i actually payed attention. i pushed it back in, it clicked, and i never had the problem again. you will probably have the problem even if you connect the two wires if this is the problem because they probably go through the same connector.

good luck.
                The CB7 Timeline

Comment

The thick white one (I want to say 10 or 12 guage) is a constant power. I'd do what 92accordexpower said. Check everything over to see if you have a loose connection. That is mostly likely your problem.

Take a flashlight, spend some time under the dash, and follow wires and check connections. I wouldn't really worry about a short because if you did indeed have one, you'd be blowing fuses more then a whore on the corner blowing guys.

Let us know

Comment

look go buy some wire from wal mart or radio shak or whatever your pref. take the wire splice your constant and connect. then run the other end of the wire to your fuse box. connect the other end to ONLY one end of your windshield wiper fuse. reconnect the fuse and enjoy. this will work because i have done this on 3 vehicles i've had and all were diff makes including my cb7 now.
                    Dont drive faster than your gaurdian angel can fly

Comment

run the head unit off of constant 12v supply..as long as you turn it off, you should be good...

Comment

Originally posted by mickey_601
                        look go buy some wire from wal mart or radio shak or whatever your pref. take the wire splice your constant and connect. then run the other end of the wire to your fuse box. connect the other end to ONLY one end of your windshield wiper fuse. reconnect the fuse and enjoy. this will work because i have done this on 3 vehicles i've had and all were diff makes including my cb7 now.

Sorry, but that's hack job style. Even if the fuse blows, your still getting power to the radio.

Your best bet when adding any aftermarket electrical accessory is to run it on it's own connection with a fuse coming right off the battery. That's the best way to protect your car if something were to go wrong and start burning up your car.

Comment

Working...
                        X