What controls car's voltage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What controls car's voltage?

Does anyone know if the cb7 has some kind of a voltage regulator or anything like that which operates when the car is running? I know if I connect my car to a battery charger so I can listen to music for a long time while messing with stuff on the car the voltage on my meter will read over 14 volts, but if I turn the car on, the meter will always drop to about 13.5 volts (the meter's off by about a volt so it's not low). I'd think the reading would stay above 14 volts with the charger still connected but it doesn't so I just wonder if there is something on the car or in the ECU that limits the voltage when it's running? Thanks!

dont think so... do u have a HO alt or rewound one? with mine running and 2 batts and the HO alt i keep a 13.9 which is awsome but i only have a 300.4 running right now and thats also with lights and blower on.

if you got 2 batts and no HO or rewound alt thats a load on the alt that only does 80amps max.
    Members Ride sold...
    I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

I have a rewound alternator. I wanna add an HO alternator so I'll have plenty of power, but I'm not sure what kind to go with. I'm just curious why the voltage on my meter reads lower with the car turned on. If my meter were accurate it'd probably show about 15 volts with the charger on and car off, 14.2 or something with the car on and both the alternator and charger running. That's why I wonder if there's something in the car that regulates the voltage when the car is running.

Comment

yeah theres one in the alt but you shouldnt see 15v thats kinda scary being most batts wont go over 14.5... ill get the meter out tomorrow and try to get some pics...
        Members Ride sold...

Comment

It'd be so much easier if I had my car during the week. I think the charger probably reaches close to 15 volts, and the alt goes up around 14, I don't have a real accurate meter to tell. I just know the voltage drops when the car is on so I wonder why. And it's common for people with High Output alternators to use an external regulator and charge them at 15 volts so it shouldn't hurt anything too much.

Comment

gotta be very very careful when doin so. whats the charging rate(amps) when its at that setting?those externals give lots of probs by the way.
            Members Ride sold...

Comment

I forget how many amps that is, I think that's over 10 amps though, maybe it's 20 amps when it does that. I'm just curious why the car restricts the charger's voltage once it's turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                Does anyone know if the cb7 has some kind of a voltage regulator or anything like that which operates when the car is running? I know if I connect my car to a battery charger so I can listen to music for a long time while messing with stuff on the car the voltage on my meter will read over 14 volts, but if I turn the car on, the meter will always drop to about 13.5 volts (the meter's off by about a volt so it's not low). I'd think the reading would stay above 14 volts with the charger still connected but it doesn't so I just wonder if there is something on the car or in the ECU that limits the voltage when it's running? Thanks!
                you are charging the battery to a SURFACE charge of 14 volts. if you turn the car on, the car will always drop in voltage cause its being used.

all cars should be at 13.8 to 14.4. if your keeping consistant at that rate your ok, but if u want your car to last longer while the car is off...get a deep cycle battery.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I already have two really good batteries, a Kinetik HC2400 and a Stinger SP1000. I still don't like to drain the battery if I'm gonna potentially be playing music for a couple hours

Comment

Yes there is a voltage reg., pretty sure it's an internal in the alt. Also if you want to play music for a while without drainging the battery they make a converter so you can run it off a wall outlet.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                    "The Turtle"
                    DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Yes. The alt has a built in regulator. It probably doesn't sense that big of a load when the charger is hooked so it won't compensate as much.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                      X