What size capacitor do i need??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size capacitor do i need??

hey guys i have a 920 watt kenwood amp and a 1800 watt power acoustic fubar. they go together very well my only problem is at nigh when i have it turned up a bit the lights dim. i just dont want to burn out my alternator. so does anyone know what size capacitor would be best for this application. i cant have my headlights dimming. my interior lights dim to. all of the lights do for that matter i know its becuase the subs draining the power. when the base hits the lights dim....etc. info please. so what size farad cap.? thanks.

Originally posted by 91accord4door
    hey guys i have a 920 watt kenwood amp and a 1800 watt power acoustic fubar. they go together very well my only problem is at nigh when i have it turned up a bit the lights dim. i just dont want to burn out my alternator. so does anyone know what size capacitor would be best for this application. i cant have my headlights dimming. my interior lights dim to. all of the lights do for that matter i know its becuase the subs draining the power. when the base hits the lights dim....etc. info please. so what size farad cap.? thanks.

i think its 1 farard for every 1000 watts... someone correct me if i'm wrong

Comment

kenwood? hehehe....just put a 1 farad cap i think you will be fine.

might as well buy the amp kit cause it comes with a distribution block etc
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord
        i think its 1 farard for every 1000 watts... someone correct me if i'm wrong
        thanks man good to know. ill see what others say. thats helpful if correct though. and this will stop my lights from dimming?

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
          kenwood? hehehe....just put a 1 farad cap i think you will be fine.

might as well buy the amp kit cause it comes with a distribution block etc
          whats wrong with kenwood? haven loved it since i got it. not one problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door
            thanks man good to know. ill see what others say. thats helpful if correct though. and this will stop my lights from dimming?

it should... i was talking to an audio expert that came to my work one day... and he said the best way to stop dimming of lights was to upgrade your alternator to a higher output one... but thats what he told me i am by no means an expert in audio

Comment

a capacitor still wont stop your lights fromt diming. i have a 2 farad cap on my single 1600 watt amp, and my head lights and dash lights still dim. look into getting a higher output alternator. get one off ebay u can find one for about 100 bux shipped. speaking of that, i still havent upgraded mine.

My Members Ride Thread
              Originally posted by deevergote
              You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord
                it should... i was talking to an audio expert that came to my work one day... and he said the best way to stop dimming of lights was to upgrade your alternator to a higher output one... but thats what he told me i am by no means an expert in audio
                damn he beat me to it

My Members Ride Thread
                Originally posted by deevergote
                You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Yes its one farad for every 1000 watts. Upgrade the ground wires first and then the alternator.

Comment

will do thanks guys. off to ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
                      Yes its one farad for every 1000 watts. Upgrade the ground wires first and then the alternator.

kind of an obvious thing but sometimes it needs to be pointed out the ground wire should be equal size to the power wire...

Comment

I need a High output alternator also and Well tonight I have been looking at some. Whats a good rating one to get for a 1k watts RMS system with NO cap?
                        And Alternators from 90 to 97 are they the same? or are the only ones the same are the ones from 90 to 95?

Comment

i hope your running ot gauge.!
                          1 farad / 1000

i saw some h/o alternators on e-bay for 200 + i was thinking of just getting it rewound..but im unsure if thats the way to go..

Comment

im currently using 4 guage power wire.

Comment

i think you need something a bit thicker than that for your application!!! at least 2 or 1...
                              i know bass sounds good in smaller cars like teh civic..you got a hatch ? man i had a buddy with 2 punch 1 entry level subs..and they sounded dope..in his integra!
                              Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 10-26-2005, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X