Focal Utopias....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focal Utopias....

anybody ever heard these in a car???...im thinking about getting a pair..and pushing it with a 125 / channel PPI or 160 / channel alphasonic...
    this is one piece of audio equipment i really want...to get!!! ... 1,000 + for a new pair...the only thing i can think competes are the the upper end MB quarts..

some say these speakers are to loud and expensive..and to just go with the focal k2's....
    Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 10-26-2005, 07:16 PM.

Those are known as some of the best speakers out...bottom line. The Utopia line is suppose to have the flattest, cleanest sound that Focal makes. Focal is a high end speaker company to begin with and is typically chosen only by true audiophiles. I was actually looking at their Utopia line at one point and actually heard them. SQ is very very clean but for the money, it wasn't worth it to me. If I was going to compete that would be one thing or if I was still sponsored. Not aware of the other ones you mentioned. I am only aware of the Utopia line. Good luck on your choice.
    Last edited by H23Accord; 10-26-2005, 08:44 PM.
    "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

Originally posted by H23Accord
      Those are known as some of the best speakers out...bottom line. The Utopia line is suppose to have the flattest, cleanest sound that Focal makes. Focal is a high end speaker company to begin with and is typically chosen only by true audiophiles. I was actually looking at their Utopia line at one point and actually heard them. SQ is very very clean but for the money, it wasn't worth it to me. If I was going to compete that would be one thing or if I was still sponsored. Not aware of the other ones you mentioned. I am only aware of the Utopia line. Good luck on your choice.
      hehe...im glad someone knows about focal on here..

ok focal access < i have these in my ride now..not bad>
      ...focal polyglass <got them for my rear 6 /9'>
      ...focal k2's <they are yellow >
      ....focal utopias... <heaven..these are what i dream about>

i have been neglecting MB quarts..i remember those were the baddest set of speakers i ever had..

Comment

i don't see how you would consider focal utopia's for your speakers, but choose rotas for wheels... if you're considering the focal utopia's, then something's telling you to go for quality, but then you skimp out on the wheels. but i digress.

as h23accord said, they're great sounding speakers (some say near perfect sq), but of course the cost is quite expensive. the question at the end of the day becomes, is your audio set up tuned to perfection, to the point that the focal utopia's will be the icing on the cake? or is your set up so so, leaves a lot to be desired/has a lot of room for improvement?

if it's not perfect, it would seem to me that perhaps for a better price, you could get a speaker that's going to sound just as good. because to me, if your set up's not perfect, you're wasting money on the high end speakers. for example, slapping a set of focal utopia's in with an otherwise stock stereo system would be a waste of money, to me, in that you're not going to get the sq you're looking for. not saying that you're system is stock, but it better be damn near perfect to justify 1,000 dollars for set of speakers... especially given that you won't spend 1,000 dollars for a set of wheels.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el
          i don't see how you would consider focal utopia's for your speakers, but choose rotas for wheels... if you're considering the focal utopia's, then something's telling you to go for quality, but then you skimp out on the wheels. but i digress.

as h23accord said, they're great sounding speakers (some say near perfect sq), but of course the cost is quite expensive. the question at the end of the day becomes, is your audio set up tuned to perfection, to the point that the focal utopia's will be the icing on the cake? or is your set up so so, leaves a lot to be desired/has a lot of room for improvement?

if it's not perfect, it would seem to me that perhaps for a better price, you could get a speaker that's going to sound just as good. because to me, if your set up's not perfect, you're wasting money on the high end speakers. for example, slapping a set of focal utopia's in with an otherwise stock stereo system would be a waste of money, to me, in that you're not going to get the sq you're looking for. not saying that you're system is stock, but it better be damn near perfect to justify 1,000 dollars for set of speakers... especially given that you won't spend 1,000 dollars for a set of wheels.
          hehe....im going for the rota'z slipstreams cuz they are lightweight..whats so wrong with slipstreams ????? i think sports bronze look tight...also i would rather spend 1,000 on speakers than a set of rims...

///this is my audio ....
          well i have an alpine 9815 deck <i personolize!!>
          with focal access kickpanels <>
          fujitsu ten 75 w rms .. 4 channel amp <
          rear fill focal polyglass 6 x 9's
          dynamatted trunk...
          cascade audio layered doors...
          alpine type r 12''
          rock fosgate 800 x 2.
          not a bad setup!
          // plans:
          -im gonna redo my focal access..and put them in real airtight kickpanels..not the ones i currently have which are from car domain...
          -bass link II is gonna be my new sub...with a 1/2 farad cap
          -im gonna strip out the carpet..and dynamatt with level one dynamatt..not extreme...
          -get a quieter muffler...
          -ok for the icing on the cake...focal utopias 6 1/2 3 way component sets...im gonna take out my rear fills because i kinda agree with -the soundstaging concept--pushed my a PPI 125 w / channel amp or alphansonik
          ///Conclusion:
          so pretty much..a quiet interior because of the dynamatt..
          tight bass not overpowering from the infinity bass link II
          and the heaven to your ears Focal utopia 3 ways..in custom kick panel pushed with 120 + / channel amp

i may upgrade to a single 10'' jl w7 if im not satisfied with the bass link II

??do you see any flaws in this setup?...i think this is gonna be SQ heaven..IMO...
          Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 10-26-2005, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
            hehe....im going for the rota'z slipstreams cuz they are lightweight..whats so wrong with slipstreams ????? i think sports bronze look tight...also i would rather spend 1,000 on speakers than a set of rims...
            you can spend under 1000 and get wheels that are lightweight.
            you can spend under 1000 and get higher quality wheels than a set of rotas.
            plenty of people have rota slipstreams, so it's definitely not unique.

if you are considering a pair of focal utopia's, obviously you have an eye for quality. why that eye for quality wouldn't extend to the entire car is beyond me. it would seem to me that if you want quality on the inside, you'd get quality on the outside. if anything, i'd think you'd want the most quality on your wheels and tires, since if you're in the car, you're using them.

///this is my audio ....
            well i have an alpine 9815 deck <i personolize!!>
            with focal access kickpanels <>
            fujitsu ten 75 w rms .. 4 channel amp <
            rear fill focal polyglass 6 x 9's
            dynamatted trunk...
            cascade audio layered doors...
            alpine type r 12''
            rock fosgate 800 x 2.
            not a bad setup!
            // plans:
            -im gonna redo my focal access..and put them in real airtight kickpanels..not the ones i currently have which are from car domain...
            -bass link II is gonna be my new sub...with a 1/2 farad cap
            -im gonna strip out the carpet..and dynamatt with level one dynamatt..not extreme...
            -get a quieter muffler...
            -ok for the icing on the cake...focal utopias 6 1/2 3 way component sets...im gonna take out my rear fills because i kinda agree with -the soundstaging concept--pushed my a PPI 125 w / channel amp or alphansonik
            ///Conclusion:
            so pretty much..a quiet interior because of the dynamatt..
            tight bass not overpowering from the infinity bass link II
            and the heaven to your ears Focal utopia 3 ways..in custom kick panel pushed with 120 + / channel amp

i may upgrade to a single 10'' jl w7 if im not satisfied with the bass link II

??do you see any flaws in this setup?...i think this is gonna be SQ heaven..IMO...
            why are you going to redo your kick panels with your current speakers, only to replace the speakers? sounds like you're doing the job twice. why not just do it once by waiting on the speakers, then redoing the enclosures around the new speakers?

Comment

well im not about to jump out and buy the focal utopias right away...im working on other parts of my car right now such as auto to manny swap...turbo n of course the rota'z!!!

i really think the rota'z are nice looking!

when i first bought my accord..my main concern was SQ..Focal Utopias are something i want...but will probably be next year sometime..depending on my job at the time..so to get me buy im gonna make my Focal Accesses air tight kickpanels..not open kick panels like they are now..!! i dont think it will cost that much to do put the access's in fiberglass.......i would have to redo the utopias..because they are gonna be a 3 way setup....one bass...one mid...and one dope ass tweeter!!

maybe when i have a higher paying job ill get some volks 3 way rims..but seriously i think the rota slipstreams are pretty dope rims!! maybe you know something i dont about them....definitely i think my sound was my 1st priority when i bought my car....

i would have no shame if i had focal utopias..and 16/7 rota slipstreams..that would be an awesome setup imo!! just my style mang.....

Comment

Uncle_EL, not everyone's priority list is like yours. Just because you pay a lot for one thing doesn't mean you have to pay a lot for another.

The same can be said for someone who spends $2000 on rims. Someone could ask "Why do you have $2000 to spend on nice rims, but have X amount to buy an old honda accord?"

I'm sure you know that's not right. Buying an expenstive TV does not mean you have to buy an expensive home audio system. And it certainly does not mean you have to buy very expensive wirings either.

Comment

93EXaesthetic,

Are you a fan of bright tweeters?

From observation with my own ears and through other people's commentaries, the TN-52 tweeters, which belongs to the Utopia line, are not the favorite among focal tweeters. You see recommendations of the polykevlar series (especially the k2p) over the utopia because of the TN-45 tweeters and the close performance of the midrange drivers. The TN-45 tweeters are smoother and more pleasing to the ear. Unless you get some sort of equalizer, the TN-45 are better fit for drop-in setups. I would venture to say the polykevlar line is at least 90% of what the Utopia is, but for a lot less.

The MB quart QSD-series are also nice. Again, the tweeters are not a favorite due to the metallic sound of the tweeters. This is typical in a lot of metal dome tweeters. Midrange is nice, but midbass can lack severely if not done right. Often time, the midbass will sound rather thin. Not very well round and full bodied, just a thump.

It depends on what you like actually. There are no best speakers, but there are great speakers. Have you tried speakers that are transparent and airy in sound versus to sounds with warmth (ie focal, vifa, etc). I'm guessing you are limited to what's out there as far as higher end speaker. I know quite a few sets out there (even 2-ways) that are more detailed, smoother, and more neutral than the Focal Utopia 3-way.

Comment

when i first bought my accord..my main concern was SQ..Focal Utopias are something i want...but will probably be next year sometime..depending on my job at the time..so to get me buy im gonna make my Focal Accesses air tight kickpanels..not open kick panels like they are now..!! i dont think it will cost that much to do put the access's in fiberglass.......i would have to redo the utopias..because they are gonna be a 3 way setup....one bass...one mid...and one dope ass tweeter!!
                    you're still talking about wasting time and money. you're going to spend the time and money to put your current speakers in a new enclosure... only to get new speakers and do it again. just wait and save that time and money. especially considering that you're also talking about doing a transmission swap, a turbo, and new wheels/tires. spread yourself too thin, and nothing comes out right.

Originally posted by GSteg
                    Uncle_EL, not everyone's priority list is like yours. Just because you pay a lot for one thing doesn't mean you have to pay a lot for another.

The same can be said for someone who spends $2000 on rims. Someone could ask "Why do you have $2000 to spend on nice rims, but have X amount to buy an old honda accord?"

I'm sure you know that's not right. Buying an expenstive TV does not mean you have to buy an expensive home audio system. And it certainly does not mean you have to buy very expensive wirings either.
                    1. you're misinterpreting what i wrote, as i never said he or anyone else should pay a lot for rims. i'm just saying you can get a higher quality wheel that's just as light as the rota, for the same price.

2. focal utopias are regarded in many circles as some of the best speakers out there. it makes absolutely no sense to have a half assed system that is not capable of using them appropriately. if you have a low quality audio equipment, again my example of the stock system, it would make no sense to use these speakers. it makes no sense to spend 1,000 on speakers, but spend 200 on the rest of the system. that's not what 93exeaesthetic is doing, but people who read this thread need to know that high end speakers are nothing without a good sytem powering them.

3. i'm taking this thread by 93exaesthetic in conjunction with his other threads about wheels/tires, and suspension... i know that he has an eye/ear for good stuff when it comes to the audio arena, and i'm trying to make sure he knows all of his options in the other areas. sometimes people will spend a lot in one place because they are comfortable in that area... but they'll skimp out in another because they don't know, or they'll go with a particular brand/item because they don't know and some salesperson pushes it on them. again, i'm not saying he shouldn't get rotas, i'm just letting him know that there are other options for the same price. something can be quality without having to spend an arm and a leg for it. it's just that sometimes someone has to let you know that option is available.

Comment

It's personal preference. If he likes the rotas, then there should be no obligations against it. Unless the rims looks exactly like the rotas, cost the same, and is higher quality, I think his choice of rotas is fine. If he already bought rims, then it's too late to tell him there are other rims. I dont think the topic of rim choice should be pushed further if he already bought them. Rotas aren't bad, so it isn't like he is buying very crappy rims. There is a difference between good price and good value. Not everyone prefers the better value, just based on preference.

I would say getting those focal speakers, plus putting in an additional $800 (amp/sub/headunit) would be suffice for great sound.

Comment

Quality sound reproduction is my first love. But personally, I'd never put a true high-end system in an old Accord. The car is just too noisy to bother.

That's not to say that a nicer system wouldn't still sound better than a lesser system, but the law of diminishing returns swoops up very fast on revealing equipment when it's saddled in a noisy environment --- which our Accords are, relatively speaking.

Now, if we're talking about a much newer car that has significantly hushed levels inside (doesn't have to be a "luxury" car either) then count me in.
                        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
                          Quality sound reproduction is my first love. But personally, I'd never put a true high-end system in an old Accord. The car is just too noisy to bother.

That's not to say that a nicer system wouldn't still sound better than a lesser system, but the law of diminishing returns swoops up very fast on revealing equipment when it's saddled in a noisy environment --- which our Accords are, relatively speaking.

Now, if we're talking about a much newer car that has significantly hushed levels inside (doesn't have to be a "luxury" car either) then count me in.
                          i believe that he spoke about fully dynamatting his entire car...that would most likely cut down on acoustical noises...
                          also, i think that he should get the entire underside of his car rubber undercoated, now that would be a quiet ride, and would probably make less noise that a lexus...

as far as the focal utopias go, i personally would save some money and just get RE XXX subs that are renowned not only for SPL, but SQ as well...just my input, you might look into it....they are FANTASTIC subs....

Comment

Um mondo, he is talking about components for front stage, not subs! I like utopias, they sound very alive! If you spend as much time as I do listening to music, at levels that would normally distort sound with "cheap" speakers, I personally would like to own a set of them! Accords arent the worst for road noise, and I agree you could pretty easily change that for the better! seal off trunk completely and build small sealed enclosure in place of backseat, mat the side panels, heavier carpet etc.! I kinda cheaped out and bought rf punch comps, but I really want type rf! Power would be alright! I will prob go with two sets of comps up front! Then neither will have to try as hard for quality, and volume!

WaC!

Comment

Originally posted by westsideaccord
                              Um mondo, he is talking about components for front stage, not subs! I like utopias, they sound very alive! If you spend as much time as I do listening to music, at levels that would normally distort sound with "cheap" speakers, I personally would like to own a set of them! Accords arent the worst for road noise, and I agree you could pretty easily change that for the better! seal off trunk completely and build small sealed enclosure in place of backseat, mat the side panels, heavier carpet etc.! I kinda cheaped out and bought rf punch comps, but I really want type rf! Power would be alright! I will prob go with two sets of comps up front! Then neither will have to try as hard for quality, and volume!
                              ur right, i sed subs, i meant comps..
                              RE makes XXX comps as well, i just like XXX subs too much!
                              also, CDTAudio makes some absolutely great comps for the price!!
                              CDTAudio

Comment

Working...
                              X