Domelight not working right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domelight not working right

I just installed a key-less entry/security alarm on my car and everything went great, except that now when the doors are closed the domelight remains on, but faintly.
    Here is a video so you guys know what I'm talking about, I tapped into the negative door trigger wire(since thats what our cb's are) in the main harness of the control module.

what can I do to fix it, did I wired something wrong?
    Maybe on the diagram they have the cables mixed up and I'm using the positve door trigger wire? HELP!!

I'm using this alarm if it matters.
    Last edited by sow3r; 08-09-2010, 08:57 PM.

JENNA 91 LX

RIP 12-11-09 - 12/06/10
    JANE 99 Infiniti i30
    2-9-11 - current
    "Life is simple, you make choices and you don't look back."

is your domelight led? if so....

i did my entire dash led and afterward i noticed the same situation. Some lights on the dash just would not go off all of the way. It was very frusterating and i just could not figure it out.

finally i got the idea to put the light on a relay. Led's take less power to turn on and what you are seeing is a voltage leak. The relay uses a physical switch to open and close the circuit, this way there is not a voltage leak. They usually take around 3 volts or something to actually force the lever closed. There is currently less voltage than that going to your light. But when it gets the full power, the relay will be tripped. Therefore, your dome light will no longer be on half assed. it will either be on all the way, or not at all.

Comment

yes its a LED bulb, but it works fine as soon as i take the negative door trigger cable, but when i put it back on it does that, pretty weird... anyway im really a noob in the electrical department
      how would i wire the relay? got a diagram for me?

by the way thank you so much for helping me!

JENNA 91 LX

RIP 12-11-09 - 12/06/10
      JANE 99 Infiniti i30
      2-9-11 - current

Comment

actually, the more i think about it, you may want to try a diode instead. If the dome light always has 12 volts going to it and the ground is switched, then when you plug in your alarm to the ground side of the circuit it faintly comes on because of a slight voltage leak in the alarm. that is, the direction of energy is going into the alarm. this is weird.

to test this take an ammeter and put it in the circuit between the alarm and the neg door trigger which you tapped into.

if the meter reads that energy is flowing positivity, aka pos to neg in terms of the meter, then you have found your leak.

if all of this crap turns out to be true. wire in a diode to prevent this backwards flow of energy. your alarm should still work properly because that circuit is supposed to flow the other way.

looking forward to hearing from you

Comment

I see, it makes sense now. I will try this as soon as my multimeter and diodes get here!
          thanks man +1 for you!!

JENNA 91 LX

RIP 12-11-09 - 12/06/10
          JANE 99 Infiniti i30
          2-9-11 - current

Comment

just make sure that the diode is rated to handle the amperage that goes through the circuit. And make sure to get back to me if it works or not.

Comment

Working...
            X