Smallest size box for a 15"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smallest size box for a 15"?

I want to ditch my 2 10s and go with a 15 in a sealed box. What is a decent cheap 500W RMS 15"? And would a 15" be more efficient + have better low end extension than a comparable 12"?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
    would a 15" be more efficient + have better low end extension than a comparable 12"?
    That's really going to depend on the sub. A cheaper 15 will not be better than a better quality 12.

IMHO, 15s are rarely good for SQ....I'm running a Kaption SPL 1200 in a sealed 1.2 cubic foot box. Tight and clean, but it handles 7-800 watts RMS without issue. When I first fired it up, it would make my CD player skip, had to turn it down. If you're looking for the smallest sized box a 15 can perform in, you should just go with a 12 in a medium sized box.

Anyways, it's all going to depend on what's important to you, SQ or SPL
    1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

SQ is definitely the priority, but more so low Qtc (as much low frequency reproduction as possible + flat response). If I could get a somewhat light ~2cf sealed box for a 12 I'd probably just do that. But most 15" sealed boxes are that size standard, and even if it's a little small for the 15" it would still be much better than a 12" (twice the cone area!). Not to mention 15s in general are just more efficient than 12s, etc.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Well it sounds like you know what you want. I'm just not a big fan of 15s. Most of the time they just end up sounding muddy. I listen to a lot of different types of music so I guess I find a powerful 12 to be the best compromise. Plus it takes up a lot less room in the trunk!

Have you checked out something like the Image Dynamics IDMAX 12? Very good low frequency response......
        1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

keep the 2 10's unless they are cheap. They have more displacement than a 12 and can be put in the correct sized box and still be small instead of choking a 15 in a too small box.

Go ported, tune low.

PS 15s don't have twice the cone area of a 12.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            keep the 2 10's unless they are cheap. They have more displacement than a 12 and can be put in the correct sized box and still be small instead of choking a 15 in a too small box.

Go ported, tune low.

PS 15s don't have twice the cone area of a 12.
            Ok 15s have like 1.5x the area of a 12 (225 vs 144 sq in very very roughly)

And going ported is out of the question. I want a setup with a small footprint (which my 10s now definitely don't have. The box doesn't even fit between the shock towers; but I can't say shit; it was free!) but nice quick response and a flat rolloff... a 12 *might* do that, but a 15 definitely will do that. A sealed box for a 15 will be smaller than my 2 10s or a decently ported 12; and I had a sealed 12" Type-R which was actually great till it got stolen but it still didn't go low enough for me.

I have even found a sub... MB Quart RWE-352... a 2.0 cf would be somewhat oversized compared to manuf recommendations. Sorry, this was more me just thinking out loud; I think I've made a decision.

Comment

You can port a box for 2 10's and have it about 2 cu. ft.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

You can port a box for 2 10's and have it about 2 cu. ft.
                Plus the volume of the port....

This could possibly work though. I will do some calculations

Comment

Ok 15s have like 1.5x the area of a 12 (225 vs 144 sq in very very roughly)
                  12 = 113.097 sq in
                  15 = 176.715 sq in

There's a big difference in a square area and a circular area.

Comment

1 ur sig is killing me hahaha

2, the ratios of the areas are the same (225/1.27 = 176, 144/1.27 = 113)...

However I did some searching... there is a pair of JL Audi 10W6s for sale for $50 locally, and I found a dual 10" box tuned to about 30Hz w/2.7 cf internal volume that will fit perfectly. $150 minus whatever I get for the box I have now should be good; my only fear (from past experiences with boxes that were tuned too high) is that it will be boomy....

I will hold off on the 15" though.

Comment

give me specs about the sub and ill tell you everything you need to know for making a box, hell if you want PM me and i can get a box made for you, my buddy makes them theyre hand built and i dropped mine down a flight of stairs without even a problem on accident once. he glues, nails, dowels, then bondos them shut.

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
                      And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
                      Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

1 ur sig is killing me hahaha

2, the ratios of the areas are the same (225/1.27 = 176, 144/1.27 = 113)...

However I did some searching... there is a pair of JL Audi 10W6s for sale for $50 locally, and I found a dual 10" box tuned to about 30Hz w/2.7 cf internal volume that will fit perfectly. $150 minus whatever I get for the box I have now should be good; my only fear (from past experiences with boxes that were tuned too high) is that it will be boomy....

I will hold off on the 15" though.
                        30hz is pretty low. It should have a pretty flat response with the w6's.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Anyone know how efficiency is affected when you double up on subs? Ie are 2 of the same sub more efficient than 1 of that sub? This is getting too complicated.

Comment

its 3db more efficient when both subs get equal power.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

its 3db more efficient when both subs get equal power.
                              Meaning, if I give 2 of the same subs 150W RMS, together they will make 3db more sound than one of them getting 300W RMS?

Comment

Working...
                              X