Fuse melted in amp....suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse melted in amp....suggestions?

Alright guys.. I have a question in regards to the amp in my car. I have a planet audio 600 watt, 2 chanel, amp. pushing a single kicker 12" sub. The other day my bass cut off and when I went to inspect, I saw the damn 30 amp fuse I had in the amp. had melted beyond belief and is actually stuck in there. What would cause the fuse to melt to the extremes that it did? I believe the sub I have is only rated at 300 watts max with a 150 watt RMS, so I'm not using an extremely large sub. I don't believe the fuse I have in there is too small becasue it has been working fine for 6 months now. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not an expert in the audio field, so please type slow (lol... ) Thanks in advance!!

Mark ... is there a way to *take out* the lil chassis, or whatever its called.. that holds the fuse?
    Some have lil rivets.. others might have a couple a phillips heads .. and others?

I read this yesterday .. and saw no response to it .. just tryin to help a brother out ..

G'luck Man
    Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Thanks man!! That is helpful...now what do you think caused the fuse to melt to that extreme in the first place?

Comment

umm wild guess .. but .. (30 amp fuse shoulda been enuff) but, will it take a higher rated one?
        Could/would that cause any damage ?

EDIT .. maybe something *shorted* .. in that case that fuse saved something somewhere ...
        try another 30 amp fuse .. but maybe run a test on the whole wiring before you do?

hmmm
        Tomi
        Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 07-04-2005, 05:08 PM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Something definately shorted in the amp. Check the ground from the amp first. It might have overheated also. But sounds like the amp has a problem. Probably need to call the manufacturer. You might not be able to "see" anyting even if you open its cover. And putting in a new fuse shouldn't help. Don't put in a higher rated fuse, that's for sure.
          And take a picture, I'm dying to see this.
          Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
          -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
          MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Originally posted by uslspct
            Something definately shorted in the amp. Check the ground from the amp first. It might have overheated also. But sounds like the amp has a problem. Probably need to call the manufacturer. You might not be able to "see" anyting even if you open its cover. And putting in a new fuse shouldn't help. Don't put in a higher rated fuse, that's for sure.
            And take a picture, I'm dying to see this.
            Sure thing...I'll get a pic today and post it up

Comment

Has nothing to do with anything grounding IN the amp. What happened was either the power cable got pinched somewhere and the fuse instead of blowing kept putting power through and melted it. Check all the way from the battery to the amp on the power wire to make sure your wire is free of any pinching, blocking or open jacket. Also you have a fuse/circuit breaker inline right after the battery on the power wire right?

Also noone tried to fix a broken fuse by using aluminum foil did they? I have seen this done MANY times which causes the same effect.
              "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
              sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
              Did work for: jhoff_cb7
              Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

Also DO NOT open it up. If the manufacturer is going to cover it under warranty or defect they will turn it out if the cover is removed.
                "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
                sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
                Did work for: jhoff_cb7
                Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

where is your amp mounted? Sometimes heat may do that. Amps have huges heatsinks that sometimes get pretty hot and can melt stuff. If the outer casing melted because of heat then it would have gotten to the point until it actually burn up. Although that is very rare. Fuses are supposed to burn immediately after a short happens, and unless you had a defective fuse (may be the case) I would say that just the sourrounding heat may have melted the casing until it blew. This is also true if the fuse is near the heatsinks.

Yeah take pics and let us know. You may also want to replace the fuse as long as the fuse holder is ok and see if it starts working again.

GL

X

Comment

why do u have a 600watt amp for a 150rms sub? are you planning on getting more subs or what?

Comment

well if u have a two channel amp hooked up to one sub only...offcoarse it will fry something up..ur lucky its only the fuse...
                      So SIIC...

SoCal OG bitches...

Comment

Originally posted by nghtrydr23
                        well if u have a two channel amp hooked up to one sub only...offcoarse it will fry something up..ur lucky its only the fuse...
                        please dont post in Audio/Electronics any more. -thanks

Comment

Thanks guys for all of the help! I took some pictures and will post them up tonight for you to view. There were a few questions of why I was running only one sub with the 600watt amp. Well, I had the sub first, then upgraded the amp when my other one went out. I don't really want to have more than one sub becasue I am trying to keep my car's weight balanced. What would be a good size/brand of sub that is proportional to use with my amp? Assuming it is still good.....

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa
                            please dont post in Audio/Electronics any more. -thanks
                            wuts wrong??? it happened to me so im just saying
                            So SIIC...

SoCal OG bitches...

Comment

he's probably bridging it is what chiovnidca is saying...

in for the money shots
                              Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Working...
                              X