Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help on wiring a 12 volt source(cigarette lighter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help on wiring a 12 volt source(cigarette lighter)

i know alot of people here knows how to run a new 12 volt source for a cigarette lighter, how do i run a new wire? what wire to use..and where do i find the 12 volt source to run a new wire for my new cigarette lighter? PLEASE HELP!
    "
    Fast and cheap won't be reliable
    Cheap and reliable won't be fast.
    And fast and reliable won't be cheap
    "
    ~EYCEE~

are you asking how to tap into a 12v power source to power the lighter?

Comment

Yea i'm having this same problem. I had no cig lighter with a harness with 4 wires in its place. I cut the harness off and found the positive wire and after hooking it up to a multimeter. Shit fried my cell phone charger and xm radio!

Comment

It all depends if you want to run it to a constant 12volt source or ignition source the best bet is to grab a multimeter and grab either wire from the cars ignition harness but be sure to fuse whatever wire you decide to go with.

Comment

If u want to run the cigarette lighter on a constant power, go to the main harness in the steering column and the wire is a solid white wire, and if you want to run the wire on an ignition source the wire color is black/yellow, or if u want to run it on an accessory the wire is white/black, and remember which ever wire you use, make sure you fuse it.

Comment

you can run it straight to your battery, both + and - terminals, and just put a simple switch on the power (+) side...thats what i did for my friend's LED windshield squirters..

Comment

Don't run it directly from your battery, that would be uneeded wires running under your hood

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                you can run it straight to your battery, both + and - terminals, and just put a simple switch on the power (+) side...thats what i did for my friend's LED windshield squirters..
                yea dont do that, do it the cleaner way.

under the column is the best FUSED! at least a 5 amp fuse or a 10 at most.

for the ground just chassis ground it.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                  yea dont do that, do it the cleaner way.

under the column is the best FUSED! at least a 5 amp fuse or a 10 at most.

for the ground just chassis ground it.
                  he already had his cb hooked up there, and its on his truck, so it just runs along the wiring harness and through the firewall grommet, once its cable-tied to the wiring harness, its no different from any other under-hood wiring..

Comment

whats the point when you can go inside the car and not have that stuff on the battery terminal?
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                    X