Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kill switch WITH alarm - helpful or unnecessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kill switch WITH alarm - helpful or unnecessary?

Let's say I have a kill switch wired so that when activated it completes the circuit from a component to ground and the car runs.

Now I install a car alarm. The alarm has an output that sends a ground (when the alarm is turned off prior to starting the car). That output could be sent to the component controlled by the kill switch.

Questions:

1) Is a kill switch even necessary with an alarm?
    2) If I keep the kill switch after installing the alarm would it defeat its purpose by wiring the kill switch to the alarm so that its deactivated when the alarm is deactivated? Or should I keep it entirely separate from the alarm circuit so that even if the alarm is bypassed the kill switch is still active and needs to manually flipped for the car to run.

After typing all that out it looks like the answer is: Keep kill switch and alarm circuits separate.

Please tell me if I'm wrong.
    90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

1) It's added security, it's your choice honestly.
    2) keep them seperate so the both the alarm and the kill switch determines whether or not the car runs

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Yeah I would keep them separate just to avoid the confusion. Like dude said, the extra security can't ever hurt. Plus if your alarm has starter kill then u can go head and rest easy that nobody is going to be stealing your car anytime soon unless they tow it.

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
        rest easy that nobody is going to be stealing your car anytime soon unless they tow it.
        A starter kill is one of the most useless features on a alarm

Comment

Keep em separate and add a fuel cutoff switch. Also do the door lock delete DIY.

My swap thread
          Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
            A starter kill is one of the most useless features on a alarm
            Well, coupled with a kill switch I don't see it as useless. Either way his car isn't gonna be started unless somebody really really wants his shit and takes the time to bypass both features.
            Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
            Keep em separate and add a fuel cutoff switch.
            That actually is a good suggestion.

Comment

I've got plans for wiring the driver's seat to be a weight activated stungun. The only problem is it keeps stunning until the batteries die or they fall off the seat.

You'd only forget to disarm it one time, though.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                I've got plans for wiring the driver's seat to be a weight activated stungun. The only problem is it keeps stunning until the batteries die or they fall off the seat.

You'd only forget to disarm it one time, though.
                Haha. Good god.
                I'm sure you could find a way to do it. I know nothing of wiring or anything like that, but could you put a timer or something on it?
                Something like this?

We're in the studio, stay tuned.----------(click)-------->

Comment

Well, coupled with a kill switch I don't see it as useless.
                  A starter kill takes three seconds to bypass.. Either push start a manual trans or popping the hood and jumping the terminals with a screw driver... I guess it helps but it wont stop a thief .

Plus if your alarm has starter kill then u can go head and rest easy that nobody is going to be stealing your car anytime soon unless they tow it.
                  This is just delusional and I was just pointing it out

If someone is serious about not having a car stolen then you need a ignition, ecu, or fuel kill... Or them all.

Comment

Ok, so with the standard DEI alarm with the starter kill, the thief just ignores (or tires to silence the siren), pops the hood and jumps the starter terminals?

So the value of the alarm is that it makes noise when he first activates it and hopefully scares him away?

Then a second kill switch on the fuel pump would be an entirely different problem for him to solve?

What about the clutch switch? The car doesn't start unless the clutch is in. If that "clutch is in" switch were deactivated (and reactivated with a manual switch) would that prevent the car from being started by jumpering the starter terminals? Or is the clutch switch "upstream" of the starter terminals?

Comment

Originally posted by H.M. View Post
                      Ok, so with the standard DEI alarm with the starter kill, the thief just ignores (or tires to silence the siren), pops the hood and jumps the starter terminals?

So the value of the alarm is that it makes noise when he first activates it and hopefully scares him away?

Then a second kill switch on the fuel pump would be an entirely different problem for him to solve?

What about the clutch switch? The car doesn't start unless the clutch is in. If that "clutch is in" switch were deactivated (and reactivated with a manual switch) would that prevent the car from being started by jumpering the starter terminals? Or is the clutch switch "upstream" of the starter terminals?
                      The clutch switch would not prevent it from starting like that...

The fuel cut would be another thing to add.. You are better off with the fuel cut then the starter cut but you can get more creative than a fuel cut and completely through them off...

Comment

Listen to my boy Todd. I don't call him the Black MacGuyver for nothing. I've seen this guy's creative work on both his 5th gens.
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

The clutch switch would not prevent it from starting like that...

The fuel cut would be another thing to add.. You are better off with the fuel cut then the starter cut but you can get more creative than a fuel cut and completely through them off...
                          Ok, can you give me some guidance please?

I have in my hand a Clifford 2 way paging alarm.

To that I should add a manual fuel cut off on a separate circuit?

What else?

Comment

can't never have too much security. The more the better but if thieves really want it they will do whatever.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

A starter kill takes three seconds to bypass.. Either push start a manual trans or popping the hood and jumping the terminals with a screw driver... I guess it helps but it wont stop a thief.
                              If you're able to jump the terminals with a screwdriver still then time to get a better alarm correctly installed. Thats hella old school, plus popping the clutch is pointless unless u crack the column.
                              I guess it helps but it wont stop a thief.
                              Well if thats the case then realistically nothing is going to stop a thief. If a thief wants your shit bad enough all he got to do is put a pistol in your face. Which makes all this alarm and kill switch talk a moot point.
                              This is just delusional and I was just pointing it out.
                              Delusional? Come on my dude, I'm not talking about a Code Alarm installed by some kid at Best Buy. And I would hope the OP isn't either. Guaranteed all these streets methods used to bypass alarms ain't working on my shit, guaranteed. U better come up with something new and improved. But regardless of all of that, an alarm of any kind is never going to keep somebody from stealing your shit. Its just a DETERRENT. And the more features u have the better deterrent u have.

Comment

Working...
                              X