Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotta change my trunk setup. A little advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta change my trunk setup. A little advice?

Ok, I'm finally going on the bottle. (hurray!) The problem is my trunk space.

I'm currently carrying around a 4.73 cu. ft. sealed box, seperate compartments for each 12. They're JL W0 8s bridged to 4 ohms, which maxes out my Alpine MRV-T707 at 600 watts, which is perfect for the W0s. I'm considering two seperate boxes, one in each rear corner of the trunk with the bottle between them, or a smaller box between the wheel wells. (the current box won't fit.) I'm also considering a single sub, but I don't want to lose all my bass.

Current trunk set up:

Actual size of box:

My questions are:

If I build a smaller box between the wells, should I face the box into the cabin (I think I have them firing backwards because it sounded louder, but I might have done it for show, it's been a while)

Can I switch to a single 600W 12 (instead of the two 300W 12s) and still get the same db level?

Can I switch to a single 600W 15 and get the same db level?

If I switch to two seperate boxes in the back, can I go with two slot ports tuned to different frequencies (say 25hz for one and 45 hz for the other one) yet still run both bridged together, or will it mess with the signal from the amp?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking at your current set up. You could keep it as is, just bolt your amp and capacitor to the box, put your bottle where the amp is. Done! Or, were you wanting to change it up, just to change it up/

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
      Looking at your current set up. You could keep it as is, just bolt your amp and capacitor to the box, put your bottle where the amp is. Done! Or, were you wanting to change it up, just to change it up/
      I definitely want to change it up. My original plans were a custom designed bandpass from JL. It would look sick, but weigh considerably more than the beast I have. (although a 9 inch round port that sticks out of the box 4 inches would be sweet.) I do want to redo the trunk though, the factory carpet looks like shit, and since I like to show her once in a while, I'd like to do something that's a little different. Plus, with the bottle where the amp is, it's a little inconvenient to climb back there and hook it up or remove it from the car when she's parked. If it was a sedan, no big deal, but the coupe makes it a little tougher to get to.

Comment

why would you be constantly removing it? Leave it in the car. If it is mounted where your amp is NOONE will know its there unless you have your seat down constantly or you have STEAL ME stickers on your car advertising it. Honestly that would be the best place for it and if you dont want the hassle of turning it on and off get a remote bottle opener.
        "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
        sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
        Did work for: jhoff_cb7
        Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

Originally posted by JDMCB3Si View Post
          why would you be constantly removing it? Leave it in the car. If it is mounted where your amp is NOONE will know its there unless you have your seat down constantly or you have STEAL ME stickers on your car advertising it. Honestly that would be the best place for it and if you dont want the hassle of turning it on and off get a remote bottle opener.
          I'm more concerned with the videos and pics I've seen of a full bottle in a hot trunk and valve failure. Plus, I'll need to refill it occasionally. And I really do want to change the trunk!

Comment

Why not plate mount the woofers in your trunk. Use the spare tire well, build the floor up a little bit, and go from there. Then, mount the bottle on one side of the trunk. It'd give you the use of your entire trunk, yet still keep your stereo set up.

I really like this set up, it's so clean.

I was thinking about doing something like this in my trunk, but, I'm unsure if I want subs in my car. I've got 2 old school JL Audio 12w4's with a Kicker Impulse 2252ix amp sitting in my closet

Comment

My questions are:

If I build a smaller box between the wells, should I face the box into the cabin (I think I have them firing backwards because it sounded louder, but I might have done it for show, it's been a while)

-You will want to face the box tot he rear.

Can I switch to a single 600W 12 (instead of the two 300W 12s) and still get the same db level?

-No.

Can I switch to a single 600W 15 and get the same db level?

-No, According to my volume Calculator, it wouldnt be as loud.

If I switch to two seperate boxes in the back, can I go with two slot ports tuned to different frequencies (say 25hz for one and 45 hz for the other one) yet still run both bridged together, or will it mess with the signal from the amp?

-You can, but it's not reccomended and tho I havent seen it done or can find any info that will disprove of this or aprove, I would have to say not worth the time investing. A properly tuned box can sound very good.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Here is what I suggest. Tho this wouldnt be removable once installed. Have custom ported box designed and built for your car to face into the cabin. And then foam the box into the car, essentially sealing the front side of the box to your cabin, giving you more bass, and no trunk rattle.

I can help you with the box design and the plan to foam it into the car and such. Shoot me a pm if interested...
              My System
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165155

Comment

i dont know what type of numbers your putting up sealed but i dont see why you couldnt get a nice sound and good numbers with 1 12' in a large ported box tuned low. i Think with a good quality sub i think 2.2-2.5@30-33hz would give you plenty of volume and a good load of low end if the sub you get can drop that low. the box would be smaller then that 2 12" sealed box and would be easier to remove also...just throwing out an idea 4 u.

F/S:Pioneer Premier Deh-880prs w/ ipod adapter $220

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                  I'm more concerned with the videos and pics I've seen of a full bottle in a hot trunk and valve failure. Plus, I'll need to refill it occasionally. And I really do want to change the trunk!
                  Full bottle in a hot trunk wont hurt anything. If heat was a problem there would never have been bottle warmers invented. Valve failure is RARELY an issue in most brands of nitrous.
                  "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
                  sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
                  Did work for: jhoff_cb7
                  Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

Originally posted by hybrid90accord View Post
                    i dont know what type of numbers your putting up sealed but i dont see why you couldnt get a nice sound and good numbers with 1 12' in a large ported box tuned low. i Think with a good quality sub i think 2.2-2.5@30-33hz would give you plenty of volume and a good load of low end if the sub you get can drop that low. the box would be smaller then that 2 12" sealed box and would be easier to remove also...just throwing out an idea 4 u.
                    I've had it measured at 126 db, centered between the front seats, so I don't know about getting the same db levels. I think I'm going to go with two smaller matched slot ports. One on each side in the back of the trunk. I'll photoshop something up.

Originally posted by JDMCB3Si View Post
                    Full bottle in a hot trunk wont hurt anything. If heat was a problem there would never have been bottle warmers invented. Valve failure is RARELY an issue in most brands of nitrous.

That's really good to know!

Comment

you can get in the 130-140 range with 1 12 in the right enclosure with the right amount of power. The last g35 i did in the shop did 128 sealed and we upgraded to a 2cu@30hz ported enclosure sub back ported up enclosure threw the factory sub hole. That was using 1 10w7

i know he is in the mid 130's and its pure SQ set up and that a much larger car then ours so i know great numbers are obtainable without the added space and room and power shouldnt be an issue since your powering 2 subs im sure if u went with just one and bridged ur amp if it isnt already that 1 sub u choose should have more then enough power.
                      Last edited by hybrid90accord; 05-12-2009, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hybrid90accord View Post
                        you can get in the 130-140 range with 1 12 in the right enclosure with the right amount of power. The last g35 i did in the shop did 128 sealed and we upgraded to a 2cu@30hz ported enclosure sub back ported up enclosure threw the factory sub hole. That was using 1 10w7

i know he is in the mid 130's and its pure SQ set up and that a much larger car then ours so i know great numbers are obtainable without the added space and room and power shouldnt be an issue since your powering 2 subs im sure if u went with just one and bridged ur amp if it isnt already that 1 sub u choose should have more then enough power.
                        The work looks nice, but it doesn't look like any more room than I have. The key thing for me is finding the space for the bottle, and still retaining as many db as possible. I'm also trying to stay as low budget as possible, so if I can use my existing subs, that's even better.

I'm leaning towards something like this. It's not exact, but it gives a good idea of what I'm considering. Not the best photoshop I've ever done, but it works.

Comment

its a bad angle but its still plenty of room. he only lost room between the trear tie bars/fenders hump. he could fit 3 large suit caes and enough were he can go grocery shopping if needed and not have to put food in the back seat was his only request. if u play with your demensions u can get the box between the rear fender humps and still get plenty of output.

Comment

false floor 2 subs center over the spare tire with the port of your choice. then the amp can be mounted towards the seat between the seat and subs. the bottle can then be on one side or the other?
                            Members Ride sold...
                            I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

Originally posted by loud92CB7db18 View Post
                              false floor 2 subs center over the spare tire with the port of your choice. then the amp can be mounted towards the seat between the seat and subs. the bottle can then be on one side or the other?
                              I'm just not a big fan of floor mounted subs. They're just waiting for me to drop something through them and I know it. lol I'm gutting the trunk this weekend, so I'll figure something out. I'm trying to have it together except for carpet (or maybe vinyl for something different. Durasuede? Something unusual but tasteful) by Thursday when the kit gets delivered.

Comment

Working...
                              X