Proper grounds and Pos + *read*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper grounds and Pos + *read*

So I just have a question. I have tons of electronics in my car. I know all my wiring is messed up and not right and I wanna fix everything and make it all nice and shit.

Okay Now on many things I have, I have a Ground on them. Should I just sand down some metal and screw it down into something metal for all the grounds on my electronics.

Now heres the tricky shit

I have tons of POS wire. Right now I have everything spliced into wires from the lighter, and from other postive wires and shit, I know its not right.

How can I make everything go to one main 12v source? Would every wire have to go to the fuse box?

I just know I have some engine noise from this shit. ESP from my wideband. where ever I have it wired up to on the POS, well, its making noise

So i need to figure out how to do this all properly.

Originally posted by Maple50175 View Post
    Okay Now on many things I have, I have a Ground on them. Should I just sand down some metal and screw it down into something metal for all the grounds on my electronics.
    Yes, but find a bolt thats already in the car so you don't have to drill a new hole.

How can I make everything go to one main 12v source? Would every wire have to go to the fuse box?
    No, buy some terminal strips from radio shack and run a pos wire with a fuse to the strip and connect all of your electronics to it. You'll use it like a small distribution block.

How do you know the noise is being caused by the wideband and not something else?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

That's what I was going to suggest. The terminal strips. If they have them for both the positive and negative, I'd suggest going that route. That way you have 1 common positive and 1 common ground.

Alternator noise is a bitch, dealing with it on my Kicker Impulse 654, but, I think it's the amp, just too lazy to take it out and have it looked at

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175 View Post
        So I just have a question. I have tons of electronics in my car. I know all my wiring is messed up and not right and I wanna fix everything and make it all nice and shit.

Now heres the tricky shit

I have tons of POS wire. Right now I have everything spliced into wires from the lighter, and from other postive wires and shit, I know its not right.

I just know I have some engine noise from this shit. ESP from my wideband. where ever I have it wired up to on the POS, well, its making noise

So i need to figure out how to do this all properly.
        Oh crap Maples back with problems
        As above for the grounds use the standard bolt holes with ring terminals on the earth wires (if you are adding ring terminals (or any for that matter), solder them, don't just crimp them.

When you say you have tonnes of POS wires - What are each of the appliances? And moreso what are the current demands of each item?

You need to explain everything a bit better for us to give you a better answer.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
        X