Im a freaking n00b...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im a freaking n00b...

Alright, ive read all I can on dual voice coils and power and shit, but it isnt getting to my brain. Im looking to buy an Alpine Type R 12 inch DVC sub. This one I think I understand that for that sub I will need a 2 ohm stable amp, with about 1000watts at 2 ohms x1 amp? Yeah? Am I right? Im so fuckin confused... if anyone can reccomend an amp this will match that sub perfectly, then please do...

yea, run the voice coils in parallel and get an amp thats 2 ohm stable...

look for an amp that's about 450 watts RMS if you want to fully power it
    --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

yeah i think i just read that because each coil is 250 rms... so all i need is 500rms at 2 ohms

this amp is 280 x2 at 2 ohms, would it work? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rZIOxYR...10&I=026TS9802
      do i need any low pass filters or anything with this...
      Last edited by drucifer92; 06-13-2005, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Yes that amp will work, just dont go crazy with the gain setting.
        Did you already buy the speaker? Are you set on buying this amp? If you are using a sealed enclosure for this sub, I would suggest an amp with higher output (4-500W)

There's a built in low-pass filter if that's what yr asking...
        http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZF3ZZc6...display=XL#Tab

just set the x-over to lpf and I'd suggest setting the lpf (40-250hz) to a little over a quarter of the way. This will give you a low pass of around 100hz. So basically the sub will play frequencies ~100hz and below. If you have an aftermarket deck with have crossover features, set the high pass to around 100hz. This basically makes yr interior speakers play 100hz and above. Now there should be minimal cancellation and hopefully everything sounds like you expect it to.

I hope that helped.

Comment

That amp is already over the RMS for the sub, because its a dual voice coil and each coil is 250 watts RMS. That amp puts out 2x 280 rms @ 2 ohms (parallel) so if anything its too much. I think im going to go with this setup, if you have a better suggestion for about the same pricerange (400$) then lets see it

Comment

Originally posted by drucifer92
            That amp is already over the RMS for the sub, because its a dual voice coil and each coil is 250 watts RMS. That amp puts out 2x 280 rms @ 2 ohms (parallel) so if anything its too much. I think im going to go with this setup, if you have a better suggestion for about the same pricerange (400$) then lets see it
            Just trying to help out...
            If you run that amp bridged, its rated at 560 Watts (4 ohms) so my suggestion would be to get that sub in svc 4ohm (if yr set on that sub). Or a dvc 2-ohm rather than the d4 . Or a 1-2 ohm stable sub matched with a class-d amp (as steveB I believe alluded to). Dvc subs are great if you plan to buy more later on or need the wiring flexibility.

Depending on yr preference, you have lots of options... if you want a thrifty, quality sub that bangs and still maintains excellent sound quality (under $300), I'd suggest what I'm running now:
            http://www.edesignaudio.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php
            1 12 in a ported box sounds great for any kind of music you throw at it. 3 year warranty too.
            L7, DD, XXX, and others if you want to go loud and can sacrifice the sq/$.

Comment

what is your budget, i myself would go with Alpine MRD-M605
              if you are running 1 dvc i would use a monoblock.
              FA1

Comment

ehh i dont have that type of money... i think i got it right, need the 2 ohm model of the sub. i got that worked out. but now i need something else. my buddys car that my ish is going in... his deck doesnt have preamp outputs... so i have to wire it through the rear speakers? how the hell do i do this... meh

Comment

ehh i dont have that type of money... i think i got it right, need the 2 ohm model of the sub. i got that worked out. but now i need something else. my buddys car that my ish is going in... his deck doesnt have preamp outputs... so i have to wire it through the rear speakers? how the hell do i do this... meh
                  Line out converter

Comment

If your going to buy an amp for 400 bucks, (kinda overpriced for thepower your looking to get) You need to buy a better deck. You can get near any brand amp/and that alpine sub for under 400. the 280wrms on that amp per channel will not be to much for that sub. The RMS rating is a bit conservative on that sub so 20-40 watts more isnt going to make a difference.

I'm running 2 Solo Baric 12s with 1100 watts rms going to each of them they have an rms value of 600 wats rms each.

Comment

If I were you I'd go with 2 DVC subs...so much easier to wire up and more powerful than one, plus there are more 4 ohm stable amps than 2 ohm. What's your budget? For about $350 here's what I'd recommend from Ikesound.com:

Profile AP1000- $115 shipped I think
                      (2) Pioneer 12" DVCs (there are two models)- $150 shipped
                      Get an enclosure and wiring locally, and you're good to go. And don't run this stuff off your stock stereo; invest in a good headunit...it makes a world of difference, believe me.

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Ok first off, are you putting that equipment into your buddys car? If so why? Secondly, If I were you I wouldnt settle for a crappy profile amp, I would buy an alpine or rockford or if you are strapped for cash go with USAcoustics! Built in the US and they are tough! I personally owned two different ones and they took my abuse! As far as a sub goes buy a decent sub, the alpine 12"dual 2ohm or 4ohm, same sub different resistance in the voice coil, there is always an amp for a reasonable price and they are good subs! But might I suggest that you purchase a mono-block amplifier! Reason being because they are way more efficient when pushing subs, they always have built in lo-pass crossovers, are almost always 2ohm stable and sometimes 1ohm stable! I find that my two channel heats up alot considering it is 425w rms but my friend has a mono block and it barely heats up! same setup same car! The amps use different circuitry classes(ie bd b a c d ab) Go to www.rockfordfosgate.com and into their guides the best might I add!

WaC!

Comment

Buy a good head unit first you can find them on the street for 60-100 dollars.
                          Then save some more and get a good amp ( I like rockford ).

Comment

I have a good headunit. My OLD stuff went in my buddies car. I had a profile amp and LOVED it, sounded really good. Most likely will buy another. My friend set me back last night when talkin to him. I need the 2 ohm DVC model of the sub to get the 2ohm power rating, but I thought when you wired parallel (or was it series?) it makes 4 ohms into 2 ohms. Or is the sub always going to be whatever Ohm rating it comes with?

LIKE THISSSS!!!!! http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...pedance=DVC4x2
                            Last edited by drucifer92; 06-14-2005, 09:51 PM.

Comment

1 sub with dual 4ohm coils will be 2ohms when wired paralell, and 8ohms when seriesed! @2ohm coils it will be 1ohm when paralell and 4ohms when seriesed!

WaC!

Comment

Working...
                              X