Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

subwoofer box mounting in trunk.. WHERE? HOW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

subwoofer box mounting in trunk.. WHERE? HOW?

so im wondering about mounting 80+ pounds of crap in my trunk (amp is mounted on sub box, its heavy) I would bolt to the wooder thing, but would that hold so much weight? do i need to go down the the metal in the truck? how did you peeps do it?

There's only 1 6" L-bracket on the left side and a small one on the back right side. Self tapping screws into the metal like fizzbob said. Box weighs ~50lbs and the sub is ~15. Never moves or bounces.

Comment

if the amp is mounted to the sub box as u said then don't mount the sub box anywhere. it shouldn;t move at all. just shove it in the rear of the trunk inbetween the strut towers. i have 2 sub boxes and i drive like a mad man and they don;t move all too much maybe an inch here and there on extreme turns.
      My members ride thread

Comment

haha but i drive like a MADDER man!!! i just dont want them budging, my ground wire already ripped out of the amp one time... what metal do i go into, i thought the gas tank was right under there?

Comment

The gas tank is actually under the back seat. Not sure how far back it goes, tho.
          To-Do List for Today
          Be Awesome

Comment

with short screws, you wont touch the gas tank regardless where it is!

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i prefer to use the search button instead of creating more and more threads
              Like OP said, how would i mount my sub?
              Its a 10" with the amp bolted onto the box.
              Unlike what some others have said, my sub likes to change its place ever so often and disconnect itself.
              This mainly happens when taking sharp turns and stuff haha

So yeah, can i just bolt it to the thing underneath the carpet???
              Thanks again guys
              ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

no one?
                ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

ghetto way- bungie cords
                  better way- L brackets
                  Blake.
                  1994 Accord Part out!
                  Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

so from the box to that piece under the carpet?
                    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

Originally posted by rave93 View Post
                      so from the box to that piece under the carpet?
                      for the L bracket? just mount it on side of box and use short self tapping screws and screw it in to the metal part of the floor
                      Blake.
                      1994 Accord Part out!
                      Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

Or, get a piece of plywood or MDF, screw your enclosure to that, then put the subwoofer in the enclosure.

I cut the board to fit between the trunk rails, screwed the boxes to that and installed my subs. They won't come out of the trunk unless you unscrew everything, and they haven't moved since I finished the job.

Comment

A very slick way to do it, to keep the box from sliding around is industrial velcro. Put the stiff side on the bottom of the box, and then place it where you want. It will grab onto the carpet and keep from sliding around...

Been There, Done That. No brackets/screws/bungee cords/rope/ or anything else visible...

Comment

I've used the hold downs off of jeep wranglers, the ones for the hood. Held great and made it easy to remove for those times at the track.

Comment

Custom Lowz idea sounds like a very good one. I screwed small rubber feet to the bottom of my box. They are super easy to find and most hardware stores sell them. The box really didn't move at all on the carpet but I screwed two L brackets into the semi-hard material that lines the sides of the trunk just so it would not budge. In my area I believe it is a law that you have to have your system bolted down because somehow somebody got hit in the head with their speaker box and killed (I have no idea how you could place it so this would happen) and that was my other reasoning for the L brackets. I have never heard of anyone ever getting a ticket since it is obviously not visible and most people probably wouldn't care but I just thought I would throw that in Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X