Remote car start may harm starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote car start may harm starter?

Hey Cb7, I was thinking about getting a cheap universal remote start / car door unlocker. It also comes with an alarm (This one ). I didn't want it, but it comes with it so no problem. I was very breifly discussing the idea with a fellow cb7 owner and he said something to the effect of
    "Those are bad for our cars [...] (something about) they mess up the starters"
    Nothing in detail what so ever besides that allegedly this is what happened to a friend of his whom set up a remote start system.

My question is: Is there any real harm in setting up a remote system start with our cars? I couldn't fathom too much out side of the realm of a messed up R.S system from the factory, user error, or an unrelated problem affecting R.S. Any input on that?

||91 Accord EX|| All of my images are hosted courtesy of imageShack.com
    Door-Sensor fix (DIY)||Interfacing Arduino to Power locks
    RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.
    "The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
    "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

The remote start may keep cranking even when the car is started. That is the only harm that I see is possible. It is different with different alarms and what type of sensing you are using. Some of the better alarms allow programming crank timing.
    Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

I have never used a key to start my cb9, always by remote. Its just habit, hit the start button, and then unlock. Ive never had a problem with anything

Comment

I have seen some the starter keeps going and burns up and catch the car on fire.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

i wouldent want a remote car starter but thats just me id really like to get a alarm and unlocker for mine i think that would be sick XD
          MRTvvv
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193522

Comment

I havent heard of a remote start doing that however I guess it is possible.
            For the same price as that cheap knock off brand you could get a Pyhon 413 and not worry about the starter.
            FA1

Comment

i am running d.e.i. brand alarms on my cb7 and also my 04 pilot. they both have remote starts. the cb7 was installed back in 07, while the pilot was installed in 03-04. i start each car every other day w/ the remote start as i rotate cars. never had an issue with either remote starts.

Comment

Heck, on mine, the remote start is whats KEEPING my starter healthy! My key likes to get stuck in start- gotta replace that cylinder. lol. Remote start keeps that from happening. That's just the usual he said she said uninformed stuff. One person had something happen from a bad unit or install and doesn't know the real reason why and all of a sudden they know it all.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
                Traded with: Cb7xChun
                Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
                Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
                My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

I have 2 .

On my SE"s I have 2 same ones ,The ones I have are from auto page RS 900 had them since 2007 and the other 2008 haven't had any problems i recommend it just have a pro do it not some JOE Schmo who don't know what there doing. My 2 cents Billy.
                  Destiny Struggles To Reassert The Pattern That Was Meant To Be. Also Some Of These Members Are Wise Guys With There Wise Guy Answers . Also only inexperienced drivers put donuts in front . You can follow me but it's going to hurt!

Comment

Perfect, thanks for your inputs guys. I have remote start on another vechicle, and it helps to save me a couple of minutes when getting ready for work early in the morning. The time spent sitting in the car warming it up could be spent making breakfast, etc. Rarely I'll leave my key in the ignition in the garage, but I don't have quite the peace of mind to consantly do that.

"The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
                    "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

Comment

Over a year now with mine, and I can count the times I actually started the car with the key....it's remotes started every time......no issues

Comment

Im assuming everyone with the remote start has an automatic? or just always leave your car in nuetral..

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yes, my car is auto.

Comment

I installed alarms for years. The people who are discouraged are the people who dont pay money for a quality remote start.

I used dei and compustars and installed them. I have only had 2 of them go bad in the 12 years I been installing. And usually it was a faulty brain. Thats the truth.

If your in my area I can install them for a terrific price. You will be amazed lol.
                            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I am upgradeing my old alarm because somehow its not working the way it did when it was installed and I wanted to find a more conceled area for one and also my 2 way quit working after it was dropped. I have one on its way and have a idea where to mount just before I start I am gathering the infor for the install . Its got the auto start and a virtualtac or hardwire tac don't know which one to work with. And the place I want to put it it gets up to 140f according to my infrared guage I don't know if that heat will mess with how it performs. And just to clarify I am going to need all 3 ignition wires for this right?

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
                              Do it once, do it right.
                              Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
                              Missing My
                              White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
                              Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Working...
                              X