hardwiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hardwiring?

if i want to hardwire something in do i need to take the positive lead directly to the battery or is there somewhere that i can tap into the positive current already there? Is there any spot on the fuse panel i can hook the positive lead up to?
    Last edited by Aaron; 09-30-2004, 11:25 PM.

Get a FREE PLAYSTATION 3 before anyone else can!!!

for an amp? i'd go dirrectly to the battery, you need great current flow.. There's several realy easy spots to run a power wire through the firewall on the passanger side..

Just pull back the carpet, you'll see a few circles cut in the foam crap, pull one out, pull out the grommet and wire.. there's a few grommets that pretty much just come out.
    --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

hardwiring is referd to when someone cuts the stock wire harness for the deck.

i dont know what you are refering to.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

i thought that hardwiring was not using a stock power (like when you hook up a cd player and they have the skinny power wire right there) and then wiring it directly to the battery. it depends what you want to do it with. if its for an amp or cd player, run the power to the batt. if its like neons or sumthin with a verry small draw, run it to the back of the cig lighter.

Comment

when i said hardwiring i meant that i was gonna cut off the cig lighter adaptor and just run the wires myself...i wanna do it for some neons, so i should tap into the back of the cig lighter rather than tap into the fuse panel?

Comment

oh wrong term then.

well u can do the cig lighter if you wish....it all depends. it just comes down to where do u want to spend ur time, in the fuse box or under the cig lighter.
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I'd say to go with the fuse box, but it wouldn't make much of a difference, just personal preference.
              --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

if i take it to the fuse box, which fuse should i tap off and am i gonna need to replace the fuse with a bigger one so it wont blow?

i always thought hardwiring just meant anything where you had to splice wires and join them yourself, without the use of a plug, i guess i used the word the wrong way, whoops...

Comment

yeah the term hardwiring just means hokking up to 12 volt directly either it be thru fuse panel, splicing into something else, or right form batters. Check the back of the thing you want to wire, and it should have an amperage rating. Then, when you tap into the fuse panel, just buy a slightly higher amp fuse to compensate. Just make sure you put a nifty switch somewhere along the line so you dont ride all day and all night with those lights.
                  Last edited by skubydobdo; 10-01-2004, 05:16 PM.

A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
                  Frost White CB7 Crew - Member #4
                  Official Ebay Whore Crew #9

Comment

yea i will...does it matter if the switch interrupts the positive or the negative flow?

Comment

I guess either will work, but I've always put it inline with the positive. I had two colors on mine at one point, and i got matching light-up toggle switches so if i wanted just one color, i would flick the corresponding switch. It was neat.

A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
                      Frost White CB7 Crew - Member #4
                      Official Ebay Whore Crew #9

Comment

Yes either positive or negitive will work. If you use negitive you will not have a light up toggle. If you use positive you can ground the switch and be able to have the light come on when the switch is on. I have done it both ways, to me it all depends on which wire is easier to run, i hate running wires.
                        Girls are like yellow lights, do i go for it or do i stop?

Comment

on part of the fuse box there are some bare pins. not sure what they are for. one is tied in with the parking light circuit, one is constant, and I believe there are two for accessory. Not sure what kind of stuff you can run off of them, but I've hooked up radar detectors and other low amperage electronics there with no problems. Put in and inline fuse because I'm not sure that they are fused, and you can use a female spade connector (like for a speaker) to connect it to the spade on the fuse box. Neons are usually low amperage pieces. especially if they can be hooked up to the cigarette lighter.
                          1993 Honda Accord LX
                          1997 Volkswagen GTI-VR6

Comment

i have neons under my seats but i can't seem to wire the toggle switch correctly.. i hooked up the postive and neg.. but the switch doesn't turn them off i don't know if it's a bad switch or am i missin something
                            "Know Your Rank"

Comment

"Know Your Rank"

Comment

Working...
                              X