Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amplifier Install Locations (Under Passenger Seat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amplifier Install Locations (Under Passenger Seat)

I'm thinking about buying an Alpine amplifier to complement my new Polk Audio/JBL speaker setup, but I'm thinking about where to effectively tuck the installation. I use my car to carry my road-bike (and bike gear) very often, so putting it in the trunk probably won't work.

Has anyone managed to install one underneath the passenger seat? The Alpine amplifier that I'm interested in buying is 2.5'' X 11'' X 10'', so it can presumably fit.

If anyone has managed to install one under the seat, do the seat rails and adjustments, etc, still work properly? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Nurega; 01-31-2011, 02:36 AM.
    Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
    2005 Acura TSX 6MT
    2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

The seatbelt control computer is under your pass seat. Perhaps up side down from the rear spaker tray.... between the speakers

Comment

Or on the back of the back seat? That way it's not just flopping around?

Comment

under the front seat, under the back seat ( middle ), beind one of the outer coushons or the back seat, or u could remove the passenger kick pannel and place it beside the ecu.
        frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by 90accords View Post
          The seatbelt control computer is under your pass seat. Perhaps up side down from the rear spaker tray.... between the speakers
          oh really? I always thought that area had some room. Oh well. Between the rear speakers could work...I'll take a look tomorrow to check for clearance between that area and my bike.

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
          Or on the back of the back seat? That way it's not just flopping around?
          I can't mount it there. I fold the rear seat down at least once a week to carry luggage, my road bike, or random building materials. The amp would get in the way, especially when carrying my bike/metal pipes, etc. I pretty much use this car like a truck

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
          under the front seat, under the back seat ( middle ), beind one of the outer coushons or the back seat, or u could remove the passenger kick pannel and place it beside the ecu.
          a) 90accords claims there is no space under the passenger seat; this was my first idea (and most ideal, too!).
          b) Is there space under the back seat? If you meant in the foot-area for the rear-center passenger seat, I carry 5 people pretty often (inconvenient).
          c) Behind the cushions - see my reply to nine_deuce.
          d) The passenger kick panel idea could work, side-by-side with the ECU. I'll take some measurements to see if that works out. If anything, this will be my backup location if the under-the-passenger-seat location doesn't work.

_
          Thanks everyone, for the responses. 90accords, are you sure there is no space under the passenger seat? This would be the most ideal location.
          Last edited by Nurega; 01-31-2011, 02:33 AM.
          2005 Acura TSX 6MT

Comment

Depends. Do you have automatic or manual seatbelts? If manual, there's plenty of room. If auto, there's not as much, but it still may work.

I've had a lot of equipment under my seats. None quite that big, but that might fit. My largest piece was a 6 1/2" x 13 1/4" x 2" amp, that fit just fine. Only thing, if you move the seat forward at all, you can see the amp sticking out. And running wires is a bit of a pain. I also believe that it rubbed against the little metal cable under the seat. This was on the driver's seat btw. It should fit under the passenger's seat if you don't have auto seatbelts. Currently I have a CD changer junction box, a massive passive ( ) crossover, and a stereo brain under there, fits just fine. When the seat is all the way back, you can start to see it if you slide it forward.

And for the love of God, don't mount it upside down. Also don't throw it across a parking lot, hit it with a hammer, open it up and piss on the circuit board, or do anything else that will likely void your warranty and damage the amp.

Comment

In the spare tire?
              You could cut out a piece of wood a little bit bigger than the amp and set it in the tire and mount the amp to it. false floor style.

On the back of the front seats?
              In the back seat?
              Behind the carpet in the trunk?
              On the bottom of the trunk lid?
              On the hood? (maximum cooling)
              Top of the rear deck, hidden?
              Under the headliner mounted to the roof?
              Be creative

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                Depends. Do you have automatic or manual seatbelts? If manual, there's plenty of room. If auto, there's not as much, but it still may work.

I've had a lot of equipment under my seats. None quite that big, but that might fit. My largest piece was a 6 1/2" x 13 1/4" x 2" amp, that fit just fine. Only thing, if you move the seat forward at all, you can see the amp sticking out. And running wires is a bit of a pain. I also believe that it rubbed against the little metal cable under the seat. This was on the driver's seat btw. It should fit under the passenger's seat if you don't have auto seatbelts. Currently I have a CD changer junction box, a massive passive ( ) crossover, and a stereo brain under there, fits just fine. When the seat is all the way back, you can start to see it if you slide it forward.

And for the love of God, don't mount it upside down. Also don't throw it across a parking lot, hit it with a hammer, open it up and piss on the circuit board, or do anything else that will likely void your warranty and damage the amp.
                I have the auto belts. I did some measurements, and it looks exactly how you describe it. I think under-the-passenger-seat won't work for me; I use the back seat very often, and I don't want complaints about lack of legroom.

I've decided to install it under the carpet in the trunk. All the other locations would cause some level of annoyance or inconvenience...like I said in an earlier post, I use this car like a truck, always carrying metal parts or my bike.
                Because I have a full-size spare, the plywood cover over the spare tire is lifted up about 1.5 inches, leaving an awkward gap on the right and left sides. I'll probably mount the amp on one of these sides, as shown below:

|____------------AMP |
                aaaaa( spare tire )

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
                Last edited by Nurega; 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM.
                2005 Acura TSX 6MT

Comment

i have mine under my front seat lol

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
                    i have mine under my front seat lol
                    Does it interfere with seat rails/rear passenger legroom when mounted there?
                    2005 Acura TSX 6MT

Comment

nope not at all, not even close. shorter wires = more power and less distortion. i have 6 foot monster RCA's going to it with monster speaker wire. everything is run under the carpet not around the sides of the door sills ( <-- which is super tacky IMO )

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

How much more power and less distortion does it make? Is it noticeable? Cause I wanna do some double blind testing

Comment

it can be mounted under the rear seat i have dont it. but you have to do a few modifications. you have to cut the center rail out and then it fits just fine i noticed no differances and neaither did my friends

Comment

How do you mount it under the rear seat? I want pics, I don't see how you put an amp there...

Comment

then mount with self tapping screws or velcro or what ever u like

Comment

Working...
                              X