Hidden Antenna Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
    I just want to note that the presumption that you can't use the defroster to defrost and act as an antenna at the same time is wrong. You can use the defroster wiring to defrost and act as the antenna for the radio, and further, it's relatively simple to do so, but you have to do some things to the circuitry first, so it's not exactly straight-forward.
    1. Filter the power to the defroster to ensure it is purely DC (or at least doesn't contain any AC component close to the range you're wishing to use the antenna for...).
    2. Connect the defroster to the power via inductors. This ensures that the AC component that is coupled to the defroster wiring via radio frequency (RF) coupling (the "antenna magic" that is RF) isn't allowed to pass back through to the power lines.
    3. Capacitively couple the defroster circuitry to the antenna hookup. This removes the DC component that is being supplied by powering the defroster, but allows the AC component due to RF coupling (the "antenna magic") to pass.

Step 2 may somewhat mitigate the need for step 1, but the less noise the better. Neither of the two steps are necessarily "costly," and it's easier to design the steps to solve independent problems (easier to kill two birds with two stones than to kill two birds with one...).

do i wire the flux capacitor in series or parallel to the turbo encabulator pulse width output?

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
      do i wire the flux capacitor in series or parallel to the turbo encabulator pulse width output?
      Yes.

But, to your point: I don't mean to be all "haha! you're wrong, here's some vague technical mumbo jumbo about why. kthxbai!"

I just read the first post and it didn't sit right with me, so I figured I would shed some light where I could. It's been a while since I've done some of this stuff, so I actually spent an hour confirming my suspicions (pulled out some texts and asked some friends I know are in the know). Maybe you'll (OP, others) pursue this idea, as it sounds like that's what you (OP) want after all.

You do need to do some maths, but I believe it's just algebra, hence the "relatively simple" comment. We need to calculate the values for the inductors (what values block the frequencies of interest (range of FM, and probably AM)), and a value for the capacitor (what value passes the frequencies of interest; this is much less critical than the inductors). You'll also probably need to filter the power to the antenna, but this doesn't need to be "designed" like the other values do; this is already a commonly solved problem with easy to use [consumer] products.
      Last edited by reklipz; 10-16-2013, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I still stick forks in sockets, there is no way I can figure that out.

During a robotics class I took, I designed the mechanical systems and the electronics were done by others.

Though I gave up fining the tape locally (no one has it under $30 or under 1/4") and ordered the tape from ebay so Tuesday next week, and I was right about my friend hoarding GTA so I will get the solder equipment tomorrow and most of importantly GTA back.
        Last edited by XCRN; 10-16-2013, 11:56 PM.
        Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

This: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=184820
          Instagram: robkhaira

MRT: 1991 EX-R: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...52#post3273952

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
            Yes.

But, to your point: I don't mean to be all "haha! you're wrong, here's some vague technical mumbo jumbo about why. kthxbai!"

I just read the first post and it didn't sit right with me, so I figured I would shed some light where I could. It's been a while since I've done some of this stuff, so I actually spent an hour confirming my suspicions (pulled out some texts and asked some friends I know are in the know). Maybe you'll (OP, others) pursue this idea, as it sounds like that's what you (OP) want after all.

You do need to do some maths, but I believe it's just algebra, hence the "relatively simple" comment. We need to calculate the values for the inductors (what values block the frequencies of interest (range of FM, and probably AM)), and a value for the capacitor (what value passes the frequencies of interest; this is much less critical than the inductors). You'll also probably need to filter the power to the antenna, but this doesn't need to be "designed" like the other values do; this is already a commonly solved problem with easy to use [consumer] products.
            I totally understand where your coming from but at the end of the expense for components and invested time the result will be film flam the heater grid isn't anywhere near as efficient aerial compared to a simple half dipole. the cd5 has an entire separate masking of conductor for its antenna. the effort isn't justifiable for the results albeit cool.

Comment

Working...
            X